Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best PC trackball interface  (Read 843 times)

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 09:56:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best PC trackball interface
« on: March 30, 2023, 01:48:25 pm »
Looking to make a mame trackball arcade and want to know what's my best way to get VGA and a pair of millipede trackballs to the cabinets Jamma interface.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
Re: Best PC trackball interface
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 01:49:37 pm »
Looking to make a mame trackball arcade and want to know what's my best way to get VGA and a pair of millipede trackballs to the cabinets Jamma interface.

Wondering if I want to try to use a PS2 port to minimize input lag on the trackballs, wondering if I can support 2 trackballs at once through a PS2 interface though

Whoops, didn't mean to write myself twice
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:54:52 pm by bimm25e »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 02:08:56 pm »
Wondering if I want to try to use a PS2 port to minimize input lag on the trackballs, wondering if I can support 2 trackballs at once through a PS2 interface though

honestly if you can press a stopwatch button to start a timer from 00:00:00.00 and press it again to stop it at 00:00:00.10... you'll still have a hard time noticing the difference between a ps2 mouse and a usb mouse poll rate. the difference between the best ps2 mouse and the worst usb mouse might be 15 to 18ms.

usb will support multiple mice...ps2 will not. (at least not in any way i can think of ATM)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 03:43:26 pm »
what's my best way to get VGA and a pair of millipede trackballs to the cabinets Jamma interface.
The only optical (mouse) encoder that I've seen that can handle two trackballs with just one encoder board is the Opti-PAC.
- It should also be possible with an Arduino, but I'm not sure how to make that work.   :dunno

For VGA to JAMMA, check out the J-PAC.

Scott

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 11:06:15 am »

honestly if you can press a stopwatch button to start a timer from 00:00:00.00 and press it again to stop it at 00:00:00.10... you'll still have a hard time noticing the difference between a ps2 mouse and a usb mouse poll rate. the difference between the best ps2 mouse and the worst usb mouse might be 15 to 18ms.

usb will support multiple mice...ps2 will not. (at least not in any way i can think of ATM)

I've always been able to notice miniscule lags, and I consider input lag as part of an additive group of lag; input lag+processing lag+display lag all kinda combine.  If I can get all as low as possible I find the experience to be the most enjoyable.