Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Who wants to clean up the Jumping Jack marquee?  (Read 1937 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Who wants to clean up the Jumping Jack marquee?
« on: March 29, 2023, 01:52:06 pm »
I would do this myself if I knew how... I'm hoping someone out there can create/clean up the marquee for Jumping Jack (Universal 1984).  It would need to be turned into a high-resolution file because the current size below looks extremely pixelated when displayed on a monitor.

This is the best version I could find:

The colors are not right - on KLOV there is a pic of the cabinet and you can see the checkerboard is green and black:

There are other art files for reference HERE and HERE

I'm currently using a homemade marquee where I just chopped off the top of the flyer.  It's fine but I'd love to be able to display the "real" one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 02:00:28 pm by javeryh »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Who wants to clean up the Jumping Jack marquee?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 02:57:58 pm »
Wish I had the skill to help!

Never got to play that one.
Funny how random some of the artwork was for some games, isn't it?
What does checkerboard have to do with bouncing around through a jungle paradise anyway?!

You have an original cabinet?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 03:25:05 pm »
You have an original cabinet?

I wish!  Right now this is how I'm playing it:

It's a seriously fun game.  Kind of stupid and each stage is really just an obstacle course but you can kill enemies by timing your jumps on the see-saws.  Colors are awesome and it follows the Universal formula for extra lives like Mr. Do! by spelling out "EXTRA" but the funny part is that I've sunk tons of hours into this game and I've never seen a letter appear on screen.  I have no idea how the extra lives actually work!

Right now my high score is 51,725, which is pretty OK, I think.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:27:34 pm by javeryh »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 07:41:45 pm »
See-saw launch the white monkeys for EXTRA letters apparently!

I need to get some more control panels built for one of the MAME boxes so I can play this one.

Hopefully a graphics genius will appear here for you soon.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

10yard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:23:54 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 06:13:45 am »
How's this for ya?

I redid the artwork making some guesses at the colours.  The high resolution PNG (3200x1007 pixels) is attached along with the source PDN from paint.net which contains all the separated layers.  I could go back and adjust colours if something is not right.

I found a neat chequerboard generator at https://pattern.monster/checkerboard/ for the background.
The Universal logo was adjusted from the one found on the Mr Do! marquee.
The high quality "Jumping Jack" lettering was pulled from the arcade flyer on Launchbox database at https://images.launchbox-app.com/019a03d3-d412-4a51-8b3e-a072e6a94ec8.jpg

Looks like a cool game to check out.
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 12:11:01 am »
This is awesome.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 09:31:59 am »
Holy crap this is amazing!!  Thank you 10yard!!   :notworthy:

Our own zeorangr also took a crack at it yesterday and sent me THIS.  I threw it into my cab and it looks great.

One thing I noticed upon close inspection is if you look at the red background in the front of the "J"s it DOES NOT appear to be perfectly round in the MAME Extras Pack marquee image.  10yard's version looks identical to this: 

BUT, BowloRamaGuy (the Jumping Jack WR holder on Twin Galaxies) sent me a picture of an actual Jumping Jack marquee that he owns and it has the rounded background:

So this leads me to believe that the reference image is not accurate even though 10yard's version is spot on to the example I provided.  I think zeorangr's is also a little off upon closer inspection because the "J" in "Jack" is much closer to the top of the marquee based on the real world image. This is minor stuff.

10yard and zeorangr - can't thank you guys enough for the images.  I have been playing this game for 10+ years and now having accurate artworks makes it that much more enjoyable for me.  Also, after talking to BowloRamaGuy, I looked up his WR run and there are so many ways to score points and earn free guys that I had no idea about.  This game is seriously fun and more than it initially seems - give it a shot and see if you can top my 51,925 high score!

:cheers:

EDIT: 57,565!!

EDIT2: 68,990 Let's gooooo!!!!!

EDIT3: 82,865!  I think I've figured out how to score but I'm not great at actually doing it haha...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:32:13 pm by javeryh »

wemr97dl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 11:18:55 pm
  • KEEP GOING!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 12:36:48 am »
I've been building 9x16 views with working controls on the MAMEWorld  forum all posted under MAME Artwork X: Other Artwork Projects

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=artwork2

Got into making some of the Universal Cabinets and got to Jumping Jack, so I tried my hand the Marquee.
I started with 10Yard's  File(saved a lot of work)and the pic posted of the original, Put the picture over 10Yards squared it up and tried to match the original.
but it's here if you want it.