Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME setup for Dummies?  (Read 3506 times)

Siris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 09:13:08 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
GroovyMAME setup for Dummies?
« on: March 26, 2023, 05:20:26 pm »
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if there is a step by step guide on how to get GroovyMAME up and running?
I have been trying and failing for some time now following a video on youtube but it is old and reading the comments on it Calamity himself says that some of the steps in it are wrong.
I successfully get the CRT Emudriver installed but I am unsure of the steps to follow in Vmmaker.
The resolution on the CRT is always like 336x272 and GroovyMAME always crashes when trying to start a game.

I am using Win. 8.1, the video card is an AMD Radeon R7 350X, I'm using Emudriver & Tools 2.0 beta 15_18.5.1_W.7-64.
I have a Monitor connected to the HDMI output as well as the CRT connected to the DVI output.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: GroovyMAME setup for Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 06:16:54 pm »
Have you tried this guide to VMM - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46

After that, there's a guide to setting up GroovyMAME on that same site - it's linked a post or three below this one - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,167545.0.html

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 06:30:12 pm »
Hey, I seriously appreciate the reply but that is 9 years old using a version of VMM that doesn't even resemble the version I have. :(
Again it appreciate it but trying to follow that will just make things even more confusing for me I think.

Maybe it will be better if I write up a guide of what I am doing and then maybe that way someone can see and let me know where I am going wrong?
I will try that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 06:52:59 pm by Siris »

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 07:48:35 pm »
First thing I do is run the Setup in the CRT Emudriver & Tools folder and choose uninstall driver. I'm assuming this will clean up any mistakes I've made previously.
Next I delete and then re-extract both the GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver & Tools folders.

I am assuming after that I am working with a clean slate?

Next I reinstall the CRT Emudriver and then proceed to open VMM.
This is where I am not sure about what I am supposed to do.
From the youtube video it says I should open VMM and do the following:
1. Go to Edit settings and then to the Video card tab and then just close out of VMM then Restart the computer.
2. Once it's restarted open VMM again Go to Edit settings and then the Video card tab and check the Add modes from modes list check box.
3. Go to the User modes tab and make sure the Get video modes from user list box is checked then hit browse and select the user_modes-super in the crtemudriver & tool folder and click open and then ok.
4. Next go to the MAME tab and browse for the mame.exe file in the GroovyMAME folder select it and click open. Then check the Export monitor settings to GroovyMAME box and Get video modes from MAME XML box. Then check the Generate XML from MAME executable box and hit OK.
5. Click on Generate modes once it finishes hit Install modes then ok.
6. Go to Edit settings and then the Video card tab and uncheck Extend desktop automatically on device restart. Then in the Output box select the Analog_VGA option and the click the Enable EDID emulation button.

Ok now like I said Calamity commented on that video saying "if you're going to use super resolutions, then why listing modes from xml? The whole point of super resolutions is to avoid using long mode lists." but it seemed to work for the guy making the video.

So someone, Please tell me what am I doing wrong???

Thanks Again!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 11:42:07 pm »
ok, you said you had the driver running, and i hadn't realised how old the VMM guide was.

Scanning the 5450 (or newer) setup guide Calamity wrote, it still looks pretty good - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1054#p1054

That guide goes through crt_emudriver setup, then enabling EDID emulation (not in your list, but you need this) and then VMM setup and selecting the right monitor range and selecting the modelist file. Then running MAME. The order might matter.

I would not generate modes from the MAME xml just now. It makes things easier, and as calamity noted, probably isn't needed. If it all goes ok, VMM should tell you how many modes it just installed, and you should be able to see those modes listed in ArcadeOSD.

If you have trouble, please note exactly where in that guide you were up to, and exactly what has gone wrong, then post up that information. If everything looks fine, but nothing works when you try MAME, please just post that :)

(Note that enabling EDID emulation on 300-series cards is not always straightforward. The ports aren't always named right. Do the best you can, but [/i]write down which port you select before enabling it. If things go wrong, and you cannot get a display from any port, try booting in safe mode, and uninstalling crt_emudriver. You may need to install windows again in the worst case. Then try enabling EDID emulation again with the next most likely-looking port)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 11:50:19 pm by buttersoft »

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 11:36:47 am »
First of all, start fresh, new windows 7 or 10, in your case i think 10 would be best, get reed of that windows 8 crap.
Fresh install, new drivers, and then afetr installing amd drivers for your card, then install emudrivers, and reboot.
once you install amudrivers, follow the old instructions, they have not been update it, as they still work just fine, so basacaly is:
Open VMMaker select you settings,

i most times leave them as they are and only select the type of monitor a 15khz generic, then on the other tab i select my video card, my output, enable eddid, and i lost image, at tis point i connect my crt monitor, and proceed with the rest. Just follow the guide, but you really really need to start fresh.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 10:10:32 pm »
Thank you guys!

After following Calamity's 5450 guide I am getting a lot closer. I can get to CRT in 640x480 now so that is a HUGE step in the right direction.
Everything seemed to go just as it was supposed to but I did get a switch res error at one point I'm not sure where as I was doing it in a hurry since I only have an hour or so to mess with it after work.
Anyway All seems great right up until I try to launch a game in GroovyMAME and then it crashes.
I will mess with it some more tomorrow night but I'm fairly certain that success is on the Horizon.
Thanks again guys, I will update tomorrow if you have any insight what causes the switch res error that would be welcome info.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 09:34:05 pm »
Ok, Tonight's update.

I went through and did everything again, ran the CRT Emudriver setup to uninstall the driver, deleted the CRT Emudriver and GroovyMAME folders.
Then extracted the folders again, ran the CRT Emudriver setup and followed Calamity's 5450 guide.
Everything goes as it should then this is where the issue happens.
If I try to launch GroovyMAME in Windows I get a Switchres error about filling the screen for a second then after a few more seconds the MAME menu does appear but if I try to launch a game it crashes.
Then after looking at the guide I figured I would follow it exactly so I opened a command prompt and tried launching a game that way and BOOM It's freaking working!!!!!
So what is the issue trying to run it in windows????
The youtube link I was going off of seems to be able to do it from Windows.
Again thanks so much and if anyone has any thought about the launching from windows that would complete my Quest.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 12:15:29 am »
BTW, just a little more info about what's going on.
I've had this Area 51 Site 4 cab for years now I bought it from a Laundramat owner after seeing it sitting in the back of the place for over six months.
I went to ask about it when I first saw it but he refused to sell it, like 6 months later in the middle of December when it had been sitting out in the weather and now covered in snow I went back and told him I'll get you $100 take it or leave it!
I went back with a buddy and took it about an hour later.
I got the game back up and running but the cab is obviously waterlogged and beyond help.
Although I got the game up and running the picture was far from good so I messed with the monitor. (HUGE mistake)
I later realized that the main issue with the picture was corrosion built up in the signal connector to the monitor, once disconnected and reconnected the picture improved 100% but by that time I F'd with so much on the monitor the picture was not like I should be! :(
Anyway, I believe I am correct that it is a Wells Gardner K7400 original to the dedicated cab.
And as I said I have been messing with this for some time but never really got anywhere so just forgot about it for years at a time!
Then recently I got an email from ebay telling me that there was a USB2GUN JAMMA board on auction, I bought it for $160 because why not it's only the second time I have ever seen one on ebay, I bought the first NON-JAMMA one too! (Don't hate me!) :(

I also own a Sharpshooter cab it's actually a Dynamo cab that is in great shape but has an older monitor, still a great looking (probably looks better than this one) but the plan is to use the WG K4700 after a cap kit and a bit of love. The Sharpshooter cab has some weird guns that I never heard of but I only paid $300 for it so whatever.
I have 4 Happ guns two on the Area51 and two I bought for parts.

So obviously this is about making a MAME cab that uses real Arcade guns.
I kept putting it on pause because I could never get to this point, but now I am here!

Currently, I am running a Lenovo M83 Tower maxed out the only thing was they supposedly had a white list for video cards so I wasn't sure if the one I got (AMD Radeon R7 350X) would even work but it did with no problem so I'm not sure if the whole Lenovo white list video card thing is BS or if I just got lucky? After that I have my VGA connected to the USB2GUN and then to an Ultimarc Video amplifier and up until tonight I wasn't sure if I was just chasing a dream but when I launched the game from command prompt the picture came up and it's only a few tweaks from PERFECT!!!! Like OMG!
It honestly looks better than if I disconnect it from the PC and put it back on the Area 51 board!!!

Anyway, I apologize for going on and on.
I'm on a Euphoric and a tad bit drunk HIGH, I have been wanting to get this far for literally years!
Now I honestly feel like I can actually take the next step to connect the guns to the USB2GUN board and give them a go.
BTW, Both USB2GUN board work fine they are recognized by windows and show up as a game controllers.
I have never played with them other than now also having them as a VGA pass through, I am surprised that the USB2GUN doesn't do the video amp Like The Ultimarc amp does but obviously it doesn't because I measured it before doing the required mod to the Ultimarc.
I actually have some test programs that were used for the Optigun so those should work since it's the same beast!
Anyway enough from me for tonight, if anyone knows what is causing the switchres issue in windows let me know!!!
Also, I am NOT Hoarding USB2GUN boards, I figured buy another since you don't know if the one you have works, I will NOT buy another and I may just sell one for around the same price I bought it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 12:22:51 am by Siris »

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 10:16:35 pm »
OK, I'm pretty sure I know why I'm having the switchres issue but I still don't know how to fix it.
I believe it is being caused because for some reason even though I did everything like in Calamity's 5450 guide when I go to my Display->Resolution it is showing two monitors instead of only one like in his pic.
I even tried redoing everything just like the guide, only having one monitor connected to the DVI connector through the whole process swapping to the CRT mid way.
So I believe since there are 2 monitors showing in Display->Resolution that is causing switchres to have the error.
I believe that's why the game actually launches in command prompt but crashes in windows.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain this is the issue.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 11:31:12 pm »
What graphics card are you using? What outputs does it have? What did the setup process look like - as in, what monitor connected to what port at the start (maybe screenshot your display properties screen and post up). Then what port did you enable EDID-emulation for, and what was the result of the process (screenshot again)?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:33:55 am
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 12:24:10 am »
I was about to say what Butters just said, seems like an EDID issue, but had to reboot computer and it took forever.

I just had a quick look at Calamity's guide, and he mentions there that setting up EDID for the 5450's might be being a bit tricky here.

The EDID emulation frame and its options are enabled and selectable, what means that this feature is supported by my card. I'll go to the Output drop-down menu. Now in order to choose the right option, use this logic:

- If your card has 2 analog outputs, the primary output is Analog_0, and the secondary is Analog_1. This applies to HD 5xxx cards.
  - If your card has 1 analog output, it will always be Analog_0. This applies to HD 6xxx and newer cards.

So, unless you're using a HD 5xxx card like me, always pick Analog_0 here.

Because I'm using a HD 5450, which has 2 analog outputs, I need to work out which option is the correct one. As a rule of thumb, for most cards released in the past few years which have both DVI-I and VGA connectors, the VGA is the secondary port. For this reason, I will pick Analog_1.
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1054#p1054

FWIW, there is no reason for you to stay with Windows 8. Even MS know it is a dud, and AFAIK you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Do a quick online search to find out how.

If problems persist, the HD6450 cards all seem to be super-easy to setup and some are available on ebay etc for under $12.

Check out my completed projects!

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 07:00:27 pm »
Again thank you guys!

I am literally following the steps in the guide one by one and getting the expected results.
I have an AMD Radeon R7 350X that has a Display port output  and a DVI output.
I am doing the whole process using just the DVI output.
Everything seems to go fine even after installing the emudriver and switching to the CRT monitor the display settings only show the one monitor.
When I enable EDID-emulation I am doing it on the only Analog port there is which is the DVI one I am using throughout the whole process.
It isn't until after I install the super resolutions that the second monitor shows in display properties.
I already ordered an ATI Radeon HD 5450 so at this point I am tired of going through the process over and over with the same result so I'll just try with the new card if it works in my system, after that if I still have the same issue I guess I'll try under Win 7.
I don't want to install Win 10, the system is for the cab and nothing else and I know the USB2GUN works with 7 and 8 but not sure about 10.

So I guess I'll update when I get the 5450.
Thanks again!

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 11:50:25 pm »
OK, out of curiosity I checked out Calamity's HD 4350 guide and low and behold, There it is the phantom monitor!!!
I tried getting around it but since my card only has one Analog output I couldn't make it work and my new card will be here in 3 days anyway so I'm not wasting my time.
Just wanted to post that yeah it looks like the issue is my card.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 04:55:05 am »
Yeah - it noticed the similarity with the HD4XXX phantom video head issues - I've been down that hell road before. However, that was meant to have been solved by the EDID emulation for HD5XXX and later cards. Thus why we kept coming back to it :)

Anyway, I think you're doing the right thing by waiting for the newer card.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 04:55:25 pm »
buttersoft,

I sent you a PM.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2023, 10:56:46 pm »
Ok, so I guess it's true that the Lenovo M83 does have a Video card White list in the BIOS.
I bought a ATI Radeon HD 5450 and a ASUS AMD Radeon HD 5450 and neither card is recognized by my system! :(
I don't understand why the AMD Radeon R7 350X works???
Anyway, I did some checking and luckily in the M83 PSREF it shows that the M83 was offered with the following cards:
AMD Radeon HD 8570
AMD Radeon HD 8470
AMD Radeon HD 7450
So I have a Lenovo FRU03T7148 Radeon HD 8570 on the way.
Hopefully I'll have a better update in a few days!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:02:01 pm by Siris »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 01:15:29 am »
Bizarre behaviour with the video card not being recognised.

I avoid any "corporate" PCs, by which I mean Lenovo in particular, but anything designed for corporate rollouts that has any kind of security chips or "white lists".

I just returned from Australia, where one of the things I did was to replace the old Lenovo system (Pentium 2.4Ghz WinXP) I put into a mate's cab about 16-17 years ago. The computer itself was fine, except the CMOS battery had failed, causing the BIOS to reset and engage a security lockout. The computer was essentially useless, I had no choice except to rip the entire thing out of the cab and replace it.

The replacement was just Core2Duo E8600 ~3.0Ghz 4GB RAM built onto an Asrock mainboard (G41-GS, socket LGA775, sturdy and over-engineered for overclockers) with a HD6450 GPU, running Win7x64. Not fancy, but it does the job reliably and most importantly, flexibly, with NO CORPORATE CRAP restrictions/security built in.

Another reason I chose that Asrock board was because it is one of the latest/best designs I could find that still supports an IDE slot, so I can run the original DVD drive from it (the DVD drive is built into/behind the cab's door).

I liked the Asrock mainboards so much I bought three of them, so I can roll out essentially the same system (that I put into my mate's cab) to more of my own cabs (to replace the struggling P4 in my main cab, and one more for another project).

Pic for attention - this is actually the old computer (check out the HDDs, they have now been retired), but same arrangement. PC is built into a drawer, and DVD drive built into the door, thus the need for IDE support. The cab is also pictured in my sig line, 3rd from left (yellow)

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 01:53:40 am »
Ok, this is just crazy and I don't know what the heck to think of it.
I got the new card and in Win. 8.1 exact same behavior, I installed Win. 7 and still got the errors but GMAME didn't crash it worked great besides the flashes with the errors.
 I installed Win. 10 and Everything seemed to work flawlessly until I closed GMAME and then there were the boxes showing the errors!
It's like the errors are getting reported before everything works???
Anyway here are two pics that show what Win. 10 shows after I close GMAME and remember if it wasn't for these being there when I close it I would have never known there was an issue at all!!!!????

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 08:49:42 am »
Try  runing gm with admin rights.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2023, 10:28:22 am »
Attach a logfile - Calamity's sig explains how to do it via command line.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2023, 03:53:28 pm »
ok, further down the rabbit hole.
I tried running as Administrator and no go, Then I did a logfile and immediately saw the problem.
My new card isn't being recognized.

After I saw that I went back to see where in the setup process it's failing.
Starting fresh again emudriver installs correctly and in device manager the only thing listed under Display adapters is AMD Radeon HD 8570 Graphics (CRT Emudriver).
But upon launching Vmmaker it does not find my card and instead it's listing it as an AMD Radeon R7 200 Series.

I saw in another thread where a guy had a similar issue and Calamity asked what the Device Id was to make sure it was supported, so I'm thinking possibly since this is a rarer Lenovo branded card this is possibly the issue?

Here is what is listed under Hardware Ids in Device Manager for the card.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6611&SUBSYS_3C791642&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6611&SUBSYS_3C791642
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6611&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6611&CC_0300

Hopefully Calamity can chime in and either confirm or deny if this is the issue. :(

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 02:54:38 pm »
ok, further down the rabbit hole.
I tried running as Administrator and no go, Then I did a logfile and immediately saw the problem.
My new card isn't being recognized.

After I saw that I went back to see where in the setup process it's failing.
Starting fresh again emudriver installs correctly and in device manager the only thing listed under Display adapters is AMD Radeon HD 8570 Graphics (CRT Emudriver).
But upon launching Vmmaker it does not find my card and instead it's listing it as an AMD Radeon R7 200 Series.

I saw in another thread where a guy had a similar issue and Calamity asked what the Device Id was to make sure it was supported, so I'm thinking possibly since this is a rarer Lenovo branded card this is possibly the issue?

Here is what is listed under Hardware Ids in Device Manager for the card.

Hopefully, Calamity can chime in and either confirm or deny if this is the issue. :(

Thats not a normal behavior, something tells me that you are missing a step probably?
Heres how i do it every time.
Install windows, either 7 or 10, fully clean, what does fully clean menas? you format your hard drive from the usb/cd whatever you using, and start fresh.
Install windows
Install video card driver, from the amd website. Based on the model of my card.
Install rest of the drivers via, iobit driver installer.
reboot
install directX from microsoft installer
reboot

Download emudrivers and latest groovymame
for your card ill download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dwjXRFdySz4moxGTGcVWLdQDG-zw5-cJ/view
unpack emudrivers and run the setup installer, that asks you to reboot, then you need to run it againg.
set up the settings as the guide tells you to do so.
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052

Unless you have an r7 video card ebbeded in your system , you shouldnt had any problems after following this.
Remember that when setting up video mode maker, use the option to exports settings to groovy mame.
after finishing generating the video modes, you should be just fine.

I have done this many times and the only card i had problems with was the firepro card, all others have worked just fine.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 02:58:35 pm by abispac »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2023, 10:32:26 pm »
I hope Calamity can add something to make sense of the issue.

I still have a niggling suspicion it is something to do with the Lenovo hardware. They are known for built-in security and certain limitations, including compatible GPUs.

Your video card might be perfectly acceptable with normal drivers, but not with CRT_emulator. With respect to Calamity, the drivers are unsigned and Lenovo firmware etc. may be flagging this as an issue.

I have also heard of the Lenovo BIOS & standard PSU imposing a limitation on how much power a card in a PCI-e slot can draw. So maybe it is worth updating the BIOS, maybe later revisions handle the issues better. Maybe a new PSU would help, but of course they are custom/proprietary and a standard ATX PSU (if you can use/adapt it) won't fit inside the case anyway.

So, maybe it is worth considering a different PC altogether.

As noted above, I just finished pulling out and replacing a 20 year old Lenovo ex-desktop SFF from a mate's cab (I built it about 16 years ago). The computer was technically still fine, I think, but the motherboard bricked itself after the CMOS battery failed. There was nothing I could do. With all of these known issues, I would never again buy a Lenovo ex-desktop/corporate PC again, at least not for MAME.

On the other hand, I've found the second-hand HP SFF desktops to be quite flexible and useful. I like the small but sturdy design, can easily carry it under one arm, with easy-to-lift lid and green-tabbed slip-in-out removable components. I use several in cabs etc with XP, Win7 installs all happy. I even updated one to Win10 (HDD died, so replaced with SDD and fresh install of win10) so my mum and bro-in-law can watch Youtube etc.

BTW, it is possible to run full-sized cards in SFF form-factor PCs, but you would need to accommodate the extra height (and length?) of the card, and power requirements. With the Lenovo I used previously, I de-cased the PC completely (into a drawer) and used an external ATX PSU. The video card was a full-sized ArcadeVGA, I just needed to make a custom bracket to secure it at the top (where it screws in).

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2023, 12:02:01 am »
Thanks again guys,

abispac, That is basically exactly what I did when I did the Win. 7 install on a formatted HD.
BTW, Out of curiosity I tried the version of CRT emudriver that you suggested and it doesn't even recognize my card as a compatible card!

Zebidee, Yeah it is a Lenovo issue because it will only let me use a Lenovo card!
Like I said I can get CRT emudriver to install fine and recognize the card correctly as AMD Radeon HD 8570 Graphics (CRT Emudriver), It is even shown as such in Device Manager.
I can get that far with both CRT emudriver 16.2.1 and 18.5.1 both the GCN versions.
It isn't until I open VMM that it doesn't recognize the card and instead reports it as an AMD Radeon R7 200 Series but it also says Device Key not found defaulting to and it picks the first display.

This is the reason I am thinking that the problem is that this cards Hardware ID isn't in the CRT emudriver causing VMM to not recognize it.
I too hope Calamity can add something but If I really need to I will be forced to build a new system! :(

Again, Here is what is listed under Hardware Ids in Device Manager for the card.

Also here is what is listed in GPU-Z for the card with the Win. driver and with both versions of CRT emudriver.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 12:57:34 am by Siris »

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2023, 02:08:16 pm »
I apologize, i thought you were using the 5450 card. So maybe you right, that card you using isn't compatible, lets's hope calamity hopes in and confirms.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2023, 02:34:40 pm »
I see that is says "Digital Signature: Beta" for both CRTEMU driver installs. Maybe every PC says that, but you know, Lenovo.

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2023, 12:20:27 am »
As I mentioned earlier besides the 8570 my system was also sold with both an AMD Radeon HD 8470 and AMD Radeon HD 7450, both these cards are cheap enough that I've decided to get one of each. Since like the 8570 these will be Lenovo cards I have little hope but it's still worth a try.

I'm still hoping Calamity will give his thoughts! :/

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2023, 12:47:53 am »
Also, I'm fairly certain that Calamity probably hasn't even noticed this Thread so once I get the other two cards if none of them work I will post a new topic on just Lenovo AMD Radeon cards.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2023, 07:36:30 pm »
Also, I'm fairly certain that Calamity probably hasn't even noticed this Thread so once I get the other two cards if none of them work I will post a new topic on just Lenovo AMD Radeon cards.

Worth posting, i agree, but there may not be an easy fix, of course. I've had issues with Dell GPU's not being seen by crt_emudriver, probably to do with Dell's proprietary BIOS.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2023, 01:22:37 pm »
Hi guys,

Sorry I have no time for the forum.

Could you describe briefly (3 lines max) the point you're currently stuck in? And post a log launching GM from command line please.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2023, 09:42:01 pm »
Hello Calamity, thanks for the response!

Like I said I can get CRT emudriver to install fine and recognize the card correctly as AMD Radeon HD 8570 Graphics (CRT Emudriver), It is even shown as such in Device Manager.
I can get that far with both CRT emudriver 16.2.1 and 18.5.1 both the GCN versions.
It isn't until I open VMM that it doesn't recognize the card and instead reports it as an AMD Radeon R7 200 Series but it also says Device Key not found defaulting to and it picks a Display.

I never posted a Log since I figured the problem was VMM not recognizing the card correctly but here is one I did.

Thanks again!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2023, 12:13:16 pm »
It looks like the driver isn't installed properly. Can you check if test mode is enabled (the driver installer does that).
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2023, 07:58:57 pm »
Thanks again for the reply,

Yes after running setup the first time it reboots the system and then I get the Test Mode message on the desktop. After running setup again I get the CRT Emudriver pop up window that says Driver package installed succesfully.
It also shows as  AMD Radeon HD 8570 Graphics (CRT Emudriver) in both Device Manager and in GPU-Z.

Can you please confirm that the Hardware Id it shows is a supported card?

Thanks again!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 12:36:52 pm »
Yes, your hw id is supported by both 16.2.1 and 18.5.1, that's why it installs fine.

Your log shows GM is using display #17, which is a strange, and it shows MS basic driver (like if it wasn't a valid device).

Code: [Select]
Switchres: \\.\DISPLAY17: Microsoft Basic Display Driver (ROOT\BasicDisplay)
Switchres: Device key: SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BasicDisplay

In VMMaker, look into Settings->Video card->Device drop-down menu, and check what's in there. You have to select the correct device in there.
Steps to create a log:

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2023, 09:31:02 pm »
Ok, my AMD Radeon HD 8470 Graphics card showed up and again everything seems fine but still getting the switch res error.
I've attached the new log file, I noticed this.
Direct3D: Unable to find D3DXCreateEffectFromFileW
Is this what is causing the switch res error?

Thanks again

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2023, 03:24:09 am »
All looks fine now.

What switchres error do you mean?
Steps to create a log:

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2023, 07:45:10 pm »
I've attached two pics of the switchres error one from command prompt and one in Windows.
I've also attached the log file from the command prompt pic showing the error.

BTW, You will notice this log file is using the 8570 card, when I did the install with the 8470 card VMM saw it as a Radeon 7000 series which I thought was curious so I decided to try the 8570 again and again VMM saw it as a Radeon R7 200 Series, but as you can see it is in fact working properly.
It turns out the reason it was being displayed as Display #17 and MS basic driver was I needed to do a restart after installing the driver and before running VMM!

Thanks again for any input!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 07:50:34 pm by Siris »

Siris

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2023, 05:33:44 pm »
Thank You everyone especially Calamity.
My issues are all now resolved with his latest switchres fix.