Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT/LCD size and orientation questions  (Read 910 times)

heyyouguys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 03:00:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT/LCD size and orientation questions
« on: March 21, 2023, 11:15:34 pm »
Changing my plans from bartop to upright. Debating on CRT or LCD. So of course a few questions. Mainly 50-50 on vertical and horizontal games. Games are mainly 80s to early 90s.

What size is the average or best-ish size for CRT? I seem to be able to find 14 to 20-27" CRT tvs on craigslist.

What size LCD works best? And vertical or horizontal installation?

I have other questions but figured this and then CP layout before cabinet size and style.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: CRT/LCD size and orientation questions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 04:37:12 am »
If you can make an excuse for two then build one vertical and one horizontal!
I'm making a horizontal mini for a friend and it takes up very little space and still fits a 19" CRT.

I can only recommend a CRT personally.

Pick your favorite 20 games and start thinking about monitor orienation and controls before you do anything else.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 06:22:24 am »

Pick your favorite 20 games and start thinking about monitor orienation and controls before you do anything else.

You complete me.

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 01:17:28 pm »
I'm making a horizontal mini for a friend and it takes up very little space and still fits a 19" CRT.

Currently, cannot build two. Just room for the one. But I do understand that route.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 03:53:10 pm »
 :lol

You complete me.

If you only have space or $ for one cabinet then make it a horizontal upright with a CRT that is between 24-27"
With pretty much any 10-year-old or younger PC, the right GPU, CRT Emudriver and groovymame you can have a machine that will play nearly anything really well with a nice faithful image and timing.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 01:39:46 pm »

If you only have space or $ for one cabinet then make it a horizontal upright with a CRT that is between 24-27"
With pretty much any 10-year-old or younger PC, the right GPU, CRT Emudriver and groovymame you can have a machine that will play nearly anything really well with a nice faithful image and timing.

Thank you for the advice. Over the last few years, I had designed and mocked up a bartop and control panel using Mala as FE, but just recently decided to go with upright. This is why the monitor questions.

Are there any LCD size options that really work well with horizontal and vertical?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 06:28:54 pm »
Wish that I had some wisdom to offer on LCD usage.
 I would say best bet is spend some time reading through the Hall of Fame threads and see what looks right to you.
There are a number of people on this forum with some serious skill who have built some cool machines that I bet you'd be interested in trying to replicate some portion of.