Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: need some suggestions on leds and controller  (Read 671 times)

Edgecrusher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • This is the way
need some suggestions on leds and controller
« on: March 20, 2023, 03:07:27 pm »
So I have a 4 player I'm wrapping up. I have the joys and player buttons cut out. All I'm missing is the Player start buttons 1-4 and navigation buttons. I have already purchased opaque buttons for the player buttons (6/player) and they obviously don't light up. I had purchased some slightly smaller silvery black chrome buttons I intended to use for the frontend navigation buttons. I did not get anything for the player start buttons.

This is a big cabinet and I feel like using some RGB buttons for these and having some lighting animation going on but I'm not familiar with what buttons are best for this and the controllers and software for doing this. I'm only going to have 4 buttons to control so I don't want some huge control board with more outs than necessary and pay for a bunch of features I'll never use.

I don't know if I can possibly control the lights to do different things depending on what's going on with the game or the front end or if I just have to have them on some continuous loop. It'd be fun to at least make them flash when they need to be pushed and stay solid during game play or maybe do some cycle between levels of game play. I just don't know what's possible.

I'll be running BigBox with GrooveyMame playing games like Simpsons, TMNT, and Xmen. Maybe some dual joystick games if I can figure that out.

Any suggestions for the scale I'm looking for would be very helpfull. Especially controller boards that will work with my setup. In the meantime I'll keep researching and feeling overwhelmed! lol

thanks

Is there

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
Re: need some suggestions on leds and controller
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 05:25:21 pm »
Everything I see keeps pointing back to led blinky. not sure about control board yet.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:51:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 05:36:33 pm »
I'm a big fan of Ultimarc products.    I use the Ultimate IPac board in my cabs now, that have encoders and LED controllers built intoa  single board. 

In previous builds, I've used the PACLed64 boards with great success.  https://www.ultimarc.com/output/led-and-output-controllers/pacled64/

If you're doing RGB - just remember each button is 3 LEDs, so it takes 3 outputs.   

I use these LED's for each button:   https://paradisearcadeshop.com/products/il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 08:50:44 pm »
That's a great plan. I think I'll do that with my next. Plan on it from the start next time.