Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells Gardner K257193 Wavy Ripples  (Read 854 times)

fsmith2003

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2023, 12:01:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wells Gardner K257193 Wavy Ripples
« on: March 15, 2023, 09:13:11 pm »
I have a 25" WG K257193 that looks very good color and brightness wise. However, I have what I can only describe as horizontal waves moving from bottom to the top of the screen that don't seem to stop regardless of how long the monitor has been powered up. Its the same sort of a wavy pattern water would make to try and describe it a bit more. It doesn't impede game play in any way and when there is a bunch of motion on the screen it is barley noticeable. It is when you are looking at a still screen, such as the street fighter character select screen, that you can REALLY notice it. Either way, I do plan on doing a recap and replacing the filter cap as well. Beside doing that though I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I should be checking in the meantime that may be causing this effect?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Wells Gardner K257193 Wavy Ripples
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 01:54:50 am »
Hmmm, a vid of the issue might be a help. There's not another monitor/CRT on right nearby causing the interference? Or another source of electronic interference?

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 03:03:48 am »
it could also be an earth issue or a problem with the power supply
you could disconnect the rgb and turn up brightness or screen volts on flyback to achieve a raster, if you still have the wave then likely issue is related to caps
if it were an issue with mains filter cap or degauss circuit then it would be more of a wobble than a wave

fsmith2003

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2023, 12:01:26 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 04:42:26 pm »
Hmmm, a vid of the issue might be a help. There's not another monitor/CRT on right nearby causing the interference? Or another source of electronic interference?

Here is a video of the issue.  Kind of difficult to see but if you watch closely you can see the flags, the letters, and Ryus head wave back and forth as the wave flows through the screen.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Aj6cz7yakp8?feature=share

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 08:59:15 pm »
ok, so give the above suggestions a think first. Also, maybe see if the set has a horizontal hold adjustment. Does changing that affect things at all?

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 02:48:28 pm »
I could not see the lines you describe on the video, but try unplugging the degaus coil and see if it goes away. Had a few horizontal lines BITD that came back to the degaus circuit.