Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY Pedals - Wiring / Interface Question?  (Read 1151 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:09:26 pm
DIY Pedals - Wiring / Interface Question?
« on: April 03, 2023, 05:04:43 pm »
I've got a pair of Sinden lights on my cabinet, and I've got them working with RetroArch and MAME.   I picked up a pair of industrial foot pedals I'd like to get working for games like Time Crisis. 

I'm not sure how to go about wiring them up and interfacing them?   I've got an extra IPAC-2 USB controller that I can use  (seems like a waste for just two buttons, but I've already got it so whatever).   

Is there any particular keyboard keys I should map them too?  Or just anything, and then just map them in game to "pedal" ?

Feels too simple...

thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:29:59 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: DIY Pedals - Wiring / Interface Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 06:54:17 pm »
I picked up a pair of industrial foot pedals I'd like to get working for games like Time Crisis. 
To be clear, what electronic components do they use -- microswitches, potentiometers, or optos?

I'm not sure how to go about wiring them up and interfacing them?   I've got an extra IPAC-2 USB controller that I can use  (seems like a waste for just two buttons, but I've already got it so whatever).   
Wiring is easy.
- Wire pedal microswitches the same way as microswitch arcade buttons.
- Wire potentiometers as described here in the wiki.  (You can't do this with an IPac.)
- Wire optos with 5v, ground, Data A, and Data B.  (You can do this with a 2015 or newer IPac.)

Do you have an Arduino like a Pro Micro lying around?
- With the right choice of firmware, it will work with any of the 3 types of pedal components mentioned above.

Is there any particular keyboard keys I should map them too?  Or just anything, and then just map them in game to "pedal" ?
Assuming that you have microswitch pedals, use keyboard keys that aren't used as MAME defaults. (B, E, H, M, N, etc.)

Feels too simple...
It's not rocket surgery.   ;)   :lol

Scott

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 07:17:54 pm »
Sorry, they are microswitch based.   Have both NC and NO wiring options.  (NO is what I'll be using)

Thanks for the info (and the unused MAME key list).  Very helpful!

Now I just need a small project box.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:29:59 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 11:34:58 pm »
they are microswitch based.   Have both NC and NO wiring options.  (NO is what I'll be using)
You've got it.   ;D

One other possibility to consider:  Is there already an encoder in your setup for joysticks/buttons/admin buttons or are the only controls the two guns?
- If you already have an encoder in your setup, you can either connect the pedals to unused inputs or piggyback the pedals on rarely-used inputs like P1B6 and P2B6.

Thanks for the info (and the unused MAME key list).  Very helpful!
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

Scott

bandicoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 05:42:32 am
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 11:26:18 am »
I use this code
https://github.com/crankyoldgit/mame-ipac-emulator
with a pro micro  and edit it to have "B" and "N" key that not interfer emulator
i 've 3d print this
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5022017

and buy two pedals from alixpress from here
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001399341850.html

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 11:33:55 am »
That 3d printed base is pretty cool.  thanks for the link!

I bought these :  https://www.amazon.com/Switch-250VAC-Nonslip-Momentary-Pedal/dp/B09B3KZ11J?pd_rd_w=BZ2lR&content-id=amzn1.sym.deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_p=deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_r=P7GP9VN73SZHM5S014FJ&pd_rd_wg=FT1dm&pd_rd_r=133decdc-5c7c-4563-9394-3b8dbe4ea91a&pd_rd_i=B09B3KZ11J&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_t

They were $10 when I bought them.  But basically the same thing as the Aliexpress ones in function.   

Is Time Crisis 5 still locked behind the Teknoparrot patreon only track?