Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New to GroovyMAME : 640x288 ?  (Read 1153 times)

Pixeljunkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2023, 03:38:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New to GroovyMAME : 640x288 ?
« on: March 13, 2023, 01:07:04 pm »
Hi everybody :)

I have always used an ArcadeVGA5000 in combination with Windows 7 for my cab.
Just recently I acquired a brand new, faster pc that doesn’t play well with the card. Using my ArcadeVGA in the new pc with Windows 10, the card won’t output 15Khz during BIOS screen & boot, whereas it does perfectly in my old pc. It does output 15Khz in Windows though. Changing to Windows 7 doesn’t help, looks like the BIOS of the new pc doesn’t like the card.

On my CRT scart TV, with the old pc, I always used a fixed resolution of 640x288 for both the desktop, frontend and games running in MAME. Worked like a charm. When I try to use that resolution in Windows 10 on the new pc, all games look super skinny, please check attached image. No amount of adjusting helps, width size is already maxed out.

Out of frustration and despair, and after finding out about groovyMAME, I bought a card from arcade express that has already been patched with the Atom BIOS and i’m going to install it this evening using some of the tutorials. But I can’t seem to find how to run my desktop & all games in groovyMAME in the fixed resolution of 640x288. I have read so many posts but I really can’t find it.

Can someone please help me ? Would be very much appreciated :)

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: New to GroovyMAME : 640x288 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 01:55:20 pm »
Azerty keyboard   :cheers:
But I'm of no other help excect suggesting "oh give up windows, and join the dark side of the force on GroovyArcade" :D

Pixeljunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 08:53:47 pm »
But I'm of no other help excect suggesting "oh give up windows, and join the dark side of the force on GroovyArcade" :D

I don’t have a clue on how to get my ipac & general hardware drivers working under linux  ;D

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 06:03:29 am »
Pixeljunkie,

If you set your desktop at 640x288, MAME will wrongly assume your monitor's aspect ratio is 2.22, that's the reason for the incorrect stretching. In order to fix this, edit mame.ini and set aspect 4:3 (it's "auto" by default).

With regards to running everything at 640x288 well... please don't do that, you deserve better. Follow GM/CRT Emudriver tutorials. Or simply burn GA in a pendrive and try.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Pixeljunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 08:31:36 am »
Pixeljunkie,

If you set your desktop at 640x288, MAME will wrongly assume your monitor's aspect ratio is 2.22, that's the reason for the incorrect stretching. In order to fix this, edit mame.ini and set aspect 4:3 (it's "auto" by default).

With regards to running everything at 640x288 well... please don't do that, you deserve better. Follow GM/CRT Emudriver tutorials. Or simply burn GA in a pendrive and try.

Thank you for the help  :)
I will try my best following the tutorials. The reason for running my desktop in 640x288 is because 640x480 interlaced looks terrible on my crt
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:35:31 am by Pixeljunkie »

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:27:24 am
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 02:18:54 pm »
I recommend you GroovyArcade, i'm pretty sure that works on your hardware.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 04:53:10 pm »

Hoefully there is a merry discord community that is pretty eager to help any lost sheep  ;)

Pixeljunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 03:36:49 pm »

Hoefully there is a merry discord community that is pretty eager to help any lost sheep  ;)

I’ve looked at some YouTube videos & it looks great, I have to admit..
But one of the reasons I want to use a fixed resolution, is that I don’t want to adjust the monitor for every game that has a different screen size. From what i’ve seen, you end up having black borders  :-\

That’s the main reason why I always stayed away from GroovyMAME to be honest.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:26:13 am
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:53 am »
runing games at 640x288 aint that bad, games look ok and as long as you have fun , thats wha it really should mater. Back in the days when we had dos, im dont really recall if games were running in theyr natural resolution or a certain fixed resolution, all we cared was, the game was running on a crt screen. Now, having groovymame and emudrivers is a blessing as most games can run at theyr natural resolution with no problem. If a certain game runs and gets black bars or starts scroling, i just create a ini file for that particular game to run at 640x480, witch makes the game stable. Now un multigames, since verticl games i run with a bezel to fill out the whole screen, i just create a fixed ini for vertival games and they all run good. I still get some games that give some hiccups li mr do, but i get working just fine with a mrdo ini. So in that way , most games run in thery natural resolution and some not but they all look great to me, im not a purist. 

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:40:11 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:23 am »
Well, just my opinion but having occasional small black borders is way more preferable than being off frequency-wise (@288p you must be stuck @50Hz) and resolution-wise 99.9% of the time.