Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Issues with JVL Retro Machines  (Read 13794 times)

RockyOBX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2021, 05:46:11 pm
  • Pinball Repair Enthusiast
Issues with JVL Retro Machines
« on: June 25, 2021, 12:05:27 pm »
This is my first post here, as I was referred to AracadeControls.com from a KLOV member, where I've also posted my issues so far.  So, hello everyone!

Anyways, I have 4 JVL Retros that are all experiencing some sort of issue.  Two of them quickly stop upon boot-up at the error, "can't load sound driver snd-intel18x0."  One loads about 1/5th through the JVL loading screen and then crashes on the error, "I/O board is NOT found!" and 1 makes it to a low battery error, followed by a machines locked error.  I have swapped boards around in all of them trying to troubleshoot things, but am always left with the same error based on the specific motherboard that I'm using.  I figured I may have the best luck with the "Machine Locked" JVL so picked up a itouch10 cd for a factory reset (all 4 JVLs are using an itouch10 button).  I tried hooking a usb cd-player to this JVL, but I think that cd-rom drive is bad as it sounded like it was just starting and stopping over and over, so then tried to create a bootable USB from windows.  I've tried 3 different usbs and several windows machines and every time I tried to create a bootable thumbdrive from the CD, the program will immediately come up with an error saying the "checking operation failed."  At this point, I have no idea where to go, so any advice would be awesome.

On another note, this whole experience began when I was on a search to replace a bad inverter board on my Megatouch Force made in 2005, so if anyone knows of where I find an affordable one of these, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Rocky

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:06:46 pm
Re: Issues with JVL Retro Machines
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 05:13:22 pm »
Get yourself a CF card reader and use USBIT ( Usb Image Tool) its free. And install this image to your CF card.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/74co43mk0ncksi1/iTouch10_CF_Image.img/file

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »
Get yourself a CF card reader and use USBIT ( Usb Image Tool) its free. And install this image to your CF card.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/74co43mk0ncksi1/iTouch10_CF_Image.img/file

Awesome, downloading now and will update later when I get the CF back in the machine.

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 07:10:11 pm »
mahkeymike is my hero.  :cheers:

Going to do this with my other CFs over the weekend and see if that knocks out any of the other issues I'm experiencing with the other JVLs.

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 03:07:15 pm »
So I re-flashed all my other drives, but unfortunately am met with the same errors, 2 still giving me the sound driver error and 1 giving me an I/O board not found error.  These issues look to be based off each motherboard, as I used the I/O board and the board on the back of the motherboard case from my now-working retro, but am still seeing these same errors.  Are there components I can replace off the motherboards, or do these sound like they're toast?  If they are bad, is it possible to obtain replacement boards?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 07:27:51 pm »
I don't know about the sound driver error, did you try using the working CF card. I seen weird errors when CF cards have bad sectors, but most likely the ioboard is either not plugged in or it went bad. I woyuld rule out everything else before replacing the motherboard as it doesnt seem like its the cause. I would check all the wiring to make sure everything is plugged in.

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 09:58:46 pm »
I've Frankensteined so many parts from these four JVLs plus a few spare Vortex boards, but the errors always remain the same dependent on which motherboard I'm using.  I also tried various CFs, but still no go.  I do have a vortex board that boots right before the JVL loading screen and then crashes to "No Signal" and tries to boot again, so I'm going to look more into this board tomorrow.  I've tried two CFs on it so far and both result in the same crash.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 05:33:29 pm »
Well if your sure its the motherboards, then the IOboard error would have to be something wrong with the onboard usb controller. Either way, you will have to buy a replacement motherboard which looks to be selling for $150+ on ebay. Good luck.

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:58:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 05:59:08 pm »
Have you tried getting into the bios to ensure the onboard audio and USB are enabled?

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 07:38:28 pm »
Reading again over your posts about the I/O error, I decided to use my complete working set of boards on this JVL Retro shell that I've been testing everything on.  Dang I/O error now cropped up with this working set, so I believe the JVL Retro case I'm using has a bad cord with a split that travels between the motherboard to I/O board.  I think the sound errors must load prior to the I/O check, which is why this threw me off with variable errors dependent on motherboard.  Used a different JVL Retro case and everything boots up perfectly, so now this will be my new testing shell.

As for the BIOS, I totally overlooked checking out the settings to make sure everything is enabled properly.  I plan to get back to these on Thursday and will post updates.

Thank you again for everyone's help and input thus far.

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 11:14:30 am »
Does someone have a photo of how the motherboard connections should look on a Retro or Vortex.  I'm wondering if I'm re-wiring things wrong and possibly causing issues.

RockyOBX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 08:20:42 pm »
Here's an update from what was done over the past week.  When I returned home, I took apart one of the working Retro's and took a picture of the ribbon configuration (posted here for others to reference).  Most my "bad" boards had a matching configuration, where I fixed the ones that didn't, but still meet the same errors with those motherboards.  I ended up ordering one of the motherboards off Ebay and it arrived today.  Put one of my CFs in it and the thing booted like a champ, so at this point I want to say that my other motherboards really are just bad.  I still have one Retro shell left that I might still toy around with and try to get working, but at this point, 3 outta 4 works for me.

Thank you all again for your help on this, as if it weren't for the help from members here and on KLOV, I don't think I would have gotten even one of these to work.

Mjesposi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2021, 05:14:21 pm
  • Newer to all of this
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 11:17:47 pm »
Hello. Brand new to this forum and just recently purchased my first JVL retro at an auction. Previously have always bought various mega touches. The auction house said that the machine previously started up to the main menu screen. When I got it home the machine will not load up at all. The lights all power up and then like a minute or so later I get some extremely thin vertical lines of color on the screen in various area.  I get a quick beep and then what sounds like a little modem static and then like a pc restart beep.  Attached a quick pic of the screen and then my description is best I can do for sound at this point.  Have video of it but too large to post.

Trying to figure out where I start to problem solve this and appreciate any and all help!!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 04:50:56 am »
I would start by connecting the monitor to different pc to rule out bad monitor. Could be bad monitor controller, or bad video chipset on motherboard.

Mjesposi

• Offline Offline
  • Newer to all of this
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 09:23:06 am »
Mahkeymike - thank you very much for the quick reply!  Couple quick questions - in checking the video monitor on another PC, is that a matter of un-connecting teh VGA cord from the inside and then connect to an external PC?  If the monitor is working and it ends up being a bad chipset on mother board or bad monitor controller, are those items that can be bought and then replaced or fixed?  Again - really appreciate the help!!!

M

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 12:49:04 pm »
Yeah just connect the VGA cable to another pc and power the machine on. If its the monitor you should see those same lines on the monitor. If not, then you need a new jp30 motherboard that can be found on ebay in the $150 price range last time i checked. As far as the monitor, that might be a bit more harder to find.

Mjesposi

• Offline Offline
  • Newer to all of this
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 03:57:04 pm »
So I started tearing down the machine to see what treats could be in store for me inside.  Attached are picos the motherboard and supply.  Definitely some black "goo? in certain areas of the motherboard and for sure caked onto the fans.  Then on teh power supply, I was not sure if it was supposed to look like that or if that was going out?  Gotta see what I am going to do here and if worth me fixing or try to part out???

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 06:35:28 pm »
good ol' smokers "dust".

essentially paste made of nicotine,tar,dirt.

formula 409 will take care of it.

as for your monitor LCD, best to swap out the panel as it's probably cracked. you might be able to find something that will work. i have a pile of old 15/17/19" lcd computer monitors i keep around for occasions like this. peel the panel out of them and swap them.

johnny16

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2021, 11:00:54 am
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 02:58:32 pm »
Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I just recently picked up a JVL Retro that had Itouch 11 in it and when turned on it be booting and than gave red screen with error. Reading some things in this forum I found a 9 on eBay that says working and so I purchased it and wanted to start there. I received it and installed in my Retro and at boot up you have to factory reset and than it plays fine. Stay on for hours. Shut off and turn on it boots up and wants to factory reset every time. I changed the battery and still doing the same thing. I don’t know what to do for it not to want to be factory reset at boot up every time. Attached is a quick pic of the screen it gives me every time. Any help be very much appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:11:40 pm by johnny16 »

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2024, 07:01:45 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 06:59:04 am »
Looks like the install usb is still in the game.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 01:44:07 pm »
or the setup button is bad. If i remember correctly, the button is push momentary OFF meaning it is always making a connection and when you push it, it breaks the connection. So maybe oxidation got in there and is not making a connection anymore. :dunno

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2023, 03:11:14 pm
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 08:16:16 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if the retros just run the same internal hardware as the vortex?
I'm assuming they run jp30 and the vortex runs the jp20? Not sure which belongs to which, I have some vortexes but there's nothing on the cases that say which one they are.. but I think they're the jp20
I have 2 chassis w screens for retros but they have no mb or ps.. I've got 4 vortexes in various states of disrepair and would like to frankenstein at least one of these retros into a working one.
are the IO boards interchangeable between the two?
sorry for the stupid questions, there ain't a ton of info on these things out there
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:48:37 pm by game_nerd »

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:58:28 am
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2023, 07:44:03 am »
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if the retros just run the same internal hardware as the vortex?
I'm assuming they run jp30 and the vortex runs the jp20? Not sure which belongs to which, I have some vortexes but there's nothing on the cases that say which one they are.. but I think they're the jp20
I have 2 chassis w screens for retros but they have no mb or ps.. I've got 4 vortexes in various states of disrepair and would like to frankenstein at least one of these retros into a working one.
sorry for the stupid questions, there ain't a ton of info on these things out there

Someone check me on this but my experience
- retros only run jp30
- vortex can run jp20 and jp30 but wiring harnesses are different, so you can really only hook up the same board it came with originally
- ioboards are not interchangeable due to wiring

Easiest way to identify jp20 vs jp30 is - if the vortex has the ATX power connector it takes jp30

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2023, 04:07:34 pm »

- retros only run jp30
- vortex can run jp20 and jp30 but wiring harnesses are different, so you can really only hook up the same board it came with originally

Easiest way to identify jp20 vs jp30 is - if the vortex has the ATX power connector it takes jp30

I am not sure about the IOboards. I have a bunch from Vortex and Retro's and they all look the same. But i never paid attention to the connectors so there could be slight differences. I can tell you the metal cage the jp30 fits into is different , meaning you cant use a Retro jp30 metal cage in a Vortex, and a jp30 wont fit in a JP20 metal cage. There was definitely a special metal cage for Vortex jp30.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2023, 06:40:13 pm »

- retros only run jp30

ah I gotcha, I see the difference now. I was looking for some kind of marking but I have one that has an atx connector on it. thank you

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2023, 06:42:28 pm »

- retros only run jp30

I am not sure about the IOboards. I have a bunch from Vortex and Retro's and they all look the same. But i never paid attention to the connectors so there could be slight differences. I can tell you the metal cage the jp30 fits into is different , meaning you cant use a Retro jp30 metal cage in a Vortex, and a jp30 wont fit in a JP20 metal cage. There was definitely a special metal cage for Vortex jp30.

The IO boards do look the same at a glance, I'm gonna get one of these retros cleaned out and try it out with a couple of different IO boards I have. Appreciate the input

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2023, 10:53:09 pm »
Well one of my vortexes had a jp30 in it but what seemed like a dead screen. It got power but said no video.
Took the jp30 out and it looks pristine.. new heat sink, no dust, etc.
Connected it up to one of the retros that had the most parts in it with itouch 10, connected a few wires up and the thing fired right up

It needed a factory reset, so I did that and it works perfectly, touch screen was perfect, but filthy. Didn't even need calibration.

So of course, I have a question. How in the blue hell do you shoe horn the jp 30 info this thing? The 8 pin cable in the bottom right corner that I'm guessing plugs into the mother's not the daughter board all the rest go into .which I'm assuming is for the side led's isn't long enough to reach very far, .
How is this thing supposed to go? I feel stupid because the cable length dictates what side the thing goes in, but it doesn't seem to fit right.

Anyone have any ideas?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2023, 12:25:32 am »
Well one of my vortexes had a jp30 in it

Take a pic of it. Its not a Vortex cage. Nor is it a Retro cage. Might be a good idea to take pics of the wiring harnesses.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:00 am »
will do this evening when I get off work.
It looks identical to the regular L shaped vortex cage, but this one has the atx connector on it and the CF card slot on the backside of the motherboard instead of on the frontside like my other vortexes

edit, after looking at the pics posted above more closely, mine does not resemble the ones in the pics above.. no wonder the damn thing wouldn't fit.
The motherboard is almost exactly the same as the poster above posted with a few small differences it appears, but the cage is the L shaped cage from a vortex.. really odd.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:02:34 am by game_nerd »

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2023, 07:52:42 pm »
ok, so here are some pics.. best I can figure is they stuffed a JP30 into a vortex case.. which is no wonder the damn thing wouldn't fit in the retro no matter how I turned it.
The box pictured above is a square one, this one has the shape of the JP20 vortex cases... there are slight differences between my mobo and the one by the poster above, for example the 8 pin on mine is shielded on his and looks to be turned 90 degrees

There's a few cables I left unplugged, I only did the power 4 pin, the atx, the black 5 pin and the white 3 pin.. there is another 5 pin white cable in the retro but it won't fit into this little mobo chassis, which has a 6 pin adapter. The vortex has that 6 pin cable.

There's also a 8 pin white cable in the bottom right corner of the retro, that I think plugs into the white 8 pin plug on the mobo, in the top right corner of the 2nd picture. I haven't plugged that one in and powered it on though, just in case it is not for that. But I think that is the connector for the joystick and buttons if I'm not mistaken. Which cable controls the LED lights on the sides? Those won't turn on even though they're enabled in the settings. I figure one of the cables must power them, but am not sure which one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:00:09 pm by game_nerd »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 10:50:15 am »
they stuffed a JP30 into a vortex case.

i believe they came with both, as there was a switch from the jp20 board to the jp30 at the time, so depending if it originally from the factory came with a 20 or a 30 (since the wire harnesses are a little different.) will be what board goes with it.

also, the fitment of the computers is always really terrible... it is VERY ill fitting and a real PITA to get in and out. with really short cables being the biggest hangup.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 02:53:34 pm »
If i remember correctly i had tried to put a jp30 in a jp20 case and it did not fit. I believe the case fan was in the wrong position and would not clear something on the jp30 and also i think the vga connector and touchscreen connector were reversed and the cable did not reach. At least thats what i remember. :dunno

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 03:54:31 pm »
yeah it's been a while since i seen it, so i might be remembering wrong... a guy brought a JVL in for us to fix and i was surprised it had a different computer in it than the one i'd always seen in the same ones we had. i just chalked it up to them running out of the older boards and them just switching over to the newer ones to use up the cabinets before the next machine dropped.

It wasn't a big deal at the time, as it was just needing the power supply caps fixed up and the batteries replaced in it.

but it was definitely different.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 04:05:54 pm »
I guess I'm gonna have to try and fabricate something, this vortex motherboard cage ain't fitting in the retro, no way no how.

Do you guys know what cable in the retro controls the side lights? I'm thinking it's the 5 pin white connector that does not fit into the 6 pin on the little daughterboard in this case.
I'm assuming the 8 pin is the one that controls the buttons and control stick on the front.

I guess I can throw it in a working vortex and leave the 6 pin unplugged and see if the lights work. I'll monkey around with it some more tonight when I get off work.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 04:55:30 pm »
What if you drill out the pop rivets holding the audio/usb board and try and insulate it so it doesnt short out on anything? Will it fit then? Can't say i ever tried to mount a jp20 cage in a Retro.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2023, 05:04:08 pm »
i was going to say, the extra IO circuit board is in the wrong spot for a retro, it would normally be mounted in the middle of the case, laying flat.

if i was adamant to put this in there, i would drill out the pop rivets and take that part off, and use some standoffs to mount the board to the front face of the cage. that way it's out of the way and still accessible to plug the stuff back in.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 06:43:45 pm »
i was going to say, the extra IO circuit board is in the wrong spot for a retro, it would normally be mounted in the middle of the case, laying flat.

if i was adamant to put this in there, i would drill out the pop rivets and take that part off, and use some standoffs to mount the board to the front face of the cage. that way it's out of the way and still accessible to plug the stuff back in.

Well it's the only board I have that will work in that retro, so it's going in there one way or another lol
I'm gonna try to figure something out tonight. It will definitely need taken apart. I can do without the coin bucket since it'll be set to free play, so there's some room in there to rearrange things, just the cable length is an issue.

What if you drill out the pop rivets holding the audio/usb board and try and insulate it so it doesnt short out on anything? Will it fit then? Can't say i ever tried to mount a jp20 cage in a Retro.

Yeah I was thinking of taking that little daughter board out completely and just insulating it like you said and just let it hang out in there loose
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:48:20 pm by game_nerd »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 07:05:51 pm »
Worst case senario, you could gut the Retro out completely and convert to megatouch. Its a bit more work, and requires megatouch parts, but if you really like the Retro look its worth the effort and cost. At least it was for me years ago, not sure the availability of megatouch parts now. I assume easier to find then Retro parts like the jp30 cage and jp30 audio/usb board.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 09:21:08 am »
Worst case senario, you could gut the Retro out completely and convert to megatouch. Its a bit more work, and requires megatouch parts, but if you really like the Retro look its worth the effort and cost. At least it was for me years ago, not sure the availability of megatouch parts now. I assume easier to find then Retro parts like the jp30 cage and jp30 audio/usb board.

Hadn't thought of that.. I've got 12 megatouches in various states, so parts are no issue. It's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of it. I like the MT games better than the jvl ones tbh.. I'll give that some thought.