Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Graphics Settings  (Read 542 times)

Tommy714

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2023, 05:17:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Graphics Settings
« on: February 28, 2023, 11:08:07 am »
After much difficulty (mostly self inflicted), I've got the machine functioning.  Now, time for tweaking.

For "General Settings==>Video Options" what settings would be recommended? (see image)

16GiB System memory
Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen C
6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Con
ATI Radeon 8450
Makvision M2929D1G 29" High Resolution (800x600) VGA CRT

Windows 10
Attract Mode 2.6.2
MAME .252
Modify message

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Graphics Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 08:35:46 pm »
15kHz monitors are easy to make recommendations for. Most old arcade games are 15kHz/240p. I'm not 100% on how much benefit there is to using GroovyMAME over normal MAME (this is the GM subforum, also used for CRT_emudriver) for a 31kHz+ monitor like yours.

As a starting point, I would go through the mame.ini file in your GroovyMAME directory and read each line. You might want to disable all the stretching options, and enable ones that allow integer scaling. That way you get full multiples so, 240p becomes 480p or 720p, etc. the image will look cleaner.

The problem arises with games that use more unusual resolution and aspect ratios. CPS1/2 games are essential, and those run at 384x224p. You can install modes to cover those, but you will probably need go through the modeline files that come with crt_emudriver and work things out. If you have not installed crt_emudriver, and don't really know anything about it, you might try reading this guide - https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/76809-a-guide-to-connecting-your-windows-pc-to-an-sd-crt-tv-pvm-or-arcade-monitor/

That doesn't really cover 480p tho, so you will want to google how to use switchres on a 31kHz monitor - https://lmgtfy.app/?q=best+way+to+use+a+31kHz+monitor+with+switchres

That isn't a complete answer either, some people love using 240p/120Hz modes, some find the motion is off. Some people love shaders and scanline filters (regular MAME will have some of these), so hate the way they make the picture dimmer.

You'll likely have to do some reading, and experiment to see what you like best.