Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows 10 issue with AimTrack lightguns  (Read 1170 times)

AirBurn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2023, 01:46:36 am
Windows 10 issue with AimTrack lightguns
« on: February 26, 2023, 11:01:43 pm »
Setup:
Windows 10 (sp 20H2)
MAME .252
Tankstick
Keyboard and mouse
2 AimTrak lightguns (firmware 9.20) (set as Device IDs 5 and 6)

When I have the lightguns unplugged, I experience no issues with the Windows or MAME. When 1 (or both) lightguns are plugged in, I quickly lose the ability to click with the mouse (or trackball/lightguns). The cursor will still move, but the task bar won't popup from being minimized, can't click to open folders, etc. If I ctrl-alt-del and left click a few times, I can then hit the cancel button and mouse functionality is restored, but this does not last long. I have tried the lightguns being plugged into the front and back of tower, and into a USB powered hub, and nothing resolved the issue.

When I open MAME (in the short period of time I can left click), all settings look fine - the buttons map correctly (I'm using a ctrlr mapping to hold IDs post reboot). When I try to launch a game, MAME black screens, and all I see is the cursor. This remains for about 20 seconds and MAME will close, and I will lose the ability to left/right click with the mice. I have tried leaving the physical mouse unplugged, reboots with lightguns plugged and unplugged, swapping the keyboard and mouse. I had the lightguns working on a windows 7 machine years ago running an older version of MAME. But since I'm getting weird OS behavior I don't think it's a MAME issue. Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on what might be happening?

Any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:31:52 pm by AirBurn »

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Windows 10 issue with AimTrack lightguns
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 01:09:16 am »
This is going to sound really dumb but try covering the IR sensor in the guns...put a blanket over them and see if you can use your mouse.
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 10:07:25 pm »
This is going to sound really dumb but try covering the IR sensor in the guns...put a blanket over them and see if you can use your mouse.

oh please be this

AirBurn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2023, 01:46:36 am
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 01:43:55 am »
It appears that MAME .252 is causing the issue. I jumped back to .217 and .251 and have no issues going forward. It's possible that the windows issues I was experiencing at times was having both guns plugged in and not IDed correctly during the various troubleshooting I was doing.

But with a fresh install of .252 on another machine, and only 1 light gun attached, MAME .252 crashes when I try to load a rom. This does not happen on .251