Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY Boardgame Table  (Read 1671 times)

Fonkybeachbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2023, 12:10:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DIY Boardgame Table
« on: February 12, 2023, 02:24:31 pm »
I tried using the search function but I do not see any projects doing the touchscreen boardgame table.  Has it been done?  Thanks!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
Re: DIY Boardgame Table
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:25:58 pm »
don't think so.
but i've seen IR frames for large TV's on the ali express site and i've seen people make these on the yutube also.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 12:20:51 am »
You know what’s more awesome than a virtual game table?

An actual table and actual board games.

Fonkybeachbum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2023, 12:10:14 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 09:00:43 am »
You mean like how it's better to play real football than tecmo bowl or how it's better to get a newspaper delivery job than to play paperboy or how it's better to join the space force than play space invaders or how it's better to play golf than golden tee?  Thanks for the advice!

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 10:20:13 am »
Yes, check the DIY section at boardgamegeek.com.

Falken Hawke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:21 pm
  • Professional Employee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 03:20:59 pm »
You know what’s more awesome than a virtual game table?

An actual table and actual board games.
I quit after the banker was caught embezzeling and the Wild Cards were found under the table.  Not fallen under the table but stuck to the underside of the table...

🤣

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 03:38:53 pm »
Also, there have been many tries at making a virtual game table.  I have one that went defunct called PlayTable.  I see Arcade1Up has one now.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 05:54:50 pm »
You mean like how it's better to play real football than tecmo bowl or how it's better to get a newspaper delivery job than to play paperboy or how it's better to join the space force than play space invaders or how it's better to play golf than golden tee?  Thanks for the advice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

:cheers:

I quit after the banker was caught embezzeling and the Wild Cards were found under the table.  Not fallen under the table but stuck to the underside of the table...

We kinda banned Monopoly for... ever.... after we discovered we were all stashing cash on the underside of the table.  Had a nifty little pouch system with a napkin and some tape going for my personal misdeeds.

Also, there have been many tries at making a virtual game table.  I have one that went defunct called PlayTable.  I see Arcade1Up has one now.

Yeah, they all fail because the idea sucks.  Don't put your drink on it, if it spills you'll fry the TV!  It also ---smurfs--- with the touch sensors if you lean on it!  Don't touch the table!

Large point of a boardgame for me is for everyone to stop staring at a screen and have some human interaction.  So let's all huddle around another internet device.  Pass.  And what's the joy in playing against randos if you don't get to enjoy their body odor and nuanced just-so political and religious opinions?

And what do you do for the games with the giant boards?  Squint?  Pinch and zoom?

As always, it's your money and do what thou wilt.

:cheers:

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 10:38:12 am »
Dude, you couldn't give off any more cranky old man vibes if you tried. It wouldn't have been so hard not to enter a thread about something you apparently have no interest in and not inform us about your incredibly important opinion on the matter...

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 12:06:11 pm »
Just ignore the troll.

To OP.  Another thing is most electronic board games are not designed for table usage.  Many have pass and play but then that means everyone has to look away while the current player takes their turn.

I really liked the PlayTable.  It was nice having the computer do all the fiddly bits and you can focus on the game.  having your phone be your hand in Catan was neat.  The RFID dice and Machi Koro was interesting.  However, if there is no software support it will never take off.  I think the only thing a touchscreen in a game table would be good for is D&D style games.

Also, from what I have seen, they all fall short of their promises.  Mainly due to the lack of support from game companies.  I believe PlayTable was supposed to have RFID bases for Wings of Glory miniatures which is one of my favorite miniatures games.  I would have loved having the computer track the fiddly bits for that game.  It probably would then only take 15 minutes for a game.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 12:08:42 am »
I kinda agree with mr cranky err i mean pbj, board games on a screen just don't work and that table top simulator software is a pita to use.
there might be other board game software?
idk i would just rather play the actual board game.

however, skirmish games, rpg's like d&d, and the old hex war games that came with punched out cardboard chits and tokens from the late 70's to early 80's are where TV in the table top can shine.
just because 50" Tv's are $200 and 55" are $300.
meanwhile it'll cost you $40-$50 to print out just one 2ft x 3ft map.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:40:05 am
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 01:32:32 am »
Back when I was a kid in the 70's there weren't any computers, there were no 55" TVs, and even my calculator was completely analog, powered by pressing hard on the keys. We had boardgames but they were (relatively) much more expensive then.

So we made our own board games out of cardboard boxes. Drew on the playfield, added special areas, cutout tokens for money etc. (sometimes borrowed tokens from some other game), painted out our own pictures/art.  It was awesome fun, and making the games was even better than playing them.

We even made our own "pinball machines" out of scrap wood, a marble, some nails and rubber bands.

Sometimes we even went outside and played in the dirt.

But you try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you! ;)

Check out my completed projects!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 09:45:10 am »
Back when I was a kid in the 70's there weren't any computers, there were no 55" TVs, and even my calculator was completely analog, powered by pressing hard on the keys. We had boardgames but they were (relatively) much more expensive then.

So we made our own board games out of cardboard boxes. Drew on the playfield, added special areas, cutout tokens for money etc. (sometimes borrowed tokens from some other game), painted out our own pictures/art.  It was awesome fun, and making the games was even better than playing them.

We even made our own "pinball machines" out of scrap wood, a marble, some nails and rubber bands.

Sometimes we even went outside and played in the dirt.

But you try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you! ;)

! went outside and hit stuff with sticks.
fired off homemade rockets
played with fireworks
jumped my bike (poorly)
played sports ect.

i grew up in the country though so as long as i was with the dog my parents just pushed me out the door and let natural selection keep me alive it seemed.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:40:05 am
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 11:28:22 am »
! went outside and hit stuff with sticks.
fired off homemade rockets
played with fireworks
jumped my bike (poorly)
played sports ect.

i grew up in the country though so as long as i was with the dog my parents just pushed me out the door and let natural selection keep me alive it seemed.

Heh - We have very similar childhoods! Country, outdoors, bikes, dogs and... gunpowder... :D

I also used to make hydrogen bombs at home, using everyday stuff that you can easily buy from the supermarket (no, not telling how here). Not the version involving nuclear fission. I'd just fill balloons full of hydrogen extracted from a chemical reaction, attach a wick infused with kero (or maybe just a sparkler), and let them float them off to excite the neighbours. Eventually they would explode ala "Hindenburg" (btw never did it during periods of high or even moderate bushfire risk, usually in "wet" season).

We were just innocent kids learning and having "harmless" fun. OK, I guess it was a little dumb or dangerous but one knew the risks. However, back then we didn't often hear people talking about "terrorists". I suspect that, if we tried to do similar today, someone would come and give us stern, serious talks. Or worse.
Check out my completed projects!