Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Fixed" 39k7600 issue, Screen is beautiful but fades dims out 10 minutes later  (Read 1425 times)

Customcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2023, 03:35:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wells 39k7600 issue, Screen is beautiful but fades dims out 10 minutes later.

I can leave the game on and shut the monitor off separate for a few minutes turn it on and it's a nice crisp display again but few minutes later it slowly dims out to a blank screen.

Last time I did a cap kit was probably ten years ago but figured I would ask before I jump in a replace stuff that was perfectly fine type thing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:11:17 am by Customcade »

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
Slow fade to black is usually the heaters going out in the neck. I don't know your monitor. I'm an old school TV engineer. Check for dry joints on the tube neck conector and around the LOPTX.

Customcade

• Offline Offline
Cool thanks for the reply and will check it out.

Been over a decade since I last did the cap kit and don't remember if I can or cannot pull the neck board without discharging it first.

Customcade

• Offline Offline
Are these caps leaking, looks like toothpaste and not hot glue.

Customcade

• Offline Offline
Couple other spots

Customcade

• Offline Offline
Final example

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:30:41 am
you would need to monitor the hv and b+ to prove whats going on

that is just factory glue around those caps

the sort of fault you describe is more likely bad solder joint and i would look in particular around crt socket and rgb input but in general the entire chassis should be investigated

i don't have any experience with this size tube but from previous readings I have seen known issues with 39" tubes and failure similar to this

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
i had a bad solder joint like than on the neckboard connection for the G2 that made the screen slowly go dim, but it was like a thermostat, and kept fading in and out about once a minute.

Customcade

• Offline Offline
i had a bad solder joint like than on the neckboard connection for the G2 that made the screen slowly go dim, but it was like a thermostat, and kept fading in and out about once a minute.

That's what this is doing, it's acting like a heater issue.

I checked the back side of the neck board and looks good but will just have to pull the main PCB and look them over again.

I was just hoping to fix it without having to pull it out again.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:30:41 am
next time it happens increase the screen volts on the flyback to see if you obtain a raster, that will eliminate a load of issues

Customcade

• Offline Offline
Will definitely try it, I have not played with any setting's on anything or touched any of the pots for it yet.

It's a nice crisp clear still display when it's working it just fades out after a few minutes after it seems to heat up some.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
If you turn the lights down in the room you'll clearly see the tube heaters. Watch for the heater going out when the issue occurs.

Customcade

• Offline Offline
It ended up being bad solder joints from the manufacture.

Mine all still looked solid shiny and purdy from the cap work I did a decade ago.

I seen at least three points that didn't look good at all so I got those three and then there was about ten more that were questionable if they had a hairline crack so I just hit them all with some heat and added a little fresh solder since I already had it out might as well type thing.

Put it back in and I let it run for 2-3 and was perfect but now the screen was actually too bright where the black was more grey and the white color was too rich so I just barely touched the screen pot on the flyback and turned it down a hair and boom it looks like a brand new screen again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, glad it was a free fix and one I could tackle with all of your help again.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
glad it was a simple fix!