Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade CRT from HDMI Intel Laptop  (Read 1012 times)

brained

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 08:54:08 am
  • Raised by Atari
    • Nux
Arcade CRT from HDMI Intel Laptop
« on: February 02, 2023, 08:20:58 am »
Probably this question has been answered tons of times, but I can't find relevant information in the forums about the subject.

I currently have my cabinet running a Samsung SyncMaster 21" crt with a Pentium 4 PC. Recently I've got a new laptop with an Intel I7 and Intel Integrated Graphics. After years of searching, I finally found a CRT Monitor for my cab. I only got a picture for the label of the CRT tube because I haven't picked it up yet. The only thing I have is a Label that shows 73SX707Y22.

After doing some google search it seems to be a Sanwa 29" arcade monitor. Well, long story short. I'm planning on using Batocera for the arcade machine and I wanna know the correct path of hooking this monitor to the computer. What do I need besides a HDMI to VGA and a Spliced VGA cable for the output.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Arcade CRT from HDMI Intel Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 12:45:08 pm »
going to need to know exactly what model the monitor is before anyone is going to be able to submit any kind of information on how to connect it.

could be as easy as HDMI to VGA adapter... but depending on the monitor, it may be incapable of a resolution as high as 640x480 in which case you are going to have to use a scaler to drop the resolution down to whatever the monitor is capable of.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 05:13:01 pm »
going to need to know exactly what model the monitor is before anyone is going to be able to submit any kind of information on how to connect it.

could be as easy as HDMI to VGA adapter... but depending on the monitor, it may be incapable of a resolution as high as 640x480 in which case you are going to have to use a scaler to drop the resolution down to whatever the monitor is capable of.

Surely something like Groovyarcade can push 15kHz directly for a more accurate experience. There must be other distros that can as well. I would have thought the scaler wasn't strictly necessary

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:02:48 pm »

Surely something like Groovyarcade can push 15kHz directly for a more accurate experience. There must be other distros that can as well. I would have thought the scaler wasn't strictly necessary

i was going to suggest this, but i wasn't sure if something like soft15k, or what have you, could get the iGPU to do that or not. i know they can be a little weird when you try and make them do stuff.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 06:23:21 pm »
well, i know an iGPU on windows is pretty much a no-go for 15kHz. So that rules out soft15kHz. I would have thought Linux could do it tho. But i don't use Linux much, let alone Groovyarcade.

A good place to ask about this would be in the GroovyMAME subforum. Substring and doozer on there would know much more :)

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:53:34 am
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 02:32:44 am »
the tube number sounds like a shanghai novel so the chassis is most likely a sanwa 29es31s but could also be a sanwa pm1755(pfx), former being 31khz only and the latter 15-31khz