Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tornado Terry vs. original Pac Man stick?  (Read 642 times)

TurboC--

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 12:23:05 am
  • No one can defeat the quad laser!
Tornado Terry vs. original Pac Man stick?
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:36:43 am »
Just quickly want to find out if anyone has used the Tornado Terry 4-way stick, and your opinion of it? If the original Pac-Man stick is 10/10, how would you rate the Tornado Terry?

As for why:
- It just came back in stock at $31 (this is like 50% more than the average replacement stick and what it used to cost, but only half the cost of the authentic Pac-man stick)
- I see it is generally liked, but have still heard of issues with it
- Some people claimed there is no replacement for the real one
- Even though the review videos obviously have hardcore ARCADE enthusiasts, I don't feel they were hardcore PAC-MAN enthusiasts. What's fine for one might not be for the other.

Hoping to get real reports from Pac-man nuts who have used it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:09:35 am by TurboC-- »

redbeard30

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2023, 10:32:16 am
Re: Tornado Terry vs. original Pac Man stick?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 12:12:02 pm »
I had one in my cabinet... I think I went thru 4 or 5, 4 way joysticks looking for that OG pacman control feel... Tornados was one of those... For 31$ it's not a bad stick, but it's still just a micro switch 4 way.   Nothing is like the original leaf switch.  I finally settled on a Seimitsu with a 4 way gate. Not sure if it's actually better then tornados 4 way, but after months of testing the sticks, I played best with the siemitsu so I went with it. I think part of the reason the OG pacman joy was so nice, is because of the short throw being in a metal control panel...most joys now are longer throws due to longer shafts for mounting in 3/4 inch panels.

TurboC--

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 12:23:05 am
  • No one can defeat the quad laser!
Re: Tornado Terry vs. original Pac Man stick?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 07:05:15 pm »
Wow I didn't realize Terrys was a microswitch. What the heck.

Guess I'll just get the real original one again someday. Thanks.

** Anyone tried this leaf switch one from MikesArcade?  Only $17, hmm.

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=JOYLSNEW
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:54:43 pm by TurboC-- »