Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Touring Cab FFB fix  (Read 671 times)

Retro77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 08:50:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega Touring Cab FFB fix
« on: September 29, 2023, 08:50:10 am »
Hi all,

With the use of this forum I have managed to bring a Sega Touring car cab back to life that had been hacked to pieces.

Pretty much every original wire had been cut and spliced into a non-working mess with a broken PC inside.

It now works with a PC attached and a 2-1 shifter made by Delo (massively recommended) which allows me to play a whole host of games from MAME, Model 2 and Howard's OutRun 2 mod with the correct gear formations.

My question is, as I don't have anything original apart from the motor, belts and some cut cables behind the dashboard (very heavy). Is there any way I could buy the parts to bring the force feedback back to life too? I don't know where to start.

I know of the incredible FFB work being done on here but I think my cab has too many missing original elements to use this at the moment. I don't even know if my cab is compatible with this software.

It all works great as it is but it would be fantastic if I could add that last little touch to make it really play like an arcade again.

Thanks

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Sega Touring Cab FFB fix
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:20 am »
I don't think it's going to be easy to add parts to what you have without buying a whole original assembly. Or you could try coming up with your own solution with belts and pullets. Either way the motor needs a controller feeding some drivers/mosfets to give it power, and the controller needs to interface with your PC. There is the PWM2M2 project (the updated L2M2) - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=160169.0 for this, along with a number of DIY solutions like the MMOS FFB project and some Arduino-based ones. I would imagine the FFB setup in STTC is identical to that in Daytona or Sega Rally, so you might try searching on here or google or even marketplace to see if anything crops up, whether that's ideas or parts.

Anything like this will have device descriptors for USB, and that will basically mean it will work with Boomslangnz's FFB plugin in driving games. I would strongly recommend proving that with a minimal setup on the bench, if you do decide to DIY, before spending a ton of cash or carving up the cab further :)

Pics of the Cab? I love the STCC cab, wish i had room for a pair of originals. And that there were any nearby. And that i had the money... :D

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:55:53 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Re: Sega Touring Cab FFB fix
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 08:21:39 am »
so, I went the PWM2HAPP route (which is the sister project of the PWM2M2) for my SF Rush the Rock cabinet. 

My project thread has some details on the wiring, etc.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162932.msg1726440.html#msg1726440

The guys at the gamoover forums are really helpful with this stuff.  I believe Aganyte posts here from time to time as well, but your best bet is to go over to the gamoover forums and ask questions / get answers there.

The forum is completely in French (or at least 90%) -- so I posted in french using google translate and it worked out just fine.

It involved me buying a very cheap arduino mega and doing some basic wiring.  It will also read in all of your other controls -- wheel, buttons, etc into a single interface and make it really easy to configure them in-app.