Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for CNC woodworker  (Read 3131 times)

Justin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:04:14 am
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
Looking for CNC woodworker
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:22:38 pm »
Does anyone know of a service that provides CNC woodworking for a simple control panel? 

The ones I found mentioned across several posts here seem to be long gone or no longer performing custom CNC services.

I'm in Ohio.
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Looking for CNC woodworker
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 02:19:24 pm »
google maps is your friend.

there are tons of woodworking/cabinetry places that do CNC, mainly because its faster and more accurate to have a CNC do it opposed to a guy using templates or jiggs.

your main issue is going to be finding someone who wants to take on side work.

we have a woodwork guy in a bay 4 down from us at my work who does CNC stuff, but does not want to take on side work since they already have a ton of stuff they do constantly already, so we take our stuff across town. as convenient as a CNC guy is to us, it just isn't in the cards for us.

also check around for "makerspaces" ... you might be able to "rent" time on a CNC this way.

protip: do all your CNC layout if you have the ability and be ready to give your guy a ready to go DXF.

if you have a ready to go file and they can just load your material in and hit start, you are more likely to find someone who will just do this for you opposed to having to go find someone who will not only MAKE your item in CAD, but also cut it. most of your time will be spent in CAD making the thing. if your guy knows he just needs to supply a half hour or hour of CNC time and maybe a new bit, he will be more likely to say yes than having to take a guy and pay him to CAD it up too.

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:42:37 pm »
Thanks a lot. 

Yes I have the DXF ready to go!  I do CAD work for a living.   I'll see if I can find someone locally!

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 05:22:54 pm
  • Looking to help with woodworking questions.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 11:15:57 pm »
A few basic comments. Having a DXF is a great start but converting that to a cut capable file depends on some toolpathing for traditional CNC. This isn't a big deal if the file is relatively straightforward for your CNC provider to do. You will need to provide whoever is going to do this with the DXF and the material or material specs to allow toolpathing.

Where roughly are you located regionally?
Richard

Woodworker and computer builder.
Traditional, digital design, CNC and laser techniques. Always happy to help if I can.

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 12:32:29 am »
Im in the Cincinnati area.

There is an incredible place I found called the Manufactory and they have a high end CNC. I can get trained for $90 and then $35 for a full day.   I will be learning and doing this myself.
Software is Mach3.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 10:10:32 am »
Like Robo was saying you can't just feed a DXF into Mach3.  Mach3 runs the CNC and wants a file that is G-code.  Normally you would import the DXF into another program (I use Aspire 8.0) and create your toolpaths and then generate your output file (g-code).  The toolpaths define which bit you plan to use for each cut and its associated plunge rates and feed rates.  Just imagine an 1/8" bit would need to follow a different path than a 1/4" bit to cut the same size object.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 10:13:14 am »
Or you could just cut the control panel with basic power tools.

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 11:48:05 am »
Justin - following up on your comment above. I agree with what Gilrock was saying.

Mach3 is just the software that controls the CNC router. It's rather an older (and somewhat more hobbiest oriented) system but works just fine. It takes G-code and converts it into movements on the CNC. To toolpath you will need to bring your DXF into another software package (like Vcarve, Aspire or similar) and provide information about the material and thickness. Every CNC machine has its own capabilities which are a function of spindle power, size, presence or absence of an automatic tool changer, etc. I'm sure if you are taking the training they will cover this although 90 min seems a bit quick. You need a postprocessor for Vcarve/Aspire that is specific to your machine and some understanding of tooling and holddown issues. You can easily crash the machine, break bits, or screw up your workpiece if you don't understand certain aspects of toolpathing. So there is a bit to it but it's certainly fun work. Solidworks certainly also has add on manufacturing modules that will allow toolpathing as well directly from your model but I have no experience doing that with solidworks (which seems more focused on CNC milling, etc).

Most of the work in this case will be in the planning and setup stages. Cutting out something like this on a decent CNC will take you < 10 min. You may want to consider how you are hinging things. If you are going to use Euro-style hinges (or anything really) you may want to have the CNC mortise out the cups and drill holes, etc. Or you can go easy and just do all that manually afterward.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:53:14 am by RobodocX »
Richard

Traditional, digital design, CNC and laser techniques. Always happy to help if I can.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 11:56:01 am »
That Manufactory has a lot of equipment.

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 12:03:16 pm »
They do seem well stocked. These makerspaces are great but the business model has been challenging for some so we've lost a lot of them during the pandemic. $35 seems like an amazing deal if that actually lets you use all their equipment, software, CNC for a whole day.

I note that they also have several lasers. It can be advantageous to use your DXF to cut out cover sheets of acrylic for control panels - something to think about. I did that with my last panel and it was nice - easy to sandwich graphics, easy to clean, easy to make, etc.
Richard

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 11:32:26 pm »
my guy personally wants just DXF. that way he can use his own program to generate the gcode using his own toolpath pre-settings according to his machines capabilities. this not only optimizes his time on the machine, but prevent damaging bits.

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 10:28:03 am »
I ended up getting access to a large CNC and I'm using vcarve. So far so good. Love it.

One issue I have:  how to address the cutting of the lexan sheet?  I'm thinking placing on top of the MDF and cutting all in one go.   (Only the button holes and the main outline- no drilling of screw holes).

The issue is, how do I hold down the lexan?  I can screw the 4 outer corners down.  But there will be nothing supporting the lexan once the outline is cut.  I have no screw holes in my lexan design (screws will be underneath and countersunk)

What is the best way to keep the lexan safe and held down once the outline is cut out?

Maybe I should place the lexan on the bottom but I am avoiding that for a few other reasons...

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 11:17:14 am »
i would personally do it separately.  cut it oversize, attach firmly to the waste sheet... do the panel button and holes... then apply it to the panel with as much stuff as you need to keep it steady... and use a flush cut bit (and roundover if so desired) in a handheld router.

also, are you using Lexan (tm) or "lexan" (the generic word people often use for clear plastic.) for home use I'd use "plexiglas" and not lexan, as lexan scratches if you so much as look at it funny. it should only be use if vandalism is a concern in public areas.

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 12:39:42 pm »
Thanks good points.  Also, my lexan polycarbonate she will be wrapped with vinyl so scratches are of no concern.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 04:18:52 pm »
I use a product from a local plastic shop that says OptiPlex on the outside paper.  It cuts so much nicer on the CNC than the plastic junk you get at Home Depot.  I've cut control panel cover on the CNC and you really only need to worry about it moving when it cuts the last few inches.  It should be heavy enough it will just release and the CNC will lift the bit.  I've never seen it be a problem.  Or if it worries you sometimes I'll just put my hand on the piece as it gets close to the end of the outline cut.  Or you could do the cuts in two phases.  After cutting the inside holes use small pieces of wood with a center screw to hold it down in the middle then run the outline cut.  If you're gonna trim cut with a router no need to even use a CNC just jigsaw the darn thing close to the line.

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 04:43:51 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

It's OPTIX right? Lowe's carries this. But it's acrylic, not polycarbonate.  I thought acrylic was prone to crack with a router bit?

Justin

• Offline Offline
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 08:11:44 am »
Also, I decided to cut all together - mdf and lexan- using some of the tips provided here.

Question: lexan on top or on bottom?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 12:51:50 pm »
acrylic AKA "plexiglas" is scratch resistant but has a tendency to crack or break if stressed too much. it is also susceptible to some chemicals causing "crazing"

polycarbonate AKA "lexan"  scratches if you so much as look at it funny but is strong enough to survive being bent over itself 180 degrees dozens of times over and over before it would give up and break.

typically it goes control panel -> artwork -> plastic.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 09:03:04 pm »
If the cab is for home use you don't need to bother with plexi at all.