Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Most commonly used 2.25 in trackball?  (Read 769 times)

Justin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:04:14 am
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
Most commonly used 2.25 in trackball?
« on: January 14, 2023, 10:57:59 am »
It's been 20 years now since my first build so I'm not quite up to date on things.     I looked around but couldn't quite reach a conclusion :
Is there a known preferred reliable 2.25 inch trackball that people use nowadays?   I would prefer it have both ps/2 and USB, but either one is also fine.
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:11:31 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Most commonly used 2.25 in trackball?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 02:05:19 pm »
Is there a known preferred reliable 2.25 inch trackball that people use nowadays?   I would prefer it have both ps/2 and USB, but either one is also fine.
Good news: Happ makes great trackballs and great optical Red Boards. ;D

Not-so-good news: If you get a Happ trackball, avoid the ones with the built-in USB and PS/2 interface like this.

They are really expensive and there have been complaints of backspin.   :angry:

If you go with a Happ trackball, get one with the Red Boards and arcade-style molex harness.
- Use the GGG Trackball Cable for Opti-Wiz "No-Solder" to replace the Molex harness.

Scott

Justin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:04:14 am
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 02:30:47 pm »
Thanks Scott!  Fantastic info.

So the GGG cables: they connect to the opti wiz board which I need to purchase separately?  I assume that board then provides usb and ps2 inputs?   I'll research this more. Thanks!
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:11:31 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 03:18:05 pm »
So the GGG cables: they connect to the opti wiz board which I need to purchase separately?
Yes, you will need an optical (mouse) encoder to translate the Quadrature waveforms from the Red Boards into mouse movements.

The cable is plug-and-play with the Opti-Wiz3, but you can rearrange the GGG cable Dupont wires (black housings on the left) to work with Ultimarc optical encoders or an Arduino if you feel like saving some money by "rolling your own" optical encoder.

I assume that board then provides usb and ps2 inputs?
Nope, just USB -- lower left connector in pic above.

Scott