Arcade Collecting > Pinball

Careful what you wish for- I finally got to join the club

<< < (2/7) > >>

bobbyb13:
Ooo....
Thanks for the tip pbj.
I hadn't considered that possible for this machine but if I can bulletproof the thing for $500 it is worth it.
I already got the sockets for that thing so I'm going to give fixing it a shot today but if my repair attempt fails I'm ordering one of those boards for sure.

Been so distracted with other stuff that I haven't plugged it in yet.
Too scared to do so without checking the power supply function/voltages first.

I need to dig up a manual and see what I am supposed to find for power and really look at the whole thing to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

pbj:
Meh, don't be scared.  Plug it in.

bobbyb13:
You're right of course, I need to just stop being a sissy.
I got the legs on it this morning before I had to head out for the day.

I'm going to try to put those sockets in tonight and give it a go.
This one might be up and running first actually.

bobbyb13:
Well, I got the sockets and chips in the main board (I think ok enough) and put everything back together and plugged it in
Only got lights and a bump out of the speaker.
I poked around with a meter and was getting -0.43v where I should have +5v and found 42v and 16v in other spots on the PS.
I need to look up what is what.
Somebody has been into this before based on soldering I see where I bet they found burnt headers and juat lqnded wires right on the board.

Maybe I need to start with a new power supply AND mpu.

At least it didn't just burst into flames like I expected.

pbj:
"juat lqnded"

???

It's always power supply and connector problems with pinball machines.  Only Data East I owned was a Jurassic Park so I'm of little use besides the basics.  Sometimes you won't see the correct voltage on the supplies until there's a load on them, but.... 0.43V is very low.

If you do end up replacing connectors and such, you may need to cut back a couple of inches into the wires to get some decent copper.  There's where I'm at on my World Cup Soccer, but it's more like a foot or two.  I threw in the towel and replaced the lights with LEDs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version