Main > Everything Else

Do you advertise BOYAC elsewhere?

(1/3) > >>

tommyinajar:
 I've been on PC's for almost 40 years, and on probably 40 msg boards.

BYOAC is the only one I really Schill for. I plug it on slick deals (Every 1-up thread I accidently read, lol), Ebay, friend's, cable repair guys, (saw 6 cabs here)

I was wondering if anyone else does, or if maybe I should stop.

I'm on a few car or tool forums that really blast noob questions

. I blundered into a great one(https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/search/)- and got beat down (4 pages of "Search Dumbass") when I asked if Gearwrench were as good as craftsman, which was asked 1000 times that week,,,    :lol

tommyinajar:
 I also was wondering if membership has grown, or average or what, I can guess it's going up, 1-Up- :P, but I bet a lot of guys here daily 10 years ago, may have gotten too fat and too many kids to be playing video game, said the wife. :notworthy:

lilshawn:
i don't know the official numbers but I think we probably lose as many people here to dying of old age as people that genuinely sign up and become regulars.

PL1:

--- Quote from: tommyinajar on December 14, 2022, 12:22:55 pm ---I also was wondering if membership has grown, or average or what

--- End quote ---
You can see the number of signups each year/month/day at the bottom of the stats page.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=stats

For several years now, there have been an average of about 5-7 signups per day, usually 2 of those are spam accounts.

The massive number of new accounts from 2010-2013 reflects the development and deployment of systematic spam account creation tools before the forum software got a bit better at preventing mass spam account creation.

The number of posts per year peaked in 2005 and has decreased since.
- There are now over 1,715,920 posts on the BYOAC forums, so many people can find the answers they're looking for without posting a new question.

Scott

Zebidee:
I first started haunting BYOAC over 15 years ago. I learned much of what i know about arcade gaming/cabs/emulation here.

Back then I worked in ICT/digital economy innovation and industry development, and my BYOAC experiences influenced my work. From those 'seeds' of thinking, a whole new policy/development 'theme' around access, hubs, digital literacy, e-communities, social innovation and 'digital collaboration' emerged. I could (& actually did) write essays, but will summarise by saying it was a fun time.

--- Quote from: tommyinajar on December 14, 2022, 12:06:04 pm --- I'm on a few car or tool forums that really blast noob questions

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately that still happens here. Despite what I noted above, I was called a "newcomer" recently, by a member who (by comparison) must surely be completely fossilised into rock by now (though I suspect they are slightly younger than I am). I'm not new, they just didn't get what I was talking about.

There is a team of "thugs" that roam about this forum, looking for any opportunity to either a) mansplain to newcomers why their 'newcomer' thinking is wrong; or b) tell people with new ideas that their ideas are "dumb", even if the people presenting them have been successfully implementing or proving them for many years, and with many good reports from those that have actually seen what they have done.

The 'thugs' like to provoke the 'newcomer' by mansplaining why their ideas are 'wrong' or 'dumb', until they finally crack and explode, at which point all the ancient fossils go and high-five each other. Great entertainment.

I keep hoping for the mods to be more active about this kind of behaviour, but understand that there is little they can do except when a member is clearly out of line.

This sort of 'ossification' of thinking in an older forum, like this, is not new.

Having said all that, don't give up hope, there are many wonderful people and new ideas coming out on BYOAC all the time. It is a still a vibrant community.

--- Quote from: tommyinajar on December 14, 2022, 12:22:55 pm --- I also was wondering if membership has grown, or average or what, I can guess it's going up, 1-Up- :P, but I bet a lot of guys here daily 10 years ago, may have gotten too fat and too many kids to be playing video game, said the wife. :notworthy:

--- End quote ---

This is also true, to some extent. BYOAC appeals more to older gamers, from the arcade era. Younger people tend to be more attracted to forums more focused on console and other gaming platforms. Such is life :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version