Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I'm surprised there isn't a Steam Deck thread already.  (Read 2408 times)

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
I'm surprised there isn't a Steam Deck thread already.
« on: November 29, 2022, 11:21:16 pm »
I've been away a while...but...I got one, I like it. It plays Lots of games really well, emulates well...is perhaps a bit fiddley, but for me that's a pro. Because after all that's why I come here. It's pretty amazing especially for the price.

I'm sure there are more Deck owners on BYOAC.

Who else has got one and how do you like it?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: I'm surprised there isn't a Steam Deck thread already.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 12:33:51 pm »
i passed simply because literally the second they released it, they announced working on another one... and a 512GB NVME is not worth 320 bucks more than base. a 500gb NVME is like 60 bucks.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 01:06:27 pm »
... It's pretty amazing especially for the price.

I think one would need to do a few contortions to convince themselves of that.  If playing PC games on a handheld is a dream come true for you, then it has great value at just about any price.  But if emulation is the goal, I think there is much better value to be had.  I'm with lilshawn.  The consensus seems to be that the 512GB model is pretty much necessary to maximize the usefulness of the device, and it's just priced outside the bounds of what most would consider sensible. 

But Valve has never really designed their products for the "masses", rather for enthusiasts with deep pockets.  The quality is usually pretty good, and customer service is top-notch when there's an issue, which seems to occur with about the same regularity as with products from other manufacturers.  But you pay for that at the time of purchase, which may or may not make sense to do, given the rapid advancements in technology and the number of off-shore manufacturers currently jumping into the handheld market.  At least one of these is using a new Qualcomm chipset and the handheld is convertible to a stand-alone VR headset with fully tracked, detachable controllers and insane resolution.  Like anything, the best value for the money depends on the user's priorities.   

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 02:50:08 pm »
enthusiasts with deep pockets.

i think thats the rub.

i think what they have done is created a perfectly balanced market, just out of range of the layperson, so that they can easily keep up with production with the hardcore users who'll stop at no price to get one..

how long did it take for the PS5 to become a just-walk-into-a-store-and-buy-a-console... console?

as far as i can recall, there has never been a waitlist or anything for the steam deck an if you ordered it, it was like 1 to 2 weeks and you just got it...which i feel is perfectly acceptable wait time for something, especially if you are ordering it online.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 09:08:39 pm »
Here's the thing.   Any time steam/valve release a product you shouldn't buy it.   Why?   Well, because they have abandoned every hardware project they have ever released.   Every......single....one.   It'll be fun until they lose too much money and decide to pull the plug and you are left with a very specialized pc and no more optimized ports left to buy. 

dmckean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 10:10:33 pm »
My 7 year old daughter loves it.

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 06:58:57 am »
I actually quite like the concept. Sure, it's basically just an X86 laptop (or tablet) in another form factor, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think laptop keyboards and touch screens are ideally suited for gaming, so this definitely fills a niche. I also really like the fact that it's been built in a modular way, with user replaceable parts. So, if for example, the d-pad failed, you wouldn't be screwed.

I will agree that the 512GB model is overpriced. However, the base model is decent value, and there's nothing to stop you from adding your own SSD separately.

Valve's support is a non-issue for me, because if I bought one of these devices, I would mostly be running regular Windows or Linux on it.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 12:41:07 am »
I love mine. Played Assassin’s Creed IV on flights to Chicago and NYC last month. It’s great for casual gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 01:25:29 pm »
I actually quite like the concept. Sure, it's basically just an X86 laptop (or tablet) in another form factor, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I bought a second-hand Dell tablet for less.  i7 processor, pretty much the same memory and more storage, nice size high-res screen and thin.  Never tested it's gaming ability, but if the integrated GPU is capable of doing a reasonable job at similar res and detail levels as a steam deck, it would have a lot more utility with the simple addition of a bluetooth game controller.  As a lark, I might try dual-booting SteamOS on it to see what it does.  But this form factor with a capable APU would be my preference.  I've had a lot of handhelds over the years which end up collecting dust because with gaming, screen size is king, and I don't do public transportation.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I'm surprised there isn't a Steam Deck thread already.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 07:53:51 pm »
enthusiasts with deep pockets.
as far as i can recall, there has never been a waitlist or anything for the steam deck an if you ordered it, it was like 1 to 2 weeks and you just got it...which i feel is perfectly acceptable wait time for something, especially if you are ordering it online.
I waited a year to get mine. I put down a five dollar deposit when they were announced and then I got an email when it was time to pay the rest about a year later.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 11:58:21 pm »
I waited a year to get mine. I put down a five dollar deposit when they were announced and then I got an email when it was time to pay the rest about a year later.

That's because the moment you paid your deposit, you were on "Valve time".  Ask anyone with a broken Lighthouse what this is, if you don't already know. :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 01:23:14 am »
For those that have a Steam Deck, what are you playing on it that you’re enjoying? Looking for new ideas, especially stuff that can be played while traveling.