Main > Linux

linux_kernel_15khz: 640x480i via AMD APU

<< < (2/2)

fdaniels:
Okay, I am giving up for now. I tried getting a Wifi/Bluetooth USB combo dongle to work on Ubuntu and it seems like drivers are going to be an issue here too. I purchased a PVM CRT that supports 480p output and that will suit me just fine. Came close, but I just could not figure out how to get 480i to work on this APU.  :'(

Going to see if I can at least get 480p to work on my new PVM. Wish me luck.

Substring:
Lycky you, your VGA is a fake one, and is in fact a bridged DP. !The only solution in your case is to use an EDID file and force the onnector to enabled.

I haven't tried that with Ubuntu, so I don't know if you have to push the EDID in the initramfs or not

fdaniels:
That makes a lot of sense, cause xrandr calls my VGA interface (Displayport-2).  :lol

It is still strange that I was able to get working 240p after compiling support into the compiler. That said I was able to get a really nice example of a PVM-14L5 which natively supports 480p and 720p in addition to the low dot-clock resolutions. Watching some old movies at 480p was super otherworldly, no flicker and almost felt like I was watching it on a modern display. I WAS surprised that the actual screen was only 13 inches in diameter, which is half an inch smaller than my PVM-1342Q - which is a 13 inch PVM.

Substring:
the DP interface is usually loaded with some generic 31kHz resolutions when a monitor is detected but no EDID was returned. When you use the 15kHz kernel patch, specifying a mode with the video= like you did just adds the resolution to the pool associated to the connector, and is not the default one. That's why you must use an EDID. Switchres can generate such an EDID, it's much used in GroovyArcade

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version