Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Retro Bootloop  (Read 1659 times)

ThirdGenAmusement

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2022, 05:55:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL Retro Bootloop
« on: November 14, 2022, 01:09:35 pm »
I have replaced the cpu battery(3v 2032) and the 3.6v battery.  I have also replaced the image on a known good cf card.  Machine powers up, gets through the first screen. It dies and reboots once it gets to the second bios screen at the point it says:

Run Linux
Loading /bz Image.................
Loading /initrd-nocd.gz..................ready.

and thats as far as it loads.  It then goes blank, then the no signal flashes on the screen for a second then goes through the reboot process and re-fails.

I know the cpu fan is dead though the cabinet fan works.  I hope it didnt overheat and fry the MPU.  Any thoughts of what to check ?

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2023, 08:02:38 pm
  • Custom Cabinets and Games FTW!
Re: JVL Retro Bootloop
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 02:20:30 pm »
I used to work on them every now an then.  I have seen this before.  I believe the way I fixed it was by replacing the motherboard.  Something on the motherboard gets too hot and one of the chips deballs if I remember right.  I could be mistaken though, but if you want to give a reflow a try, that might fix it.  Or it could be a corrupt game file in the attract mode, that is another on that I have seen happen.  I think it was on the monkey game or something.
Hardware Guy: It is a software problem!
Software Guy: It is a hardware problem!
Me: Hold My Beer!

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:58:28 am
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 03:04:49 pm »
Have a pile of motherboards that does this. Have tried replacing memory, CPU, cf card in all of them. .... Seems to be the board itself and I don't know how to fix or if it can be fixed

ThirdGenAmusement

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2022, 05:55:17 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 05:53:28 pm »
Well shoot.  ok I appreciate your reply.  Makes sense since the cpu fan isn't operating.  I will have to keep an eye out for a replacement.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 08:50:16 pm »
If you are savy with board work, you can try a reflow and see if that solves the issue, at least you can have it running for a while until you can get a replacement board...?  Sorry I can't be more help on the matter.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 12:43:34 pm »
if i remember correctly, these machines are kinda finnicky regarding the date and time settings in the bios... often not loading software if the date was out way before the software release day.

hook a keyboard up get in and make sure the date and time are correct and see if that straightens it out.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 11:41:59 am »
I got so fed up with one of mine (JVL Retro) that I completely gutted the system and built in a gaming computer instead.  Took me about 6 months, but I got everything working the way it should and even thermals were within par for a normal PC tower case.  Made a custom control panel for it, made the coin return the power button, built in a custom amp to drive the two speakers at the front of the original system, and took it a step further and made a custom scrolling ticker display above the monitor!!  Also got the original monitor to work again by replacing the back light with some compact LED strip and even the touch screen works.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:06:46 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 11:14:25 am »
I just gut the insides and mount megatouch parts in them. At least the touchscreens are compatible.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 11:32:53 am »
I just gut the insides and mount megatouch parts in them. At least the touchscreens are compatible.

HA, yeah really, I was thinking the same thing.  Megatouch hardware is better in the fact that parts are a bit more modular than JVL.