Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Its a raspberry pi3b a good option for single games?  (Read 2336 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
Its a raspberry pi3b a good option for single games?
« on: November 13, 2022, 11:03:19 pm »
So im building a bucket list. It will be many single games cabinets , in a smaill version so i can just hang them in a wall. It will be something similar as this picture i stole from the net. The diference is, i want to use real crt, so my best cheapes bet would be using 13 inch rgb moded tvs. So far i can hoock my groovymame pc and it looks nice. But since this are gonna be a singe game, i was thinking that maybe a raspberry pi 3b plus the vga666 conection would be good enough to pull this trick off. So my question is: can the raspberry pi output single games in 15khz? maybe an OS like recallbox but boting in single game? What are your opinions? thanks for reading.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Its a raspberry pi3b a good option for single games?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 12:58:20 am »
I'm seeing two questions here.

1. Can a RasPi output a 15khz video signal?
- Yes.  Some limitations and hardware suggestions were discussed several years ago in your other thread here.

2. Can a RasPi 3b run the games on your build list?
- Maybe.  Depends on the games.
- Most of the old-school classics should run fine on a 3b.
- For some newer games you might need to upgrade to a RasPi 4 or 4B.
- Depending on the price difference, it might be worth upgrading to a 4 or 4B, especially if you want to use bbegin's "dedicated MAME Appliance" image here.  You should be able to modify the startup sequence so it boots to the dedicated game instead of the (default) MAME GUI.
- Before PBJ asks, Gauntlet Legends still won't run at 100% on any RasPi.   :duckhunt

Scott

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 06:42:07 pm »
- Before PBJ asks, Gauntlet Legends still won't run at 100% on any RasPi.   :duckhunt

Scott

:laugh2:

bbegin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:23:14 pm
  • Arcade games enthusiast, bartop arcade project WIP
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 10:59:22 pm »
- For some newer games you might need to upgrade to a RasPi 4 or 4B.
- Depending on the price difference, it might be worth upgrading to a 4 or 4B, especially if you want to use bbegin's "dedicated MAME Appliance" image here.  You should be able to modify the startup sequence so it boots to the dedicated game instead of the (default) MAME GUI.

Scott

As Scott mentions, the image I propose has (now) a functionality I call AutoROM, wich is to automatically start a specific rom at startup. Ideal for a dedicated game/cabinet.
Personal project:
How to make a dedicated MAME Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400
https://gist.github.com/sonicprod/f5a7bb10fb9ed1cc5124766831e120c4

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 01:49:16 am »
Any good front end will run a specific game (or the last played, or a random one) on startup. There's nothing special on this feature in my experience

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 07:21:07 pm »
Any good front end will run a specific game (or the last played, or a random one) on startup. There's nothing special on this feature in my experience

That's correct, it's basic functionality of a frontend.

The only difference is the image I provide does'nt need any frontend to implement this functionality.
Personal project:

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 03:03:02 am »
With only one game you can also launch it on startup with a basic autoit script, or even a two lines .cmd file. It's not a special feature, if you ask me.
Considering how fast a SSD drive loads a win OS, how cheap older PC's nowadays are, how easy it is to have any feature one want, adopting a standard PC for any arcade project is a no brainer for me

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 12:05:23 am »
With only one game you can also launch it on startup with a basic autoit script, or even a two lines .cmd file. It's not a special feature, if you ask me.
Considering how fast a SSD drive loads a win OS, how cheap older PC's nowadays are, how easy it is to have any feature one want, adopting a standard PC for any arcade project is a no brainer for me

The problem with Windows is that you have to make quite a lot of tweaks before getting a stable, performant and resource-efficient emulation operating system. Otherwise, you're bugged and annoyed with Windows Updates not installed, Explorer that becomes a resource hog, plus a lot of processes running (and consuming resources) with no real utility.

This solution is using only the bare minimum of components and has no GUI/window manager. It's basically text mode + emulation (using SDL). It's really simple to change to automatic boot ROM (MAME or Hypseus-Singe). No .cmd/.sh file to edit. The solution is in read-only mode on the flash storage media, except for a read/write partition for persistence, but with an adapted filesystem (F2FS).
Personal project:

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 08:06:53 am »
With 3+ Ghz multi core processors you have not to care about unwanted background processes. Leave them running, you have enought CPU and RAM not to notice them.
I have recently updated my mamecab with a 60 euros PC and win10: took me a couple of hours to have the latest groovymame up and running on the CRT and some unwanted OS service disabled. Turns on in 30 seconds and turns off in 3 thanks to the  SSD.
Considering how limited a raspy is in terms of performances and tweakability (if you don't know how to use it) there are no real advantages in adopting one for arcade projects (at least as far as dimensions are not a problem).
I obviously can see the fun in building up a personal distro: I am a tinkerer too, but honestly would not recommend it to anyone.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 07:49:17 am by baritonomarchetto »

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 07:01:01 pm »
With 3+ Ghz multi core processors you have not to care about unwanted background processes. Leave them running, you have enought CPU and RAM not to notice them.
I have recently updated my mamecab with a 60 euros PC and win10: took me a couple of hours to have the latest groovymame up and running on the CRT and some unwanted OS service disabled. Turns on in 15 seconds and turns off in 3 thanks to the  SSD.
Considering how limited a raspy is in terms of performances and tweakability (if you don't know how to use it) there are no real advantages in adopting one for arcade projects (at least as far as dimensions are not a problem).
I obviously can see the fun in building up a personal distro: I am a tinkerer too, but honestly would not recommend it to anyone.

You do whatever you do, but I think this sub-forum section is about Raspberry Pi's. In my case, a Raspberry Pi 4 was the best solution for a tabletop barcade cabinet, where the available space is tight. Add the cheap price of the Raspberry Pi 4 all-in-one credit card size computer, plus, the possibilities offered by the GPIO ports (I use a rotary encoder to control the volume digitally), and you get  a pretty neat solution. The image I provide will get almost anybody started very quickly.
Personal project:

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 03:25:41 am »
Even if the subforum is about raspy this doesn't mean I cannot share my personal experience. I was trying to answer to the topic main question: "yes, Raspberry pi can be an option for a single game cabinet, especially thanks to the work of nice people sharing their softwares/findings. In my experience there are better options though"
 :)