Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaga Countercade modification  (Read 1260 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Galaga Countercade modification
« on: November 06, 2022, 06:55:16 pm »
In 2007, I made this bartop:

It was 20" high, used a 10" CRT, and a 4 way WICO. It was a lot of fun. I gave it to a family member, and when the Arcade1up's came out, I decided to modify one to replace this bartop.

This is a gen1 Countercade. It's 18" tall. I went with a gen1, because it was big enough to fit a 12" LCD monitor.

Here it is cleaned up

The cool thing with the 12" monitor, is it's a perfect fit simply by adding a 1x2

Decased monitor mounted. I was able to tilt it back a bit more than stock.

giving it all a test before putting it back together

Inside is pretty clean. I used a King of Air 2. I really like the board, but it has a super annoying feature when it boots up. It makes a "SHICK" sound as it scrolls through the game list in attract mode. It can't be disabled. It does a better job of emulation than the 60-n-1. This is running schmups (which I don't have a lot of experience with) 2 way shooters and other 8 way vertical games. All other games have been disabled

Here she is all put together. I even covered the bolt holes

Sitting in front of an original Galaga cabinet for scale

I used some lightly lit LED Player 1 and 2 buttons.

All said and done, this was super easy compared to my original Galaga bartop. I really like the machine. It's fun. It definitely is light weight and can move during rough play. This cabinet will sit in my home office.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 07:04:57 pm by leapinlew »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Galaga Countercade modification
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 07:08:52 pm »
This was a fun little build and was very fast. I thought I'd share, in case anyone wants to do something similar.

The cabinet is a gen1 Galaga cabinet. A gen1 Dig Dug or Space invaders would also work.
The monitor is a 12" LCD point of sale monitor from IBM. Model 4820. It has "decent" viewing angles. I'm happy with it.
The power supply is a 5v,12v,24v power supply and I'm using the 24v to power the monitor, the 12v to power the marquee and the all-in-one, and the 5v to power the LED buttons