Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hardware recommendations for jukebox build  (Read 1385 times)

theredlineboss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 12:00:45 pm
Hardware recommendations for jukebox build
« on: November 03, 2022, 11:13:29 pm »
I picked up an old Crosley console radio hopefully for a jukebox build.  This particular one has a couple of features I like - it looks pretty dang good from the front, but it has already been irreversibly modified (a prior owner saw fit to chop about four inches off the back).  While it's not really suited for a restoration (though I believe it does work), it should make a good base for this after I smooth out the cuts and add some needed reinforcement.

The hard part for me is with the hardware.  I've built / repaired many PCs over the years, but haven't done much with audio.  So, my main idea is to use a single large speaker (as is its original setup), put a 10" touchscreen where the radio controls currently reside, and power it with a Raspberry PI.  After that point, I really am not sure what hardware I should be seeking out.  I see RPI HATs which give the ability to connect to speakers, but they appear to be intended for smaller speakers.

So, would anyone happen to have any hardware suggestions for a build like this? 

-Rob
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 11:19:38 pm by theredlineboss »

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Hardware recommendations for jukebox build
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 12:13:59 pm »
A simple and super useful audio /is to use an Amazon Echo Studio speaker.  It has the power, the fidelity, and you end up with a great smart speaker in addition to the jukebox.  It can be used with its 1/8" phono plug input or via bluetooth.  Or both...

I have one in my 1947 Stewart Warner hi-fi that I use as the output for the wall jukebox/TV that I built.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:04:36 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 12:10:57 am »
ikea has some pretty good bluetooth speakers called "Symfonisk" word around the campfire is they are a collab product with Sonos... and are basically a Sonos One SL rebrand.

its your unit, but i don't know if you really want to go the touchscreen route with this... IMO a touch screen is going to look REALLY out of place on it and there doesn't seem to be a real good place to put one on there.

10" is going to be way too small both in information to be displayed and the resolution available. basically hold an Ipad mini up there... then imagine the resolution being HALF that. That is what you are going to get with a PC running juke software. honestly 17 inches is a bare minimum and 19" being pretty okay... and i can't really see either of those shoehorned into that cabinet unless you built a display tumor or something on the top... but that is a whole 'nother ball of wax, involving color matching wood and build style... way to much for a first kick at the cat.

now that i've thought more about it... honestly an iPad isn't necessarily a bad idea here. a sliding docking station would make it so you could just slide your ipad in there and it would output from the cabinet. throw spotify on there and be done with it.

no relation, just a fan... but "soundman" (soundman.co) makes some stupid expensive kits for ipads for car installation but if you look at a few of his videos on youtube, you can get the idea of how to integrate it and how he builds some out of a few sheets of 1/4" material... it would be easy enough to make with some proper measurements.

theredlineboss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 12:00:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 07:29:33 am »
Thanks to both of you for your input.  I already happen to have a project using an Echo (screenshot of the 3d model attached), so this Crosley is destined to be an RPI project.  Hence, any suggestions about the type of HAT, speaker, etc. I should be use would be greatly appreciated.

Now, aside from the repairs/reinforcement, the changes I'm making to the cabinet will be reversible (i.e., I am not cutting a big hole in the front).  The internals will be saved and if I decide that the RPI will work better in something else, I'll reinstall the original chassis/speaker.  Since I already have an AM radio I'm restoring (Philco 38), I do hope to have success here.

-Rob
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:08:55 am by theredlineboss »