Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tall Steering Wheel Stand / Do They Exist? If not, suggestions for alternative.  (Read 2493 times)

peejaygee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:58:00 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hey Guys, So just completed my mame-cade and I have a Tankstick for my main controls, have stuff working with the trackball, fitted my light-gun and it got me thinking about using my Thurstmaser TMX I already own and use on my PC. (and with Xmas just around the corner, wifey has been asking me what I want)

All the stands/mounts I seem to find on places like Amazon, seem to have a max height of 30 inches, which is great for sitting down at my PC, but not standing up in front of my cabinet. I'd like to be able to move/use the steering wheel intermittently, hence not looking for a permanent fixture.

I was thinking of the games like Outrun, Chase HQ, Roadblasters and similar games (Championship Sprint, I'd use my trackball) but I'm unable to locate a 'tall' steering wheel stand.

Do cost effective tall steering wheel stands exist?

If they don't exist, anybody got any solutions for what I 'could' use, knowing the TMX has a clamp on the bottom to attach to something and put in front of the cabinet, to use now and again.

Thanks for your time.
Regards
PJ

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
hmm, a keyboard stand (musical keyboard, not computer keyboard) might suit. You can get the legs/frame, and mount a board on top of that to clamp the TM to.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
2x4s, can make any size frame, with relative ease...

But, if you dont mind spending the money.. maybe buy one of those 6ft tall, Wire-Metal Shelving Units.

They come with 4 large wheels, two of which can lock in place.
 You can place the shelves at whatever height you desire.
 And if you desire, you could cut the tubes down to a specific size, pretty easily.

When you are finished playing, you can wheel it away.

peejaygee

• Offline Offline
hmm, a keyboard stand (musical keyboard, not computer keyboard) might suit. You can get the legs/frame, and mount a board on top of that to clamp the TM to.

Nice, never thought of that, thank you. I've searched Amazon and there is a decent one that goes up to 40 inches, that 'could' work. :)

peejaygee

• Offline Offline

But, if you dont mind spending the money.. maybe buy one of those 6ft tall, Wire-Metal Shelving Units.

And if you desire, you could cut the tubes down to a specific size, pretty easily.

Hmmm, interesting. I tried searching Amazon and I was unable to locate something along those lines.

With you being rather specific on the 'specs' I don't suppose you could provide a link (if it was Amazon) or even the number to the right of the dp in the amazon URL?

with it being Shelves, it could also double for holding other stuff. :)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:01:12 am
Just get any old shelves, you might even find something locally, like in a second-hand store or something. Get something wood if you can.

Buy some rollers/casters/wheels and screw them onto the bottom.

Put something heavy, books whatever, on the bottom shelves to make it more stable.
Check out my completed projects!

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM

Hmmm, interesting. I tried searching Amazon and I was unable to locate something along those lines.

With you being rather specific on the 'specs' I don't suppose you could provide a link (if it was Amazon) or even the number to the right of the dp in the amazon URL?

with it being Shelves, it could also double for holding other stuff. :)

Ehh?  You can find adjustable wire-rack shelving all over the place.   Example:

https://www.amazon.com/NiamVelo-Shelving-Adjustable-Capacity-Multifunctional/dp/B0BC623RVN/ref=sr_1_6?crid=HNWOFDXAG14P&keywords=metal+shelving&qid=1667660508&refinements=p_n_feature_seventeen_browse-bin%3A24677260011&rnid=24676567011&s=storageorganization&sprefix=metal+shelving%2Caps%2C152&sr=1-6

These have a locking plastic part, that allows the shelves to be placed at any height.

If you do not need a shelf that tall,  they also make smaller sizes.

Some of the smaller ones do not have the Caster wheels.. but I believe you can buy the casters separately.  The diameter
of the tubing, and the plastic locks, are pretty much a standard.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
Just get any old shelves, you might even find something locally, like in a second-hand store or something. Get something wood if you can.

Buy some rollers/casters/wheels and screw them onto the bottom.

Put something heavy, books whatever, on the bottom shelves to make it more stable.

Most wood based shelving units that are out there... are made of thin press-board, and are not designed to hold
up to any side-to-side motions... let alone any other rough movements.  They will literally break apart.

Its its a "Solid Wood" unit, then that will be far more sturdy.  That said, those are more rare, and are often book-shelving, that
do not have adjustable shelves.   If they Do have adjustable shelves... they are only held in place with little peg holders, and
again, they are not made to be moved around (they would be unstable, unless you glued and screwed them into place).

The other good thing about the Metal units, is that they are indestructible.. and you can break them apart if needed,
and re-use them for other things, in different configurations.  You could even stand on them, jump up and down...etc..
and they wont suffer any issues.  (other then the potential for the plastic locks getting compressed too much.. and getting Stuck)

The pressboard wood shelving units tend to end breaking apart, and or Chipping.  The white coating is also often scratched up.

The only other Shelving out there, is the plastic stuff... and while some can be strong... they are also not adjustable in shelf height...
unless you count cutting the tubes as "adjustable".  The plastic shelves also tend to have a bottom that cant be clamped, due to the
hollow support framework, that its made up of.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Those metal shelving units you linked look as flimsy as a house of cards. Any kind of play and they will become wobbly and creaky. All that tubing will bend and the joins will constantly get loose. It will be noisy. And, OMG :o they cost a massive $165!!!!

Suggest looking in second hand stores or even waste recycling sellers, because you are more likely to find some wood shelving that is more solidly built. Stay away from the "thin press board" kind you were talking about. Or maybe something else that will suit, people chuck all kinds of useful stuff.

Probably won't find much decent/suitable furniture online, mostly it will all be flimsy, light, assemble yourself stuff. Best you can hope for is something like Ikea.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 07:14:45 pm by Zebidee »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
Those metal shelving units you linked look as flimsy as a house of cards. Any kind of play and they will become wobbly and creaky. All that tubing will bend and the joins will constantly get loose. It will be noisy. And, OMG :o they cost a massive $165!!!!

Suggest looking in second hand stores or even waste recycling sellers, because you are more likely to find some wood shelving that is more solidly built. Stay away from the "thin press board" kind you were talking about. Or maybe something else that will suit, people chuck all kinds of useful stuff.

Probably won't find much decent/suitable furniture online, mostly it will all be flimsy, light, assemble yourself stuff. Best you can hope for is something like Ikea.

LOL !!!   Dude...  I OWN one of these shelves.  They are Indestructable, and built like a TANK !!!

They basically originated, for use in the Restaurant industry.   At least, that is where Id seem them, AGES before seeing them for sale in
stores.

Look at the damn weight specs, for Heavens sake!   Some of them can hold 1000 lbs for EACH SHELF !!!   (On that particular model, thats
six shelves.. or 6000 lbs. !!!)

I Guarantee that you wont find a wooden shelf, capable of a 6000 lb rating!
(Unless its made by the Amish, and weighs about 10,000 lbs...  via Bowling-Alley thick Slabs of wood)

All of that said, there are two kinds of metal pole shelving.   The standard, has poles that are about 1" diameter.
There  are smaller units, that use poles that are much smaller in diameter, and thus, are nowhere near as strong.  Its not that hard to
tell the size and scale of these units.

And the metal shelving itself, doesnt bend / flex... even when standing on them.  They are Rigid, and strong AF.
They use an I-Beam like support system, and thick diameter metal wire, welded together.

As for Noise... they dont Flex, as long as you have properly assembled it (use a rubber mallet for best results. A hammer works, but
will give some scratches).   The only way you will get noise out of them.. is by bashing a metal bar into them... or running you fingers
along the metal shelfs thinner spines... like a guitar.   Other that that, you wont hear a peep out of them.

Not only that.. but the entire thing will be lighter, and easier to move.. than a wooden unit.
As said, wood shelving units are Not designed for Movement, at all.   Especially when under-load.
You only get the needed strength, from thick wood, and strong joints, such as using 2x4 framework.  Thats not the same as a
piece of Fine Furniture.. that is designed for good looks... not for hurricane level strength.

I swear...  every post that Ive read from you... lacks any depth of Common Sense.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 07:11:41 am by Xiaou2 »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
I swear...  every post that Ive read from you... lacks any depth of Common Sense.

Funny, because I feel the same way about you.

Look, if those shelves cost $165, maybe they are as tough as you say.

I'm sure that there are cheaper options.

Me, I'd probably just build something out of hardwood, I have plenty.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz

hah!

I have a set of $250 modular metal shelves from Bunnings that are rock solid - once anchored to the wall. I had to reinforce them even then. They may be stable when they go up, but what about if you stood there for 20 mins and wobbled them back and forth trying to loosen them? And building out of wood will just make them heavy. The OP wants something more mobile, i would imagine.

I vote for the musical keyboard stand, whoever suggested that first is right on the money ;P

Something like this one - the other half has one for a her cutting-out table in her sewing room.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Neewer-Adjustable-25-5-37-5-Centimeters-Electronic/dp/B07DWPFLL7/ref=sr_1_13?crid=28ZPUKXY1VXAI&keywords=keyboard+stand+musical&qid=1667777565&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=meyboard+stand+musical%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-13

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
I vote for the musical keyboard stand, whoever suggested that first is right on the money ;P

Got to agree. Looks better despite being cheaper, should be sturdy enough, won't creak and rattle. Adjustable height is a big plus.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM

hah!

I have a set of $250 modular metal shelves from Bunnings that are rock solid - once anchored to the wall. I had to reinforce them even then. They may be stable when they go up, but what about if you stood there for 20 mins and wobbled them back and forth trying to loosen them? And building out of wood will just make them heavy. The OP wants something more mobile, i would imagine.

Something like this one - the other half has one for a her cutting-out table in her sewing room.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Neewer-Adjustable-25-5-37-5-Centimeters-Electronic/dp/B07DWPFLL7/ref=sr_1_13?crid=28ZPUKXY1VXAI&keywords=keyboard+stand+musical&qid=1667777565&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=meyboard+stand+musical%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-13

That KB stands max width, is 3' 3" (edge to edge external width).  Two large men sitting next to each other, may find that very tight.
The max height is even shorter... so you would still need to increase the height, maybe a foot higher... if you wanted to use it to stand up with.

As for what you said about your Shelving unit... You are talking apples to oranges.  If its a flat framework shelving unit, its constructed very
different to these Restaurant quality shelving units.

Restaurant shelving units are designed to be moved, while fully loaded... because you need to be able to clean under/behind them.
Which is also why they use such large and beefy wheels.

I worked at a Pizza Hut, in my early years... and every shelf was the same metal-wire units, that Ive posted.  Id wheel them forwards, to clean
behind them, despite them being fully loaded with huge cans of tomato sauce, and monster sized packages of flour.  They dont come loose.
They dont creak, wiggle, wobble.   They are Literally Indestructible... hence their high cost.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
I thought OP wanted a stand for a single wheel?

They dont creak, wiggle, wobble.   They are Literally Indestructible... hence their high cost.
I worked at Domino's myself, and yes, i know the racks you are talking about. I'm going to guess at this point that you're in the US? For $160 you wouldn't get much here, we pay an "Australia Tax" on everything imported :)

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
There is one fact about those shelves that nobody has mentioned yet, but few will deny - they are as UGLY AS SIN.

I'm absolutely certain that keyboard stands suitable for adult standing height are available, as I've seen musicians using them. If you want two adults to play at the same time, get two stands.

Which brings me to an important point for driving games - they don't work so well if you are standing. This comes from someone that has actually tried this. Ever driven a car while standing up? No, didn't think so. In particular it makes using the pedals very weird/awkward.

See cabs in my sig, number #9 (canary yellow, third from right). It is a standing cab with a steering wheel and pedals on the floor. It worked OK but I didn't get into it much, all the issues I noted above, eventually sold it to someone.

For a driving games setup, you're honestly probably better off just using some more modern LCD screens and setting yourself up at a desk with a comfy chair. Bolt the wheel onto the desk and away you go.

On a side note, I also worked in a pizza place for about one week, just so I could say that I had. And there you go, I just said it. Anyway, working at pizza place sucked, I went and got a better job.

peteclarkez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 04:04:40 pm
I'd suggest 2 Ikea Lack side tables (£10 each in the UK)
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lack-side-table-black-20011408/#content

I've used them for a holding a bartop cabinet and they are great.
To fix them together I used a bit of sandpaper on the glossy top and simply applied "No More Nails". The 2 tables are still firmly fixed after 4+ years and lots of moving about. They are a good size for moving around and sticking in a corner.

The only thing I would say is that they are very light, so for a steering wheel it might be worth fixing a sheet of something to the bottom and attach peddles to that and then you can use your weight to keep it in place when you are playing.
-------------------------------------
Got Virtua Racing Twin Cab, 3 Converted Noraut Pokers, Self Build Bartop, Self build control Panel

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
I'm absolutely certain that keyboard stands suitable for adult standing height are available, as I've seen musicians using them.

Try finding one at standing height, that is also height adjustable.

If you want two adults to play at the same time, get two stands.

A Keyboard stand is about 3ft wide.  Two would be 6ft wide.  Thats not optimal for a typical 2 players setup, and then
you also have two units to wheel away and store.

Which brings me to an important point for driving games - they don't work so well if you are standing. This comes from someone that has actually tried this. Ever driven a car while standing up? No, didn't think so. In particular it makes using the pedals very weird/awkward.

Uhh, a LOT of the Arcade driving games, were Standup units.  I grew up playing the Standup versions of  OutRun,  Spy Hunter,  Sega's Turbo,
Pole Position,  Super Monaco GP Mini,  Continental Circus 3D (stereoscopic 3d versions),  Taito Chase HQ,  Turbo Outrun,  3 Player Super Sprint,
3 Player Off-Road,  Power Drift,  and probably several others that I cant recall at the moment.

Its not that hard to play these game with a single foot.  You keep the majority of your weight over one legs hip, which allows you to
easily control the gas pedal.  And if you need the brake, you just slide your gas foot over to the brake.

Where things get Dicey, is a game like Hard Drivin / Race Drivin... where you have a Clutch Pedal.

That said... All racing games feel much more comfortable, when sitting down.

I worked at Domino's myself, and yes, i know the racks you are talking about. I'm going to guess at this point that you're in the US? For $160 you wouldn't get much here, we pay an "Australia Tax" on everything imported

I worked at a Pizza Hut for nearly 3 yrs,  from ages 16 to 19,  at a very busy Tourist area, about 300 ft away from the beach, in Florida.
It was a living Hell.   Lines out of the door, wrapped around the building... with an Hour wait, just to be seated.

We used so much Oil and Cooking Spray.. that it would clog up the Kitchen air conditioner, every few weeks... making the kitchen
about 110 degrees F.   They had Two 500 degree ovens stacked on top of each other, with a conveyor system.  There were so many
Pizzas on it, that if you were not constantly removing and cutting the pizzas that came out the other end.. then pizzas would fall off
the edge of the Oven... or would cause the other Pizzas in the oven, to Burn.  It was so hot... that sweat was pouring down my face,
and some would end up dripping on the Pizzas, as I was cutting them... and there was literally nothing I could do about it.

People didnt seem to care, and Im sure they saw it.  They were tired, hungry as bears, angered at how long things were taking,
upset from mistakes in orders, and or had to wait even longer..  due to a Pizza that fell on the floor.

I used to pull a 4pm to 3am shift,  7 days a week.  I believe the store closed at 12... but the amount of dishes, cleaning, prep,
encrusted pan scrubbing, and more... took forever.    The place was so busy, that I never got to take my 1 week
annual vacation time (I took the pay instead).

That said.. I got so much overtime,  that I was able to buy a brand new Amiga 500 PC, a Pioneer 5.1 Surround sound amp,
and a Laser-Disc player.   =]    I think I was only making between like  $5.15 to $5.25 per hour.   I probably did a lot of damage
to my circulation system... eating that crap.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
hahaha, totallay off topic, but my worst memory is mincing onions in a food processor those months when we were cutting our own fresh veg. No one else could come within about 10 metres due to the tear-gas cloud. You'd be wearing swimming goggles that would instantly fog up in the humidity, but your hands are covered in onion puree so you can't touch them. Had duck out the front every two mins to find someone to wipe and reseat the goggles, take a few deep, onion-free breaths, then dive back in for more. Try going out to a bar after that :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 09:31:23 pm by buttersoft »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Hahaha Butters, that story nearly made me cry just imagining the toxic cloud around you! Swim goggles? They should have given you a full hazmat suit. Hope they paid you well :D

I used to do deliveries, own car, own fuel, paid by delivery, not by the hour. One of the reasons I quit was the boss-lady telling me that if I wasn't busy doing deliveries then I was expected to help in the kitchen. Even though I like to help, this made no sense whatsoever because I got no pay to do that. If the kitchen was busy, which it usually was, I'd be busy doing deliveries. The only time I'd not be busy doing deliveries was when the kitchen was also quiet.

All that, and chopping up onions for free is a mugs' game, abuse of worker's rights, wage theft, exploitation. So I made up a story and quit. Went on to become an industrial relations specialist instead   :laugh2:

peejaygee

• Offline Offline
So, I ended up going for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T3V4JBB

I took a chance on the description and pictures, and it turned out quite well. For the amount of times, I'll actually play a racing game with the wheel, it's sturdy enough, tall enough and dismantles quick enough to shove under the spare bed when not in use.

Thanks for the tips, ideas and direction guys.
Happy Bunny again, only a few more things to tweak/fix on my cabinet, and I'll be content.

Thanks and Regards
PJ

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Good choice  :cheers:

lord_raiden_128

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 07:44:59 am
Made my own a few years back by.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Made my own a few years back by.

Nice. Does the job.