Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suitable Replacement for Daytona Delux USA 2 projection monitor  (Read 3598 times)

Hydrolisk1792

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2023, 08:02:38 pm
  • Custom Cabinets and Games FTW!
Suitable Replacement for Daytona Delux USA 2 projection monitor
« on: October 31, 2022, 11:47:35 am »
So I have 4 Daytona cabinets that used the 50 inch projection TVs.  I saw a post on here a while back about someone using a projector to replace these TVs.  The forum has gone cold and I am trying to sort out what was done to modify the projector to fill the screen.  Here is the post where I seen the mod:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=161415.0
I have sorted out that the projector is an InFocus 1N112 projector.  However, I ran out and grabbed up 4 of them and I can't seem to make it fill the screen.  It only fills  about 52% of the total screen.  Upon further and closer inspection of the projector picture, there is another lens in front of OP's projector...  I cannot seem to get ahold of the OP at all, so I'm reaching out here.  Does anyone know what lens OP used or what was done to get such a beautiful picture on OP's cabinet?  Thanks.  Furthermore I am new to these forums so please feel free to let me know if this is in the right section, thanks.
Hardware Guy: It is a software problem!
Software Guy: It is a hardware problem!
Me: Hold My Beer!

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
Re: Suitable Replacement for Daytona Delux USA 2 projection monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 04:11:34 pm »
Any one out there with any information?  :notworthy:

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 05:59:55 pm »
Can't help you myself, but over the years i've seen a few ppl on AussieArcade.com talking about RP and driving games. The right ppl might be gone now, but you could give it a shot.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 07:49:19 pm »
Can't help you myself, but over the years i've seen a few ppl on AussieArcade.com talking about RP and driving games. The right ppl might be gone now, but you could give it a shot.

Thank you for the information, I'm going to look into it right now.  Hope I can find some information on the conversion because I need these machines in working order for a show that is coming up at the end of the year.  Much appreciated.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 08:23:59 pm »
I just scoured those forums and found very little to what I'm attempting to do.  Most of the posts are about just sticking a LCD TV in it.  I don't really want to do that because I'm trying to go with the original look from the outside of the cabinets.  I know this  can be done because someone else on here which I already linked in the OP has done it.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 08:26:05 pm »
Sorry, i didn't mean to imply you're going to find what you're attempting to do all laid out. I meant to say you should try asking on there. As i mentioned, there have been guys playing with RP on there through the years, and some talk of lenses (if only the fresnel, but still lenses).

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 08:44:18 pm »
Sorry, i didn't mean to imply you're going to find what you're attempting to do all laid out. I meant to say you should try asking on there. As i mentioned, there have been guys playing with RP on there through the years, and some talk of lenses (if only the fresnel, but still lenses).

I'm sorry, I know that you are trying yo help :)  I really appreciate you trying.  There is a lot of other great  knowledge on there maybe for some of my other machines, so no loss there either.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 11:13:15 am »
No hits on here or the other forums yet on this matter.  I keep trying to make this work though.  I'm going to try to take apart the old projection screen lenses and see if maybe that will work to make the image fill the screen in the mean time.  Any help is appreciated at this point.  Remember I have the InFocus 1n114 model projectors just like OP has.  I want to get this done for two reasons, one for my client, and two so I can document the process on here so others won't have to hack up their cabinets to get a modern display to fit and still have the original look :)  I am all about preserving the original look and function of machines that I remember dumping a lot of quarters into at the arcade LOL.  After this whole screen thing is taken care of it is going to be time to do all the recapping and all the mechanics, fun fun!  I have also had issues with my pedal assemblies, found out it was the nylon gear mounted on the pedals that was flattening out.  Need to find replacements or just have a machine shop whip me up some out of brass :)

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 11:38:45 am »
No other bites on this yet?   :notworthy:

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 12:23:48 pm »
i'm not entirely sure there is an additional lens on that projector, i think it's just adjusted to a point where an internal lens is more visible. you couldn't just throw another one on there willy-nilly and not have a whole pile of correction you'd have to try and do to fix the image. adding a lens would create a bunch of distortion that no amount of OSD controls in the world would fix.

i havent really looked into the thread much, but I suspect the original poster of that project may have either had a adapter board (like a GBS8000) and has forced a certain resolution to the projector...  but looks more like he is using a computer instead of the original game hardware and could simply force a resolution anyway.

since i figure by the sounds of things, you might be using original hardware... you havent mentioned... but i think about the only thing i could suggest is to see if you could find a setting in the projector to force a 4:3 image and then adjust the zoom and whatnot to fill the area... or find some kind of upscaler board to convert your signal (like the GBS8000)

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 03:54:47 pm »
i'm not entirely sure there is an additional lens on that projector, i think it's just adjusted to a point where an internal lens is more visible. you couldn't just throw another one on there willy-nilly and not have a whole pile of correction you'd have to try and do to fix the image. adding a lens would create a bunch of distortion that no amount of OSD controls in the world would fix.

i havent really looked into the thread much, but I suspect the original poster of that project may have either had a adapter board (like a GBS8000) and has forced a certain resolution to the projector...  but looks more like he is using a computer instead of the original game hardware and could simply force a resolution anyway.

since i figure by the sounds of things, you might be using original hardware... you havent mentioned... but i think about the only thing i could suggest is to see if you could find a setting in the projector to force a 4:3 image and then adjust the zoom and whatnot to fill the area... or find some kind of upscaler board to convert your signal (like the GBS8000)

Okay, I can try some boards.  Yeah, sorry about that, I am using original hardware.

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2023, 03:41:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 09:54:55 pm »
I am right here with you, I'm working two sega rally 2 dlx with rear projection. Im about at your stage. got the display running on a projector today in 4:3 ratio. I hope to gut the crt projection stuff soon and start playing with it. Ill take pics and update as i find time to work on them. More to follow.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 11:33:33 am »
I am right here with you, I'm working two sega rally 2 dlx with rear projection. Im about at your stage. got the display running on a projector today in 4:3 ratio. I hope to gut the crt projection stuff soon and start playing with it. Ill take pics and update as i find time to work on them. More to follow.

Okay.  Will be here doing the same thing.  I think I'm going to mess around with them a bit today to see what I can find out with what I already have here at my shop.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 05:36:38 pm »
Here is what my issues are:

As you can tell I cannot zoom the image in any more than it already is.  Just like on the other forum, I have the same projector as them and have it hooked up the same way and mounted the same way.  I am missing something here to make it fill the whole screen like they have and I don't know what it is.  This is driving me insane  :banghead:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 05:43:27 pm by Hydrolisk1792 »

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 08:29:06 pm »
Okay, so I took a break and came back to it and realized that it is a modification lens kit you can get for the projector.  Downside is that it is coming from china :( and will take forever to get here.  Here is the link to the ebay auction https://www.ebay.com/itm/164440723663  I will have some on order here soon and see if I can get shorter shipping times on this to get to Vegas.  Will let y'all know

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 10:20:40 am »
huh, what do ya know! i didn't know such a thing was even an option! anytime i've ever seen a "short throw" projector... its a specific machine you buy for your specific application. i didn't even consider there to be a kit you could buy to just convert it. it would make sense that you would have to swap out the entire lens element to make it work, and my initial thought about just "adding" a lens was basically correct.

learn something new every day! i'm sure it will come in handy one day.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 11:48:54 am »
huh, what do ya know! i didn't know such a thing was even an option! anytime i've ever seen a "short throw" projector... its a specific machine you buy for your specific application. i didn't even consider there to be a kit you could buy to just convert it. it would make sense that you would have to swap out the entire lens element to make it work, and my initial thought about just "adding" a lens was basically correct.

learn something new every day! i'm sure it will come in handy one day.

Yeah it was really hard to find as well!  Glad I can contribute to the forums a bit.  :)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 12:45:48 pm »
out of curiosity, i looked a little more into these infocus projectors. seems infocus released 2 versions of your machine... the IN112 and the IN112ST (ST being "short throw" version with the aforementioned lens)

i noticed at the time there was a shift in their offerings... (probably from complaints in their corporate sector about having to have 10 some odd feet of space from the projection surface) and a huge pile of their projectors became available in short throw versions. IN112, IN114, IN124, IN126 all released in "ST" versions IN112ST, IN114ST, IN124ST, IN126ST versions...so on.

so by the looks of things, you did get the same projector as the OP post...just the "regular" version of the lens assembly. luckily you have been able to source a replacement "ST" assembly.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 03:55:45 pm »
out of curiosity, i looked a little more into these infocus projectors. seems infocus released 2 versions of your machine... the IN112 and the IN112ST (ST being "short throw" version with the aforementioned lens)

i noticed at the time there was a shift in their offerings... (probably from complaints in their corporate sector about having to have 10 some odd feet of space from the projection surface) and a huge pile of their projectors became available in short throw versions. IN112, IN114, IN124, IN126 all released in "ST" versions IN112ST, IN114ST, IN124ST, IN126ST versions...so on.

so by the looks of things, you did get the same projector as the OP post...just the "regular" version of the lens assembly. luckily you have been able to source a replacement "ST" assembly.

Oh nice, that is some good information.  So that means that the lenses that I ordered should be some drop in replacements for the machines that I have.  Looks like the same bolt pattern as the original lenses.  In my opinion, as a manufacture, to remedy a problem like they were having, I would have done the same thing and just made a replacement lens assembly that just bolts right up to the original machine and just change the label at the bottom of the machine.  Seems like a very cost effective approach.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 07:54:38 pm »
So I literally just turned my normal InFocus projector in to a short throw with the lenses I linked in above!!  These will work out nicely!!  Will make some more posts once installed inside one of my cabinets.  FYI, the lenses made the picture 50 percent larger than before from the same distance away.   :burgerking:

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2022, 11:58:03 am »
So it is a bit fiddly to get it to fit right inside the cabinet at the perfect angle but I managed to get it going with a small black bar at the bottom.  Which when you are sitting in the seat, isn't noticeable at all.  I think the OP did use the IN112 model and not the IN114 which is what I have because the 112 uses 400x600 natively.  Mine I have to force 4:3 so yeah. . . :lame:

It works for what I need it for so it is what it is at this point.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2022, 03:55:29 pm »
Glad to hear you were able to get it working!

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 09:50:33 pm »
So, I picked up a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection for 15 bucks working, I'm going to try and see if I can either swap parts as a whole or the tubes. It's just really cold here and makes messing with it a pain. I was going to move everything to the basement to start the project but the snow made that objective unobtainable. If the parts swap doent work out I have to explain to the wife why I have to keep the tv for retro gaming. Should be fun. Do you have a final pic on how the projection came out? And those lens are expensive.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2022, 01:58:55 pm »
So, I picked up a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection for 15 bucks working, I'm going to try and see if I can either swap parts as a whole or the tubes. It's just really cold here and makes messing with it a pain. I was going to move everything to the basement to start the project but the snow made that objective unobtainable. If the parts swap doent work out I have to explain to the wife why I have to keep the tv for retro gaming. Should be fun. Do you have a final pic on how the projection came out? And those lens are expensive.

I can post a picture when I'm finished mounting one of them inside the cabinets.  Yeah, the lenses are a bit expensive but the total cost of one of the lenses and the projector was around 250 shipped.  That is a small drop in the bucket compared to getting all four cabinets for free.  So basically 1000 bucks to get all four of my cabinets working?  I'd say that is a good deal.  Considering I rent these out for events as well, the clients basically pay for it at the end of the day.  Furthermore, one of my cars is mechanically in bad shape, so that should also be fun to tackle.  I already ordered up 4 sets of the pedal gears as well because I noticed in one of the cars, the pedals didn't work at all so I opened them up for a look and noticed that they were sheered off...  Fun Fun.  :P

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 08:09:30 am »
I attempted to repair the original hardware with no luck. I purchased in114st and they are on the way and should be here next week. Would love to see some picture how you mounted yours. Did you make an adjustable mount or fixed mount? How did the image turnout? Also do you know what voltage is coming out of your large iso transformer? I had 80v on pink wire. I double checked the input voltage and it is good, no voltage drop out of the relay. both of my machines read 80 volt on pink(main voltage out of transformer.)

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2023, 05:32:24 pm »
I figured out the voltage I was measuring to ground outside of the isolation.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2023, 10:06:22 pm »
I figured out the voltage I was measuring to ground outside of the isolation.

I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow as they are still down on the ground by my work shop area.  I can measure the transformer as well if you'd like, but it looks like you may have sorted that out just fine.

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2023, 07:58:14 pm »
Got lucky and found a second in114st both should be here by this weekend. More to follow, when you said you had to force the resolution, did you have to do it manually once through pc link? or in the menu? do you have to set the resolution every startup when you move the machines? either way I got both in114st's for the price of the lenses shipped from china, worst case could switch to in112's and swap lenses if needed. I may but a third one to do a gin4ir build. I'll take pics also and post them.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2023, 07:55:44 pm »
Here are some photos of how I mounted the projector inside the cabinets.  I did it the same on all 4 cabinets and quickly learned that not all projectors (in my case all exactly the same) are created exactly like one another.  There were a lot of slight tweeks to get the working correctly.

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2023, 07:10:58 pm »
Here is how I mounted mine. Our angles and height are a lot different. I’ll have to retake some pics, most the file size was too big.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2023, 01:30:51 pm »
Looks great!  What ever works, right?  LOL  Yeah our two projectors are day and night according to the pictures.  That is crazy that there is that much variation in these projectors.

slm4x4@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2023, 09:56:54 pm »
Infocus In124sta will also work. Native ratio is 16:9 but you can change it in the settings to 4:3. It will stay 4:3 when powered on and off.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 10:17:21 pm »
Infocus In124sta will also work. Native ratio is 16:9 but you can change it in the settings to 4:3. It will stay 4:3 when powered on and off.

Very good to know.  Thanks for the information!   8)