Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question regarding creation of cabinet art  (Read 1380 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Question regarding creation of cabinet art
« on: October 26, 2022, 12:37:08 pm »
Just a quick question here...  I've never worked on trying to create artwork to be printed out on the scale that would be needed to cover a control panel or cabinet side, so I'm just wondering if there is a minimum/preferred resolution or DPI to target to have it look decent/non-blocky at that scale?

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Re: Question regarding creation of cabinet art
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 04:56:44 pm »
Yes, I saw there was a FAQ after I posted this soooo...  sue me.  lol.  I'll read that through.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 11:56:03 am »
don't dick with the DPI when you export (png is ideal but ask your printer company if they want your raw file or an export) otherwise your size will be off when they print.

my printer prefers 90DPI which is the default export res and more than good enough.

size your page to the finished product requirements plus a little for adjustment... and specify those sizes to your printer so they can be extra sure.

for a 25 x 8 header, i would do 25.5 x 8.5 to give me ability to trim slightly and have no white show.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:01:12 am
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 05:25:58 pm »
for a 25 x 8 header, i would do 25.5 x 8.5 to give me ability to trim slightly and have no white show.

Yes - you can also set the canvas background of your image to black instead of white. Depends on your artwork.

For a marquee, you may need to accommodate the holding L brackets as well. So add ~2cm border (normally top/bottom). Trim as needed. That way your art is fully shown and sits properly.
Check out my completed projects!