Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What to do after mame HDD crash - Video card - Frontend etc  (Read 632 times)

Squizzy2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2022, 01:39:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What to do after mame HDD crash - Video card - Frontend etc
« on: October 25, 2022, 11:42:37 am »
   It's been a while and now my Mame cabinet HDD has died.

So I'm wondering now where to go next, I have a WG 9200 Monitor that supports  15/25/31KHZ
 I had a ArcadeVGA AGP card but now worried that the next thing will be the Motherboard that will go.
Used to run mame with Maximus Arcade as a Front end loader. 

Questions:

1:   I'm keeping the WG9200, But cannot find a ArcadeVGA PCi 5000 card any where! ( And Andy no longer sells them )
 So is there a video card that can support the 15,25 and 31Khzv around?   

2:  If no other card supports the  15/25and 31khz,  Do I just keep the old PC and ArcadeVGA AGP Card and get a new HDD

3: I used to have Maximus Arcade as a Frontend, Is this still ok?   Just seen that Groovy mame now seems to be the winner.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:18:46 am
Re: What to do after mame HDD crash - Video card - Frontend etc
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 05:27:18 am »
You can keep your old computer, though I bet it is getting a little tired.

Suggest you update your old system with a new SSD (to replace your dead HDD).

You may want a more recent computer to run latest MAME & emulators anyway. If you get something new(er) with PCIe, then get a CRT_Emulator ("Groovymame") compatible video card as well.

CRT_emulator + Groovymame gives you more options that ArcadeVGA can. Sorry Andy, love your stuff, but I have several ArcadeVGA cards that I'm not using anymore.

You can keep using Maximus, but there are other options available nowadays (Launchbox, Hyperspin, Attract Mode, F.E.E.L.,to name a few).
Check out my completed projects!