Arcade Collecting > Arcade1Up & Similar

I think I made a boo-boo

(1/2) > >>

marcuskeeler:
I've always had fond memories of table top machines stemming back from hours spent on them in my local pubs. I've made a bunch of Mame based projects, pc based, Raspberry, mini arcade boxes etc so have good experience with that aspect. However (I hate that word) after jumping on an Arcade1Up table top locally I realized I'd managed to overlook the obvious flaw in using the casing for a Mame machine. The 'reversing screen'. I can't find anyone that's done a successful Mame conversion on a table top but my buddy assures me he's seen it somewhere and that there's an extra piece of hardware involved.

Either I find a way to do it, I find a Galaga board for my tabletop (which would be a satisfactory compromise) or I just bounce the whole thing.

Any help appreciated.

PL1:

--- Quote from: marcuskeeler on October 23, 2022, 11:48:34 am ---The 'reversing screen'. I can't find anyone that's done a successful Mame conversion on a table top but my buddy assures me he's seen it somewhere and that there's an extra piece of hardware involved.

--- End quote ---
No hardware needed, just software setup.

The term you're looking for is "cocktail".

For games that support it, you set it with a dipswitch, in machine configuration, in the in-game menu (F2), using a cocktail version of the ROM, selecting a video mode (avoid if possible), or making a custom layout file. (worst case)

Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe:

Related thread:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162784.msg1714331.html#msg1714331

Scott

marcuskeeler:
Aaaaah, so I'm guessing it's not a normal ROM thing, in as much as they all have it.  Interesting and actually, a life saver (For my cocktail cabinet).

Does this also impact the controls? ie, designating one USB port for player one and another for player two?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it  :)

PL1:

--- Quote from: marcuskeeler on October 23, 2022, 01:57:40 pm ---Aaaaah, so I'm guessing it's not a normal ROM thing, in as much as they all have it.  Interesting and actually, a life saver (For my cocktail cabinet).

--- End quote ---
Every game in MAME offers a Video Option called "Cocktail", but that doesn't mean it will look or work exactly like the cocktail cab version of the game.

Many games had cocktail cab versions.  Some did not.

You have to take it on a game-by-game basis.

In many cases you can get one of the six approaches mentioned above to work.

--- Quote from: marcuskeeler on October 23, 2022, 01:57:40 pm ---Does this also impact the controls? ie, designating one USB port for player one and another for player two?

--- End quote ---
This is an upright Space Invaders cab.
- Player inputs are left, right, and fire.

If you look at the MAME control inputs for Space Invaders, you see that there are P2 controls listed, but those are ignored when the cab type is configured to "upright".
- During a 2 player game on an upright cab configuration, the players take turns using P1's controls.
- During a 2 player game on a cocktail cab configuration, each player uses their own set of controls.

On the other hand, the MAME control inputs for Asteroids only show P1 controls because P1 and P2 controls shared inputs on J20 pins T, 14, S, 15, and 10 seen on pg 2 of the upright schematic here and pg 5 of the cocktail schematic here.
- This is also confirmed on the KLOV asteroids pinout here.  We know that this pinout applies to a cocktail because it shows pin 19 "INV X" which is only connected on a cocktail harness.  It controls the P2 screen flipping as explained on pg 4 of the cocktail schematic linked above.

For cocktail setups like yours, in games like Asteroids that only have P1 control inputs you need to map the MAME P1 inputs to both P1 and P2 controls.

For example, in Asteroids you would map the Fire input to both Ctrl (P1B1) and A. (P2B1)
- Highlight the desired input.
- Press Enter.
- Press the P1 button. (Maps the input to that button.)
- Press Enter.
- Press the P2 button. (Maps the input to both buttons.)   ;D

Scott

marcuskeeler:

--- Quote --- For example, in Asteroids you would map the Fire input to both Ctrl (P1B1) and A. (P2B1)
- Highlight the desired input.
- Press Enter.
- Press the P1 button. (Maps the input to that button.)
- Press Enter.
- Press the P2 button. (Maps the input to both buttons.)   ;D
--- End quote ---

I see. so then whilst player one is "in play", Player Two can essentially operate the controls at the same time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version