Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PS3 blues  (Read 2131 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
PS3 blues
« on: October 20, 2022, 05:43:18 pm »
My ps3 is freezing up all the time now. It used to do it once in a blue moon. But I've had a few marathon sessions on it where it really wasn't getting good ventilation which I reckon hastened it's demise. I hear it's a common problem with them. If I'd paid attention I would have looked after the air flow better. Freer flowing air to it and also sitting it on something to lift the air intakes up for better flow as well.

Anyway, what are my options now? I hear about getting them reballed. I pulled the lid off mine hoping to find heaps of dust. It was remarkably clean. Pulling it apart I broke quite a few tabs on the stupid clip on plastic bits so I'd feel embarrassed giving it someone to fix!

I had the foresight to back up all data the other day, so I'm wondering what the best way to replace the machine is? Swallow my pride and get mine reballed? Anyone in Brisbane Australia do it?

Or, what's the best model (least hot I guess) to replace it with? Mines a super slim.

I actually play this more than all my collection combined so I'm more bummed than i thought I'd be. Some of my faves are also on PS4 so I could go that way (and I read that heat is less of an issue) but I have a few games that are ps3 exclusive.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: PS3 blues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 08:36:46 pm »
I’ve got one out in the garage but it’s probably not worth shipping to you.

Just get a PS5, man.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 02:43:36 pm »
Anything but the original fat model should be good enough. Personally, I replaced my dead fat model with a slim model and so far so good.

That reminds me that I still have my old broken model (yellow light) and that I did try opening it up, cleaning it, and replacing the thermal paste. Pretty sure the consensus is that reballing is a crapshoot and probably a temporary fix, although I didn't try it. It's a really annoying console to open up, security bit and all.

I can get a slim model for about 80 bucks with a controller from reseller shops around Milwaukee, so I'll go that route if my slim ever goes Sony on me.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 10:25:43 pm »
I have 2 fats, one BC one isnt; same as PBJ cost to ship it to you is prolly way too much.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 08:22:55 pm »
I’ve got one out in the garage but it’s probably not worth shipping to you.

Just get a PS5, man.

I had an adventure with my local retro games shop. They have heaps of stuff. Weird guy at the counter. I always um and ah about whether I have the patience to talk to him. But they had super slim PS3s for $99. Seemed a bit cheap for Australia but they do have good prices at this shop (I sometimes wonder if they are laundering money). Took it home. Came up with some sort of video error. I took it back and told him. It might be my TV he says. It's s load of crock but he agrees to test it in the shop. Same thing. He then tries the AV cable port and it works. Must be the HDMI port. He keeps insisting if I fiddle with the settings it'll be right. I say to him I'd like him to do that now to be sure. He gets a bit huffy about it. I say well it's not fit for purpose and id like a refund. He complies but really butt hurt about it.

I told him several times in sympathetic tone that these things happen and note to take it personally. He remained huffy. It's really weird because I'm pretty sure he just works there, not the owner. They've lost a customer. There's only so much oddness I can take. Remember Jennifer? They are on a different forum that I'm on crapping on my thread. That's enough oddness right there.

And, PS5? that will just set me up fort more disappointment down the track 😄
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:26:09 pm by danny_galaga »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 10:58:19 pm »
Same experience with a games place in a mall In College Station.  Same mall already had a GameStop.  Never once saw anyone buying anything ever.  Was open for years.

We had a computer shop like that in San Antonio.  Odd dude working there, never saw any customers (drove past it twice a day).  Parts stacked to the ceiling.  10 years ago, I had some cheap motherboard take a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on me, so I pull it and take it in.  “Hey, you got anything that will work with the processor and ram this used?”  “Nope, I don’t have anything that new.”  “Oh, uh, have anything similar?”  “Nope.”  It was at least five years old at the time.

I couldn’t figure it if it was money laundering… rich parents keeping the retarded son busy…..maybe the family owns the strip mall and covers expenses with rent from other tenants?

They did seem to flog junk on eBay, or at least attempt to.

And the crazy thing is they’re still open!

https://allgen.com/

This place down the street from me in Houston.  Same deal.  No customers ever.  I walk in.  “What do you want?”  “Uh, can I see a menu?”  “What?”  “Uhh… uhhhhhhn….. never mind.”  At least I was a little quicker on the “this is probably a front” revelation.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063723273566

:dunno

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:51:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 08:54:19 am »
Remember Jennifer? They are on a different forum that I'm on crapping on my thread. That's enough oddness right there.

I am surprised she found a place that will put up with her ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.

After she was booted here she went to KLOV and got booted within a few months.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 07:25:49 pm »
Remember Jennifer? They are on a different forum that I'm on crapping on my thread. That's enough oddness right there.

I am surprised she found a place that will put up with her ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.

After she was booted here she went to KLOV and got booted within a few months.

They joined April 2021. So they've lasted over a year so far!

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 03:58:47 am »
Hey Candyland! Why not join in and give us 20 pages of paranoid drivel  :)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 01:43:54 pm »
Same experience with a games place in a mall In College Station.  Same mall already had a GameStop.  Never once saw anyone buying anything ever.  Was open for years.

We had a computer shop like that in San Antonio.  Odd dude working there, never saw any customers (drove past it twice a day).  Parts stacked to the ceiling.  10 years ago, I had some cheap motherboard take a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on me, so I pull it and take it in.  “Hey, you got anything that will work with the processor and ram this used?”  “Nope, I don’t have anything that new.”  “Oh, uh, have anything similar?”  “Nope.”  It was at least five years old at the time.

I couldn’t figure it if it was money laundering… rich parents keeping the retarded son busy…..maybe the family owns the strip mall and covers expenses with rent from other tenants?

They did seem to flog junk on eBay, or at least attempt to.

And the crazy thing is they’re still open!

https://allgen.com/

This place down the street from me in Houston.  Same deal.  No customers ever.  I walk in.  “What do you want?”  “Uh, can I see a menu?”  “What?”  “Uhh… uhhhhhhn….. never mind.”  At least I was a little quicker on the “this is probably a front” revelation.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063723273566

:dunno

a friend of mine lives near this place and it's 100% a front. why does a store like this need to be open so they can sell "fried chicken" and "pizza" 24 hours a day... cause they have chicken heads showing up at all hours to buy crack and other drugs there. they also... ahem... buy and sell and trade...everything. stolen or not.

https://goo.gl/maps/s72TQLnfeWDyVQpA9

https://thegulchgeneralstore.vpweb.ca/

they guy is a total flake and always tries to run for city mayor. he usually ends up getting like 60 votes... all from his...following.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 04:09:03 pm »
I think lilshawns shop wins the prize  ;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 08:12:29 am »
But is their fried chicken any good? 

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 05:45:05 am »
But is their fried chicken any good?

I guess it depends on how many secret herbs and spices it has. I feel a prime number is key, so you can't just one up KFC and make it 12. Gotta be 13. 17 is just getting silly though. Although, i think 57 always had a nice ring to it ..