Main > Lightguns

Lichtknarre: Unmodified Wii remote as a sight accurate Lightgun using 2/4 LEDs

(1/54) > >>

RandyT:
I created this thread to share thoughts and experiences with this software, so as not to rough-up other threads.

--- Quote from: BadMouth on October 13, 2022, 03:19:53 pm ---It appears there is a piece of software called Lichtknarre that uses 4 IR LED tracking with unmodified Wii remotes.  Looks kinda janky, but I am going to try it.
Hopefully I have some bare IR LEDs somewhere.  Might try it with the dolphin bar first just to see how the software functions.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for posting about this software.  I went digging for just this type of application,but didn't see it referenced anywhere.

IMHO, this is one of the best ways to approach using the sensor in the Wii remotes for light guns.  Not only are there a number of gun shells commercially available for the controllers, but they are wireless and there are also dedicated guns which may end up working with the software, even if not using the same IR camera module.  Even cheap Knock-off Wii controllers may end up working with it, albeit likely not as well.  Based on my research, the important functions of the WiiMote IR camera module are exposed to the Wii through the remote, including the ability to sense up to 4 "blobs" (IR beacons.)  This means that anything which is possible to do with other solutions using those sensors as a foundation, should also be possible to do in an application like this one.  All without custom PCBs, desoldering components, building circuits, gutting expensive lightguns for their plastic shells, etc.

Definitely post the results of your tests here, if you would.  I will be digging the controllers out of my boxed up and stored Wii over the next few days to play with this and will probably do the same :)

Oof:  Probably should add a link so others won't need to hunt it down: Lichtknarre 2/4 LEDs Lightgun System
And by Badmouth's request, here is a link to the author's Github page for the Plugins, in case the smart folks here want to give it a shot: Lichtknarre Plugin

ryoken:
 I try it. And I most say. The tracking and accuracy is really good. I also have the gun4ir and compare to that system the latency is almost the same. But it makes everything way more convenient because it can work on the normal wiimote. And is wireless

RandyT:

--- Quote from: ryoken on October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am --- I try it. And I most say. The tracking and accuracy is really good. I also have the gun4ir and compare to that system the latency is almost the same. But it makes everything way more convenient because it can work on the normal wiimote. And is wireless

--- End quote ---

Sounds very promising!  Thanks for the report.

BadMouth:
I agree a dedicated thread is needed.  I haven't got around to testing it yet because I am dedicating a lot of time to other projects.  The author has the same guns as me though.   :D  It's good to know that they will work ahead of time.  How well is yet to be determined.

BadMouth:
I found a bag of LEDs with 940IR scribbled on it.  No idea of the specs and haven't messed with LEDs in a while, but a youtube video says 15mA to be safe, 20mA max.
Hooked up a 5v power supply (probably too much) and swapped out resistors until I got up to 19mA.  Nothing got hot.  They (or maybe the power supply) lasted about 20 minutes.

I made it far enough to verify that the guns connect and see four LEDs, but didn't make it to the point of aiming.  I could redo it using these LEDs with higher value resistors or run them in series, but the beam on them is so tight that they have to be pointed right at the gun. 

Not wanting to wait for AliExpress, I ordered what I could find on Amazon without spending too much:
3w 850nm IR LEDs with 140 degree lens built in
a constant current buck converter

To keep the cost to a minimum until I know it works, I didn't buy the pcb and housing they recommend.
For a heatsink I plan attach them to a short piece of round aluminum stock with thermal glue.
If the aluminum gets too hot I can make it longer or add heatsinks to the other end.

So not much to report yet, but I am working on it.

I did think their way of handling LED placement was kind of neat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version