Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GRS Star Wars Yoke - Control Question  (Read 1496 times)

Lamaman1971

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2023, 05:39:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GRS Star Wars Yoke - Control Question
« on: October 07, 2022, 07:50:38 pm »
Hi Folks, finally got my GRS Star Wars yoke setup and it works great. However, I have noticed the horizonal axis needs to be turned about an inch or so before the cursor starts to move in MAME - is this normal? Seems to be quite alot of movement to me!

Thanks

Mark

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: GRS Star Wars Yoke - Control Question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 09:35:29 pm »
Hi Folks, finally got my GRS Star Wars yoke setup and it works great. However, I have noticed the horizonal axis needs to be turned about an inch or so before the cursor starts to move in MAME - is this normal? Seems to be quite alot of movement to me!
Sounds like you haven't adjusted MAME's default deadzone, saturation, and analog sensitivity settings.

After you've calibrated the yoke in Windows Control Panel, configure MAME with this useful info from the sticky thread in the Driving sub-forum.
- If you don't already have a "mame.ini" file, generate one by running the MAME executable one time with the "-cc" (create config) software switch.  i.e. "mame.exe -cc"

For 270° wheels, set the joystick deadzone to .05 in the mame.ini file;
                 the default .3 means that you have to turn the wheel fairly far before it does anything.
                 Joystick saturation narrows the operating range of your wheel, i.e. you only have to
                 turn it halfway before MAME sees it as being turned all the way.  Set it to 1.

Controls are mapped the same way as any other input in MAME (press TAB in game)
                 In the MAME menu under analogue settings, adjust the sensitivity to suit each game.
                 Most 270° wheel games require sensitivity set to the 100-200 range.
                 It also may be necessary to invert one or both of the pedal axis in this menu
                 if MAME registers a pedal as depressed when it is all the way up and vice versa.
                 Digital settings adjust how key presses respond when substituted for analogue controls.
                 They do not affect analogue controls. 
                 Do not map the pedals to PEDAL INC and PEDAL DEC!
                     Do not map the wheel to DIAL INC and DIAL DEC!

Those are reserved for key presses being substituted for analogue input.
                 If you map an analog control to one of those, ANY movement will be interpreted the same as a key press would.
                 In other words, your controls won't be interpreted as analog anymore...and you're gonna have a bad time.

Scott