Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Compiling help  (Read 1393 times)

rocket5147

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 10:13:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Compiling help
« on: October 05, 2022, 01:18:18 pm »
I have an old MAME cab I'm wanting the kids to play on, and would like to have just two buttons so that they can save and load with ease and have no slots or messages popping up.  I have tried compiling myself with new and old versions with no success :(  I tried following some instructions for this in a few threads and found that the ui.c file had changed and it wasn't so easy on the new versions.  I haven't had success with any versions of the compiler and/or MAME.

Would someone be kind enough to post a link to a pre-compiled version of MAME with save/load messages removed and single button save/load?  I have given it a good go trying it myself first before posting :(

Thank you!

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
Re: Compiling help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 08:01:51 pm »
No need to double post, please keep it simple.  And as stated in the other post, that still works just fine. Im not gonna spoon feed you as i dont have time to compile a version  of mame right now. But i asure you 100% the instructions on the other post still work. But keep in mind that the source changes over time, so instead of looking in the .c file mentioned in the other post, i used an application to look for the text "State successfully loaded" and other mesages. Wingrep is the name of the app. Once you find the text you want to remove, erase the text but leave the (  ) brakets or whatever they called. Then compile and youll have a working version of mame without saves state mesages.
So if i remember right heres  is how is done today.
Download and install greowin from here
https://github.com/stefankueng/grepWin/releases/tag/2.0.11
Then asuming you allready have everything set up to compile mame, use grepwin to look for the "State successfully loaded"  wihout quotes. Once grepwing finds the text, open the file, remove the text only, leaving any quotes and brakets. Find as many mesages as you need to remove. Compile and your done.
Good luck.

abispac

• Offline Offline

rocket5147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 08:53:31 am »
No need to double post, please keep it simple.  And as stated in the other post, that still works just fine. Im not gonna spoon feed you as i dont have time to compile a version  of mame right now. But i asure you 100% the instructions on the other post still work. But keep in mind that the source changes over time, so instead of looking in the .c file mentioned in the other post, i used an application to look for the text "State successfully loaded" and other mesages. Wingrep is the name of the app. Once you find the text you want to remove, erase the text but leave the (  ) brakets or whatever they called. Then compile and youll have a working version of mame without saves state mesages.
So if i remember right heres  is how is done today.
Download and install greowin from here
https://github.com/stefankueng/grepWin/releases/tag/2.0.11
Then asuming you allready have everything set up to compile mame, use grepwin to look for the "State successfully loaded"  wihout quotes. Once grepwing finds the text, open the file, remove the text only, leaving any quotes and brakets. Find as many mesages as you need to remove. Compile and your done.
Good luck.

Thank you very much, that grep hint is a good shout, and is the very reason I was put off compiling a newer version of MAME.  I'll give it a shot and report back
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:06:42 am by rocket5147 »

rocket5147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 09:26:12 am »
Hmm... I have installed grepwin and done the search in countless number of ways, ensuring that I have content selected, sub folders, all sizes etc. and I cannot for the life of me find that term in any of the files on the latest MAME build :(

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 12:58:47 pm »
Hmm... I have installed grepwin and done the search in countless number of ways, ensuring that I have content selected, sub folders, all sizes etc. and I cannot for the life of me find that term in any of the files on the latest MAME build :(
I did had the same the problem, and made sure i was searching for text and not regex, and then searrched for "STATERR_NONE" without the quotes, and found the document i needed to modify.
After that i just deleted the mesages inside the brakets, leaving the  popmessage("", opname);
Somehow now removing the whole popmessage line messes up the compiling and it does not work.
Now with this new trick you still get like a very small square instead of a mesage, but it does not say anything.
Maybe some software guru would help us figure how we can totally remove the mesage and the tiny square that shows off.

https://mega.nz/file/GFsQRJZb#NkKDp9THqEXab7xr2Ejbh6DdjrFE0OVy_WGVz8t0lYk

i did compiled this for u
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 06:23:31 pm by abispac »

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 06:27:31 pm »
Well i think i found the solution , i deleted part of the code for the mesages only and it worked just fine, no mesages are shown now. so you might want to download this version instead, also this is the machine.cpp file without the code.
enjoy

https://mega.nz/file/bd1EwTIY#C_mriI3UfXEcbyd219mI0qcPSP3BTHkjavKSsYRuXxA

rocket5147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:04:13 pm »
Well i think i found the solution , i deleted part of the code for the mesages only and it worked just fine, no mesages are shown now. so you might want to download this version instead, also this is the machine.cpp file without the code.
enjoy

I really appreciate you taking your time to do this!  I didn't spot this thread update before I actually figured it out myself with your great tip on grepwin!  I managed to compile the very latest version and it works a treat! :)

Now I have a second question  ;D

How can I remove the save and load state messages and slots, and just simply bind one key to quicksave and one key to quickload?

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 09:37:49 pm »
enjoy

I really appreciate you taking your time to do this!  I didn't spot this thread update before I actually figured it out myself with your great tip on grepwin!  I managed to compile the very latest version and it works a treat! :)

How can I remove the save and load state messages and slots, and just simply bind one key to quicksave and one key to quickload?
Im not sure if those mesages can be hiden as they requires for you to selec a savestate or to chose how to save it. as to how to manage it with buttons, you can always use autohotkey to map buttons to functions, but thats something im no expert, someone elase would have to help you with that.

rocket5147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 09:45:31 am »
enjoy

Im not sure if those mesages can be hiden as they requires for you to selec a savestate or to chose how to save it. as to how to manage it with buttons, you can always use autohotkey to map buttons to functions, but thats something im no expert, someone elase would have to help you with that.

No problem, thanks very much for the help bud!

If anyone can compile me a version where there are no slots and it just instantly saves/loads over one slot with no warnings/popups, I would happily pay for their time.

rocket5147

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 03:52:12 pm »
Bit of a thread bump.  If anyone is able and willing to create an instant save feature with no slots or messages appearing, that would be amazing.  I've finally managed to compile the save/load messages out with some persistence, but that's just removing messages.  I believe removing a feature will take some actual skill  ;D

Happy to put the work in if anyone willing to give some good hints ;)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 05:52:21 pm »
  Disclaimer: I can't help you with all of the the how-to details on this idea.

Since the save and load processs use a specific series of keystrokes, you should be able to use an AHK script to output a macro of those keystrokes when the save or load button is pressed.  Change your "load" and "save" buttons to unused keystrokes so they only trigger the AHK macro.

For example, a macro consisting of "F7", delay __ miliseconds, and "1" loads from slot 1.

If you can't hide the message windows fully, consider putting a very simple message in the window like "Saved" instead of leaving it blank.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 05:58:20 pm by PL1 »

DoghouseReilly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:52:16 am
  • Now, more than ever.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 03:23:34 pm »
When I was using AHK with MAME years ago, I know that by default, MAME did not work with AHK. You needed to use some option at compile time so that MAME used a non-default input method which would work with AHK. I don't know if that's changed, but it's something to look out for if you can't get AHK to work.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 03:27:39 pm by DoghouseReilly »