Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Been out of the game (no pun intended) for quite some time, need some input.  (Read 1463 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Hi all...  Used to be somewhat active but have been otherwise occupied for a long time, just now looking to get back in.  I have an old cab that has a u360 and 8-way stick, a bunch of convex lit buttons (microswitch), 3" Imperial trackball and a Tron spinner fitted with an Optiwiz, and an original Keywiz for the encoder.  The PC is now completely ancient (Athlon XP system), so I have been looking at rebuilding.  I live in an apartment, so having a full cab eats up space so I might ditch it to just make a self-contained control panel using a Lenovo tiny PC (Ryzen 5 Pro 4650ge) using the iGPU.  So firstly, any examples of projects that are similar (just self-contained control boxes)?  Second, I'm not sure I'm up on the newer encoders, what is good out there now for a setup like this (all USB, no PS/2)?  I see these zero delay encoders on Amazon, are they any good?  I also have a couple of unused Aimtrak guns, so I might throw those in to the mix as well.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
Oh, and I set up the system using Win10 pro as it already has a license for it, 256GB M.2 SSD so loads quick enough.  Will also be using a licensed copy of Launchbox/Bigbox for the front end.  Are there any good guides for streamlining/hiding Win10 for this type of setup?

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
I used to use the zero delays but I've moved over to using IPACs.  A little more pricey but it eliminated for the me the USB jumping ID issue.  I know there are ways to fix it through mame but I've never had to use it with the IPAC controlling all the buttons and joysticks instead of a zero delay for each joystick you have.

On UKvac, in the mame forums, there's a guy (Chunksin) who made an embedded Windows 7 ISO with Groovymame and Attract Mode that's pretty easy to setup.  I put it on an SSD and I can hard power off the machine with no issues.  So far for a few years, no corruption issues powering it on and off with no shutdown.

When you mentioned a self contained box, do you mean a pedestal?  If so, I've always been partial to severdhed's TMNT pedestal http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134038.msg1381490.html#msg1381490

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
No, more of just a control panel box that can be placed on the coffee table for instance...  Kind of like an X-Arcade Tankstick actually, but with the PC and everything housed inside the box.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
*tap* *tap* *tap* Is this thing on?

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
114 views and one person responds?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
There have been multiple threads here to hide Windows 10.

You could start searching.

I don't bother hiding the OS on my MAME machine.

I flip the switch, go get a beer, and by the time I get back the front end is loaded up.

When people come over for a party they have no idea there is a PC in the cab.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
There have been multiple threads here to hide Windows 10.

You could start searching.

I don't bother hiding the OS on my MAME machine.

I flip the switch, go get a beer, and by the time I get back the front end is loaded up.

When people come over for a party they have no idea there is a PC in the cab.

Fair enough, but my initial post was about a few things outside of hiding Windows 10...  :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Sorry. I can't help you with any of that.

I only have one MAME machine that I setup years ago to play 4 way vertical games.

I own a bunch of dedicated arcade cabs.

My MAME knowledge is minimal.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
There have been some self-contained fight stick projects, but not too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Been out of the game (no pun intended) for quite some time, need some input.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 02:39:30 am »
Encoders from Groovygamegear or Ultimarc both still are literally PnP.

I have a U-hid that would run all of what you are talking about.
I'm sure Randy at GGG makes something that will as well.
More than one encoder obviously works as you know so that hasn't changed.

Processedmeat's suggestion on software is a good one.

I imagine you won't be using a CRT?

Make sure your PC has some processing speed if you want to run more recent games or a more recent version of MAME.
Recent updates to MAME are doing an awesome job at sound emulation but it takes some thinking speed.

Anything slower than 3.0 might gag on you.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
Re: Been out of the game (no pun intended) for quite some time, need some input.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 04:43:43 pm »
Encoders from Groovygamegear or Ultimarc both still are literally PnP.

I have a U-hid that would run all of what you are talking about.
I'm sure Randy at GGG makes something that will as well.
More than one encoder obviously works as you know so that hasn't changed.

Processedmeat's suggestion on software is a good one.

I imagine you won't be using a CRT?

Make sure your PC has some processing speed if you want to run more recent games or a more recent version of MAME.
Recent updates to MAME are doing an awesome job at sound emulation but it takes some thinking speed.

Anything slower than 3.0 might gag on you.

Cool, thanks...  I guess I just wanted to hear from the crowd if there has been anything new out there I should consider, doesn't sound like it.  GGG and Ultimarc still seem like the defacto "standards", so that's cool.

Are there any domestic (US) vendors for Ultimarc stuff, just to avoid insane shipping?  Mainly for a new U360 maybe...

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 06:51:39 pm »
It has been a fair while since I last ordered from Ultimarc, but I used to order a fair bit, and their shipping rates have always been pretty reasonable and fast. That was to Australia! I could order on a Friday and expect the DHL van next Friday.

Back then there was a Ultimarc distributor in Melbourne, but I found his markups+domestic shipping made it not worth my while.

Don't know about your US situation though.
Check out my completed projects!

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 08:36:28 pm »
It has been a fair while since I last ordered from Ultimarc, but I used to order a fair bit, and their shipping rates have always been pretty reasonable and fast. That was to Australia! I could order on a Friday and expect the DHL van next Friday.

Back then there was a Ultimarc distributor in Melbourne, but I found his markups+domestic shipping made it not worth my while.

Don't know about your US situation though.

Yeah, I remember a while back it was a bit high...  And with shipping charges all going through the roof I'm not even sure what it would be today.