Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are rgb moded tv seta, a better alternative to real arcade monitors?  (Read 778 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:59:22 pm
I ask this because, in my opinion, arcade monitors are way to old and everytime i get one, man, can even ---smurfing--- touch the baastard a little, and something breaks down. Now i have to look for cold solders, bad, this, bad that, anyway, is just frustrating. Then some models dont have any flybacks available and blah blah blah. Monitor here are cheap, but also a pain in the ass..... Using thos wey yah chassis dont help much either.
Now i have found that rgb moded tvs, look wonderfull, dont suffer from, touch me and i break, as solderings are general stronger. And most tubes dont have burn in. But the lack of easy horizontal/vertical width. So whats your opinion? am i missing something? are there out there any good new chassis that you can use with tv tubes? Any hope out there at all for crt arcade monitors? Whats your opinion?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Are rgb moded tv seta, a better alternative to real arcade monitors?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 07:31:16 pm »
depends on the condition and quality of either, really. And there are trade-offs. I'm fine using modeline adjustments to change image size and position, though i know sometimes it isn't quite perfect.

NEC/Panasonic/JVC/Grudig/Loewe/Phillips made awesome sets, with great tubes. But Nanao (and Kaga Denshi before they were rolled into Nanao) make amazing arcade monitors. While a Loewe with the E3000 chassis comes close, something like an MS29 tri-res in good condition really has no equivalent - the picture is on another level. But the chassis isn't as flexible, and will wear down faster using it for PC/GroovyMAME where you're always switching res. A consumer TV won't care what you throw at it, you can only really hurt it by overvolting something. So i get what you're saying about reliability, because that's definitely a big factor.

There are some little quirks too. Arcade monitors like the old Kaga Nanao's used a tube with a really thick phosphor coating, which smears the image slightly, but the chassis can be overdriven to a contrast level way above a consumer set. But the chassis in some TV/VCR combo's can match that (if you remove it, and amp the input).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:39:04 pm by buttersoft »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:12 am
Re: Are rgb moded tv seta, a better alternative to real arcade monitors?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 08:57:38 pm »
Arcade monitors are much simpler than TVs, therefore easier to repair.

Expensive brand TVs can be great, but are very complex. Pro video/broadcast monitors even more so. Fixing them is very difficult without a lot of thought (and probably expert help). Many parts may be impossible to find.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying using cheap late 90's early 2000's cheap Chinese TVs lately (I say Chinese, but they mostly use Toshiba jungle chips!). They are ridiculously simple TVs that are easy to mod (for component) and repair. They are common (in my area) and the chassis mostly have a similar layout to each other. Parts are common, even the flybacks are cheap and easy to find.

There are many Youtube repair videos out there too for these TVs - only trouble is you probably want to be able to understand Bahasa, Tagalog, Thai or Hindi or whatever language they are using! Nevermind, electronics is the common language.
Check out my completed projects!