Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 412 in 1 elf connected to OEM cabinet ?  (Read 613 times)

Cariba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 04:04:02 pm
  • I want to build and fix
412 in 1 elf connected to OEM cabinet ?
« on: September 14, 2022, 09:12:53 pm »
Hello All,
Sorry for such a newb question....but if a friend has an original pac man arcade with oem pcb etc...can he use the same connection used to connect to the pcb to instead connect to an Elf 412 in 1 with jamma connection? Is it as simple as disconnecting and connecting to the elf? As if its just a new or different pcb?

If so, how is the oem cabinet power supply connected to the elf board? Is there revisions needed to use the elf? I'll try to research as much as I can on this...

Thanks in advance.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:27:35 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: 412 in 1 elf connected to OEM cabinet ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 07:28:17 am »
if a friend has an original pac man arcade with oem pcb etc...can he use the same connection used to connect to the pcb to instead connect to an Elf 412 in 1 with jamma connection?
Pac-Man isn't exactly an ideal choice for a conversion like this.
- Pac-Man has a 4-way joystick, P1 Start, and P2 Start -- no player buttons.
- Most of the 412-in-1 games use an 8-way stick and need at least one player button.

If you choose to proceed, please strongly consider making any modifications temporary and reversable.  As the saying goes, "Don't maime for MAME."
- Don't hack the harness.
- Make a replacement control panel with an 8-way and some player buttons.  You can modify the artwork here to suit your new panel.

One of the other issues you'll run into with converting a Pac-Man is that the Bally/Midway 1980 hardware used 7v and 12v (see pinout here) instead of the 5v and 12v used by the JAMMA pinout (see here) or the CHAMMA (Chinese JAMMA) pinout used by most X-in-1 boards.
- The CHAMMA pinout changes some of the unused pins and grounds (pins 25-27+c-e) into button 4-6 inputs for P1 and P2.
- IIRC when pins 27 and e are connected to ground, a CHAMMA PCB won't boot properly because it thinks those buttons are always pressed.
- There are adapters like this one, but I'm not sure if it will work with a CHAMMA PCB.   :dunno

Scott