Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have any info on this type of IT cabinet?  (Read 1131 times)

game_nerd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2023, 03:11:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Anyone have any info on this type of IT cabinet?
« on: September 13, 2022, 01:49:04 pm »
I'd seen these occasionally at places like buffalo wild wings and thought the cabinets were nice, better than chopping a full size one in half.
I bought 2 recently (haven't picked them up yet) but does anyone have more info on them? I can only find one image online, from BMI gaming and it says they weigh 350 lbs!!!

I don't see how that's possible, I figured they'd be much lighter than normal cabinets. Does anyone have one or any experience with them to say otherwise?
I would like to put one of my perfect solutions in one of them to be a bags/power putt cab, or bags SSB, not sure which.

What were these cabinets officially called? did they make them for Golden tee and SSB? if they ever did does anyone know of a place that sells overlays or graphics for this style of cab to turn it into a GT or SSB? I'd probably have to get something custom made as it's probably a longshot finding a place that stocks parts for these things.

any info anyone could provide would be appreciated.
the thing looks kind of like a toilet from this angle lol

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 01:50:53 pm by game_nerd »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Anyone have any info on this type of IT cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 02:23:04 pm »
It's a big cabinet.  I'd guess that there are 2-2.5 sheets of 3/4" material making that thing up, and at ~80lbs a crack, you are probably looking at close to 200lbs right there.  The other possibility is some internal framing, and maybe even some counterweight in the pedestal. Hard to imagine that design not being a little tippy without it.

If I were to guess, I'd say it was a one-off design for that particular game that might have been shelved due to some concerns after deployment, whatever they might have been.

I'm digging the look of it as the inspiration for a V-Pin cabinet.  But it would probably need to be bolted to the floor. :)

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 08:29:26 am »
It's a big cabinet.  I'd guess that there are 2-2.5 sheets of 3/4" material making that thing up, and at ~80lbs a crack, you are probably looking at close to 200lbs right there.  The other possibility is some internal framing, and maybe even some counterweight in the pedestal. Hard to imagine that design not being a little tippy without it.

If I were to guess, I'd say it was a one-off design for that particular game that might have been shelved due to some concerns after deployment, whatever they might have been.

I'm digging the look of it as the inspiration for a V-Pin cabinet.  But it would probably need to be bolted to the floor. :)

well I messaged the guy I bought them from and asked for a guesstimate of the weight.. he says probably 280ish. it just seems like so much. I'll have to disassemble these badboys to get them down to the basement, no way I'm dragging that monster down the stairs. it's heavier than a loaded full sized cabinet.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:19 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 12:31:30 pm »
i imagine it possibly has ballast to keep it from being top heavy and prone to tipping.

Probably didn't catch on since they went 50 inch TV pedestal cabinets shortly after. it's possible they only had a run of a few hundred of them.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 11:11:24 am »
Yeah I'd think the bottom has steel or something to keep it from tipping over. It's a really cool design, I won't be able to pick them up until next week. I'll have to see what I can do to lighten them a bit. They'll be interesting projects.
These will be bags games #4 and #5 for me... Keep getting the damn things lol.

I'm gonna put my perfect solution in one of them and make it a bags and ssb combo cab.. just need to figure out an overlay for that giant control panel.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 11:14:01 am by game_nerd »

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2023, 08:02:38 pm
  • Custom Cabinets and Games FTW!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 06:52:04 pm »
I'd seen these occasionally at places like buffalo wild wings and thought the cabinets were nice, better than chopping a full size one in half.
I bought 2 recently (haven't picked them up yet) but does anyone have more info on them? I can only find one image online, from BMI gaming and it says they weigh 350 lbs!!!

I don't see how that's possible, I figured they'd be much lighter than normal cabinets. Does anyone have one or any experience with them to say otherwise?
I would like to put one of my perfect solutions in one of them to be a bags/power putt cab, or bags SSB, not sure which.

What were these cabinets officially called? did they make them for Golden tee and SSB? if they ever did does anyone know of a place that sells overlays or graphics for this style of cab to turn it into a GT or SSB? I'd probably have to get something custom made as it's probably a longshot finding a place that stocks parts for these things.

any info anyone could provide would be appreciated.
the thing looks kind of like a toilet from this angle lol

I have never seen one in person before like that.  I would have to guess that the bottom of the base is most likely steel and the rest would be made from laminated melamine boards like the old fore cabinets are with some internal support material to support for the Television set, control panel, and the game core and I/O board.
Hardware Guy: It is a software problem!
Software Guy: It is a hardware problem!
Me: Hold My Beer!