Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JPAC instead of vga/cga converter for better picture on CRT? Have questions  (Read 745 times)

Medic7000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2022, 11:13:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello.  I currently have a PC hooked up to a vga/cga converter (gbs-8100) that goes into the k7000 CRT chassis of a mk2 cab.  The screen is sharp if I use original pcb via jamma.  If I use the converter from the pc I notice the screen is not sharp.  I tried turning the focus button on the fly back but nothing helped.  I think that maybe it’s the converter or the resolution coming out of the pc?  I’m thinking of buying a crtemudriver compatible card and buying a jpac so I can hook the pc to the jamma harness and hope the screen will be sharper.  Do you think the screen will be sharper by doing this?  Another option from my understanding is after I get crt emudriver working with the card is to use a vga breakaway cable that plugs directly into the chassis RGBGS connector without using a jpac?  Would the sharpness be the same between the two options?  Right now I have a seperate control panel with 7 buttons for each player and it’s hooked up to an ipac 2 that goes into the pc.  If I decide to use the JPAC for the video, how do I go about using the controls buttons.  Do I keep the ipac 2 plugged into the pc so it can control the 7 buttons, start, coin and also plug in the jpac into the pc for the video? I heard jpac can have input controls but not sure it can handle 7 buttons, coin, start right?  Thank you for your help and sorry for so many questions and hope I can get some answers as I’m new to this!

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 09:56:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: JPAC instead of vga/cga converter for better picture on CRT? Have questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 02:50:42 pm »
Jpac does a much better job than the gbs because jpac is passing original signal and the gbs is converting it.  You will replace the ipac with the J pac.  You can sell the ipac on ebay or here.
 Crtemudriver is a little complicated but you install it then use vmmaker.exe to write config to windows what resolutions it can use. do yourself a favor and make sure you add a 640x480 resolution.
You need a crtemudriver compatible video card.  I had to use a DVI -> VGA adapter to get mine to work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:00:28 pm by bimm25e »