Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Queen of england apparently on deathbed...  (Read 4403 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
The Queen of england apparently on deathbed...
« on: September 08, 2022, 10:14:07 am »

All i can think is...

This woman is going to die and I'm going to have to reprogram all our bill acceptors and coin acceptors again cause we will issue new money after we put Prince Charles's ugly mug on them.

:badmood:

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:26:21 pm
Re: The Queen of england apparently on deathbed...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 01:03:59 pm »
I'm hoping my favourite WWII mechanic gets to 100, so she can send herself a letter
Check out my completed projects!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:46:18 pm »
I'm hoping my favourite WWII mechanic gets to 100, so she can send herself a letter

Oh yeah, I forgot that was a thing she did! (she also will send a message on a couples 60th wedding anniversary)

Guess Betty White's got lost in the post.  :P

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 01:47:40 pm »
She's gone :'(

Ropi Jo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 05:23:30 pm »

Many, including myself, were hoping she'd go well beyond that.

A very sad day.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 03:07:38 pm by Ropi Jo »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 06:01:02 pm »
charles is like 72.... if we can keep him off the money long enough for him to die and Prince William to become king before we start putting someone else on our money, the better...with having 300+ machines in our routes, i'd seriously rather only have to reprogram things once.

it's a genuine concern of mine since some acceptors are EOL and probably won't get updated with new firmware, necessitating $400 to swap out with a new unit.

keeping old ones out there despite the fact that they don't take new money is jank AF.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 06:31:50 pm »
Why would the Bank of England change anything other than the head printed on the notes?

They have no interest in making bother for people in industry. Whole lot of people out there using machines to check and count money.

Relevant things for note checkers, such as the note's dimensions, watermark and magnetic strip etc. would stay the same, wouldn't they?

What exactly do your note acceptors check?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 06:39:35 pm »
When King Bhumipol of Thailand died 6 years ago, and his son became king, all that happened was they changed the head printed on the notes. Nothing else was required AFAIK. No ATMs going offline or whatever.

They started issuing new king's head notes. Over time, as the older notes age, the banks send them off to be destroyed.

Now, most of the notes I see just have the new king.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 08:50:22 pm »
Why do you live in Thailand again?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 09:33:28 pm »

Many, including myself, were hoping she'd go well beyond that, if only to keep charlie and the horse off the throne.

A very sad day.

Yeah we wouldn't want you guys to get with the rest of the free world and embrace a true democratic republic minus all the ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- figure-head pageantry.   The queen seemed like a really nice lady and we are all sorry to see her go but keep in mind that her entire station in life was wrong because having non democratically elected leaders, even glorified honorary ones, is wrong.   

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 09:56:26 pm »
It was in the middle of an article about Queen Victoria that I read news of widespread availability of COVID boosters was at hand, but sadly being overshadowed.  Anyway, Walgreens and CVS have it.  I got mine this evening.

I’m with Howard but the family is harmless and UK people find comfort in it so whatever. 

:cheers:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 10:13:52 pm »
Why do you live in Thailand again?

Why do you ask?

Many people choose to live here for things like climate, beaches, mountains, diving, great food, lower cost of living, service oriented culture, and most of the Thai people are genuinely quite nice.

For me personally, my wife is Thai and that is ultimately the reason. We tried Australia, but there were better opportunities in Thailand for us to follow the life that we wanted.

She got a better job. Later, I got a chance leave my government policy job behind while riding high, with a modest but attractive "incentive package", which was a relief as I'd come close to burning out a few times.

Life operates at a much more relaxed pace in rural Thailand. Downsides include heat & humidity, the tradespeople work very hard but mostly don't know things you and I would take for granted, and pursuing my arcade hobby has several extra layers of difficulty added.

I learned how to speak Thai too so that helps.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 10:37:44 pm »
The queen seemed like a really nice lady and we are all sorry to see her go but keep in mind that her entire station in life was wrong because having non democratically elected leaders, even glorified honorary ones, is wrong.

Maybe someone should tell that to the Governor General of Australia, then he'd do some actual work.

[This is a subtle dig at how the former prime minister, Scott Morrison, gave himself several extra ministerial portfolios and powers in secret (with COVID "backup" as his cover story), which the GG simply rubber-stamped without telling anyone about it, or even advising the PM to do so AFAIK]

Anyway, people are mostly happy if it seems to be working well.

There was a referendum on becoming a republic back in 1999, but we voted it down! Everyone liked Lizbet too much. Wonder if it would succeed now it is Charlie? Going full republic will probably come up again before too long.

DoghouseReilly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 12:52:02 pm
  • Now, more than ever.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 08:12:38 am »

I’m with Howard but the family is harmless and UK people find comfort in it so whatever. 

Prince Andrew thanks you.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 08:20:59 am »

Many, including myself, were hoping she'd go well beyond that, if only to keep charlie and the horse off the throne.

A very sad day.

Yeah we wouldn't want you guys to get with the rest of the free world and embrace a true democratic republic minus all the ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- figure-head pageantry.   The queen seemed like a really nice lady and we are all sorry to see her go but keep in mind that her entire station in life was wrong because having non democratically elected leaders, even glorified honorary ones, is wrong.

The Queen was our gift to the world. The overwelming majority of us love and cherish her.

You lot can go on loving Trump.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 10:54:35 am »

Relevant things for note checkers, such as the note's dimensions, watermark and magnetic strip etc. would stay the same, wouldn't they?

What exactly do your note acceptors check?

no, in canada, it's quite the opposite. Bill scanning is done completely optically using ultraviolet, infrared and visible light frequencies (typically red and blue). only some of the cheapest acceptors only checked for a conductive/magnetic ink ID code printed on the backside... and that feature was phased out back in 2006 when the first polymer bills came into circulation. all the rest of the security features are for human verification of a bill.

currently, when a bill is inserted into an acceptor, a set of LED lights turn on and begin shining light on the bill. some of this is passed through the bill...some reflected off.

a drive motor with rotational feedback starts feeding the bill in. over the length of the bill, it's emissive and transmissive properties of all the light frequencies shone upon it are recorded with sensors every motor pulse... about once every 2-3 mm of length bill feed across its width for the entire length (this measures the length of the bill because a bill should only block the sensor for a certain number of pulses.) essentially ending up with 100's of numbers ranging from 0 to 255 (a sensor that sees absolutely zero light to a sensor completely open to light) and the dataset is compared to a "standard" master set stored in memory.

depending on the acceptance rate setting (how strict or loose it is), how far these values can deviate from the master stored in memory, garners whether the bill is accepted as legit or not. currently, a counterfeit bill would have to be so close to the original in makeup (materials,inks, etc) that producing it good enough to be fooled by a scanner of this type, would be so expensive it would cost more than the bill itself.

bill folds and other damage is accounted for in the datasets, (this set of numbers in this middle area can have more deviation because this is the middle of the bill and often folded here kinda thing) so that wrinkled and used notes still accept. it's actually quite often that a pristine bill does not accept because its "too good" to the dataset and scrunching it up a bit will actually make it accept.

if the bill it has scanned is deemed acceptable, it issues the command to -whatever- that credit is to be issued and the bill is fed further into the acceptor to be stored...otherwise the feed motor is reversed and it's returned.

therefore, keeping the bill identical and only changing the portrait on it, still changes the emissive/reflective properties of the bill for the area of the portrait, rendering the sampled scan invalid against the master dataset stored inside.

I worked with ICT back in 2015 to create master datasets to create the first updates when canada switched to polymer bills because i live in one of the biggest cities, we got publically issued poly bills in main circulation before everyone else did. their initial firmware releases had very VERY poor acceptance due to the fact that they had used a commemorative collector bill issued by the bank of canada that was not intended for use as circulated currency, so deviated from the actual bills that were released and used for circulation.

but yeh, having to reprogram and recalibrate 300 machines acceptors, is going to take a hot minute and a pile of money since some are EOL and not going to get updates so will have to be replaced. we are currently looking at a digital Credit, debit, RFID card reader solution for those machines because the cost of BA replacement is about the same and offers more choice despite not taking physical currency.

as for the coins, as long as they don't change the metallurgical content and the weight doesn't change, we won't have to worry too much about reprogramming those. time will tell. worst case, i have to "teach" program them (where you insert 8-10 coins of the type you want to accept) it just means a laptop lives permanently in the truck for a while.

so yeh, this is a legit concern for us.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 11:19:11 am »
Who the hell even uses cash anymore.  Strip club patrons?  Drug dealers?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 01:48:33 pm »
Always wondered how those things worked.  Even crazier than I thought.

And what was set up to be a constitutional republic here is about to reach the point of no return as the oligarch ruled dictatorship it has devolved into.

The only real question is who winds up the next reserve currency holder (or the equivalent global trading baseline going forward) and does it require large scale war to finally unseat the USD and establish who gets to rule for the next 50-100 years.

Living somewhere with an unstable power grid or a place susceptible to hurricane thrashing has taught me to always have a few weeks cash at the house- just in case.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 02:24:36 pm »

And You, when you pick up that next pinball machine deal.  Cash=Democratized Commerce.  If/when it goes away, you'll have the opposite of that.

RE: The Queen

I'm sad to see her go, mainly because she didn't seem like an awful person and she was part of the zeitgeist.  I also didn't have to pay for her existence, so I'm ambivalent to the mounds of money it takes to support that family.  It's part of British tradition, so who am I to denigrate that if the brits are ok with it?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 05:15:21 pm »
@lilshawn, thank you for that detailed explanation! It is very interesting. Things have advanced a lot more than I thought for bill acceptors!

I see now why new heads on notes is such a big deal.

Scanning the bills line by line seems hi-tech, but is pretty simple compared to the image and face recognition computers can manage these days.

Before I did the policy work mentioned above so, back to 1990's now, even late 80's), much of my work involved cash handling, though with more accounting focus. Everything from managing tills and drunken barflies to collecting coins from poker machines & payphones to managing all banking, receivables/payables for medium-sized organisations.

Can still count a big stack of cash, by hand, at speed that sometimes makes the bank tellers blush.

Could never beat those automatic bill counter machines though, no human could.

Anyway, enough of my CV.

QEII was more than just a figurehead. She had a duty as head of state, a duty which she took very seriously until the day she died, long after most of us would have "retired". I feel sad that she is gone.

Much of the roles, pomp and ceremony is about keeping the people happy, rather than themselves. I get why Harry wanted to get away from it and try to live a real life.

As for the money - there are not-insignificant allowances for this and that but much/most of it comes from their own "old money" investments.  Hard life I'm sure :P  but nobody wants to see the Queen begging for crusts or doing pole-dances for tips either.

As hinted above, I wish our GG had tried to be a bit more like her (he is the Queen's representative in Australia, after all). I think that if Boris Johnson had tried to get her to sign off on a similar stunt (assigning ministerial portfolios secretly to himself), she would have had many words for him.

If we got a King Harry one day, we could finally use this emoticon properly   :burgerking:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 05:47:30 pm »
As for the money - there are not-insignificant allowances for this and that but much/most of it comes from their own "old money" investments.  Hard life I'm sure :P  but nobody wants to see the Queen begging for crusts or doing pole-dances for tips either.

A quick Google search reveals that they cost the British people £102.4 million the last year on record...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 06:20:19 pm »
uniform :D

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 07:30:18 pm »
£102.4 million - Official expenditure by the monarchy - a rise of £14.9 million or 17% from £87.5 million in 2020/2021.

£1.29 - Cost per person in the UK of funding the total Sovereign Grant.

77p - Cost per person of the "core" part of the Sovereign Grant for official duties - not including funds for the long-term Buckingham Palace works.

Yes, not-insignificant amounts, about half a cup of cheap coffee.

Most countries pay much more to support various highly significant national cultural and traditional institutions. So there is all that, and then there is even a tourism aspect to consider. I would include these aspects if I was to really go and do some kind of value assessment or background report, either for information or advice.

It may even be good value for money once you sum all the positive (and negative) externalities, the benefits gained (or costs, like Prince Andrew atm), though that would be impossible to fully "add up" as there are both quantitative and qualitative benefits to consider.

Much depends on the incumbents, what they do with their roles/duties, and of course the money they actually have control over.

Another Google search

The Queen supported over 600 charities and was patron to 510 charities in Britain, including Cancer Research UK, the British Red Cross and Barnado's. She helped raise over $2 billion for over 600 nonprofits during her reign.

I'm not trying to be pro-monarchy, or start pointless arguments, but you can't just point at one number and leave it at that. There will be a lot of things (for UK people, not me or anybody in USA or even Canada) to consider in the future.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 08:23:27 pm »
I'll admit it's not all that much per capita.  But as for your other data, it sounds like a fair bit of "pro-monarchy propaganda".  It assumes that those funds would not have been raised sans her involvement and it's not like she was personally licking envelopes to solicit for donations.

But like I said, it's not for anyone but the brits to decide if the monarchy is worth supporting.  I know some hate it with a passion because of what it stands for and don't want to pay a penny to support it, while others feel just as strongly in support of it.  It would probably be fairer to let the people make the call as to whether or not they want to continue to support it.  The fact that they don't do this almost seems like there aren't as many still in support of it as is assumed or propagated.     

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 08:48:31 pm »
I'll admit it's not all that much per capita.  But as for your other data, it sounds like a fair bit of "pro-monarchy propaganda".  It assumes that those funds would not have been raised sans her involvement and it's not like she was personally licking envelopes to solicit for donations.

You are right to be skeptical. The numbers are headlines from a quick google trawl and deserve a better breakdown of what they mean. But I'm not going to delve into it any further, busy days.

Among other things I'm trying to put this Aussie lowboy cab back together so I can take some progress pics.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2022, 10:47:17 pm »

give you 20 bucks visa in hand for your neogeo

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 11:04:09 pm »

A quick Google search reveals that they cost the British people £102.4 million the last year on record...

The royal family has at least $40 billion in known assets (and not all their assets are known). They have no need to be siphoning off tax money.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 11:41:00 pm »
The royal family has at least $40 billion in known assets (and not all their assets are known). They have no need to be siphoning off tax money.

If that's true, then why are they still costing British taxpayers money?  More last year than before.  That's a serious question, and maybe the reason for the resentment.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2022, 01:58:33 am »

But like I said, it's not for anyone but the brits to decide if the monarchy is worth supporting.  I know some hate it with a passion because of what it stands for and don't want to pay a penny to support it, while others feel just as strongly in support of it.  It would probably be fairer to let the people make the call as to whether or not they want to continue to support it.  The fact that they don't do this almost seems like there aren't as many still in support of it as is assumed or propagated.   

Many Brits I know accept it as the status quo but understand that the monarchy is an unnecessary relic.

Deference to someone as adorable as the late Queen is certainly part of the reason that people have tolerated the whole situation.
Her offspring maybe not so much.

As Eddie Izzard has said "that's one saved ---smurfin---' Queen..."

Fewer will be happy about it all when few can afford their electrical bill there soon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 03:13:43 pm by bobbyb13 »
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2022, 05:34:12 am »
My themed musical contribution to the afternoon. One of my favourite tracks.

"There is no future... in England's dreaming"

I pogo'd to this, with my best man, at my (first) wedding.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:39:25 am by Zebidee »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2022, 06:20:54 am »
I was wondering if the sovereign grant was used responsibly, or just spent on parties...

As it turns out, a lot of it is just spent on parties!

Five minutes googling reveals:

It is used by the Queen and other members of the Royal Family to pay for royal duties, such as receptions and garden parties and visiting schools. Last year, almost 2,300 official engagements were carried out.

With the easing of restrictions following the pandemic, travel costs rose by £1.3m to £4.5m in 2021-22. This included 26 journeys that cost more than £15,000 each. For example, a Royal Train journey by the Queen to attend a G7 leaders' reception in Cornwall cost £31,796.

The most expensive trip, costing £226,383, was the the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's tour of the Caribbean in March.

The payment is based on the profits of the Crown Estate, a property business owned by the monarch but run independently.

The Queen also receives money from a private estate called the Duchy of Lancaster, which is passed down from monarch to monarch, and generates about £20m a year in profits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-57559653

The Queen herself seemed to have personal assets of around $500 million.

The Monarchy PLC holds nearly $28 billion in assets through various entities such as The Crown Estate, and the Palaces, according to Forbes.

[EDIT]
The crown holds, but cannot sell, nearly $28 billion in assets through the Crown Estate ($19.5 billion), Buckingham Palace (est. $4.9 billion), the Duchy of Cornwall ($1.3 billion), the Duchy of Lancaster ($748 million), Kensington Palace (est. $630 million) and the Crown Estate Scotland ($592 million).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielshapiro/2021/03/10/inside-the-firm-how-the-royal-familys-28-billion-money-machine-really-works/?sh=3a75c2812bcc

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 06:28:37 am by Zebidee »

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 01:33:35 pm »

Deference to someone as adorable to the late Queen is certainly part of the reason that people have tolerated the whole situation.
Her offspring maybe not so much.

This.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2022, 01:06:12 pm »
Looks like the deeper one dig, the uglier it gets.

Seems that in jolly old England there's a 40% inheritance tax for the plebs.  It's been codified that the royal family is exempt.  I guess their support payments just went up considerably.

Really starting to see now where the resentment is coming from.  Can't possibly end badly with this guy as "King"  :lol

Oof moment
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:09:43 pm by RandyT »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2022, 01:33:02 pm »
I watched this movie back in the 90s.  Their lives seem pretty damn miserable to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles:_The_Private_Man,_the_Public_Role

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2022, 02:32:59 pm »
Their lives seem pretty damn miserable to me.

That's nothing rejection of that life, along with a real job and clawing your way through life for the very existence of yourself and your family won't fix.  Oh wait...  :P

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2022, 12:01:12 am »
Sorry to all sensitive types, but I had a little laugh when I read her death certificate.

"Occupation: Her Majesty The Queen"

Well, that's it really, not much more can you say  :dunno

Long live the King :P :burgerking:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2022, 01:37:37 pm »
"Occupation: Her Majesty The Queen"

Well, that's it really, not much more can you say  :dunno

so i'm just wondering about this large gap in your resume....

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2022, 06:51:38 pm »
I watched this movie back in the 90s.  Their lives seem pretty damn miserable to me.

I watched this movie in the 90's.
I agree it didn't seem like it was all it was cracked up to be.
lot's on nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ralph

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2022, 10:24:00 pm »

If they make John Goodman King then all is forgiven.   Now to figure out how to get an invite to the royal bowling alley....