Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super GBA  (Read 2122 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Super GBA
« on: September 06, 2022, 09:47:50 pm »
So I've been threatening to make/build/buy a consolized gba solution for quite a while now.   For the longest time I thought I gameboy player would be the way to go but recent mods made me re-think that.   So the plan is to build a super gba with hdmi out and a switch-like dock allowing me to use an external gamepad.   The plan of attack is pretty straight forward.   I figured I would start with a piece of crap that nobody would get pissy if I ruined so I recently bought this:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Super GBA
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 09:48:41 pm »
I am watching this thread with great interest.

:cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 09:54:58 pm »
The screen mod I'm going to buy comes with a replacement shell, so I really don't care how beat up and nasty it is.   I'll have to wait until it comes in to get the pin count but the plan is to install one of these lcd upgrade/hdmi out mods:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804266019144.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.570b38daMrc1Ne&mp=1

Pixel perfect hdmi upgrade, a replacement shell and hdmi out for 60 bucks.... can't beat that price.

I also plan to install this mod that allows for external gamepads:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804319927157.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.570b38daMrc1Ne&mp=1

30 bucks and you have snes/mini console/wii and wiiu out.   Again you can't beat the price for what it does.

I also want to put a bow on the whole thing by making a custom wireless gamepad that fits inside a gba shell so that the feel is perfect.   This one might take a bit more work as I haven't found a ready made solution but it doesn't seem like it'd take too much hacking to make. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 10:58:50 pm »
No updates as of yet.   Waiting on parts to arrive from the slow boat from China.   I got the gba itself... it works and it looks every bit as nasty as in the pics.   Fortunately the buttons are ok and that's all I'll be using as the mod comes with a new shell.  I found an updated version of the usb-c dock that offers battery protection, is fully compatible with my screen mod of choice, and will recharge a lipo battery back.  So yeah, I got that one instead and I may add a lipo battery to the mod list.   More updates as the parts arrive.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 09:53:01 pm »
So the lcd mod came in.  The good news is the new screen works great and hdmi out works fine.   The bad news is the batteries go dead in about 5 minutes when playing a game on my 60 inch tv.   Thankfully the dock will fix this issue as it'll power the console when docked.   I'll post picks later in the week when I get a chance.   

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 10:47:24 am »
are you running it through the dishwasher to clean?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 02:18:50 am »
Oh I'm not using that nasty old shell.   The mod kit came with one... looks brand new.   

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 06:09:13 pm »
Oh I'm not using that nasty old shell.   The mod kit came with one... looks brand new.

ok.
I guess i don't understand yet what you are doing.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 06:23:23 pm »
I guess i don't understand yet what you are doing.

From what I can tell, its gonna be a GBA that acts like a console that plugs into a TV (instead of being a portable?).
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:26:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 12:10:29 am »
So the lcd mod came in.  The good news is the new screen works great and hdmi out works fine.   The bad news is the batteries go dead in about 5 minutes when playing a game on my 60 inch tv.   Thankfully the dock will fix this issue as it'll power the console when docked.   I'll post picks later in the week when I get a chance.

Sounds dangerous. That much battery draw could start a fire. I guess your battery powered GBA was never designed to share video circuits with a big TV.

Wondering if the video amp circuit is working overtime to supply current to the TV.

Hopefully the AC dock solves the issue, but may be worth checking if any of the ICs etc are getting overly warm.
Check out my completed projects!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 10:29:10 am »
Nah, the whole thing says cool.   The hdmi out itself doesn't draw that much power but it is the straw that breaks the camel's back.  I'm taking a gba that doesn't even have a backlight and adding a DSi lcd screen, while running a flash cart that draws more power than normal, while also running tv out.  It's recommended to install a lipo battery just for the lcd alone.   It's a simple mod, add two wires from the battery terminal and it's done.   I'm just not super interested in using this thing as a portable so I'm holding out on the battery mod if I can help it.