Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fretsaw project: Frankenstein's creature  (Read 1900 times)

yamatetsu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:00:50 am
  • Just because.
Fretsaw project: Frankenstein's creature
« on: September 04, 2022, 11:07:04 am »
Got the itch to do another fretsaw project. Found a cool pic of Frankenstein's creature. Turned it into a wooden one.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:08:32 pm by yamatetsu »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
Re: Fretsaw project: Frankenstein's creature
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 11:08:48 am »

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 03:58:01 pm »
Took me a while to work out what you were actually doing util I read your other posts.

Are you using one of those spiral type blades or a flat blade?

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 05:03:05 pm »
I'm using a very fine flat blade. I tried spiral blades, but, while it's actually easier cutting corners and tight radiuses (radii ?) using a spiral blade, even the finest blade makes a quite bigger cut. I'm using the cutouts to align the pieces I'm glueing to the backer board and found that it's going out of whack because the spiral blade removed too much material.
Also, the spiral blade I used does a much rougher cut than the flat blade, which required me to do much more sanding to get a result that still didn't look quite as smooth.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 02:21:09 am »
Cool stuff.
What size stock are you using?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 05:33:56 am »
The backer board is 12mm thick, the parts are 8mm. You can't see it in the pic, the shirt is actually just 3mm thick. The whole thing weighs in at about 29cm by 33cm.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 04:02:10 pm »
I'm using a very fine flat blade. I tried spiral blades, but, while it's actually easier cutting corners and tight radiuses (radii ?) using a spiral blade, even the finest blade makes a quite bigger cut. I'm using the cutouts to align the pieces I'm glueing to the backer board and found that it's going out of whack because the spiral blade removed too much material.
Also, the spiral blade I used does a much rougher cut than the flat blade, which required me to do much more sanding to get a result that still didn't look quite as smooth.

Thank you.

One more question... is your fretsaw a manual hand held saw or an electric scroll saw?

I've got a scroll saw and I'm not very good with it. I thought a spiral blade may improve my technique and results.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 01:09:13 am »
I'm using a saw like this one.

Regarding the spiral blade, have a look at this:

Also, while you're at it, check out his other vids. He does some amazing stuff.

I can confirm that the cut I get from using a (probably not very good) spiral blade looks more like it chewed though the wood than like a cut.

In which way do you get poor results? Do you have trouble staying on the lines, cutting corners/curves, doing intricate cuts?

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 05:13:58 pm »
My scroll saw is a cheapo. It lacks the rigidity to tension the blade so the blade flexes badly. The stroke is also very short and it vibrates real bad. It would probably benefit from being bolted down to a solid surface but that would mean it's in the way when not in use. My blades are also cheapos. All in all quite a bad combination.

I bought it quite a few years ago when I was wanting to get into building model boats but it wasn't up to the job.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 01:36:41 am »
Ah. My priority would be to get rid of the vibrations. If possible, I would screw it to a sturdy piece of wood, then clamp that to something solid like a table or a workbench. When not in use, unscrew the board and store it somewhere.
As for the blades, just buy some cheap spiral blades and try them out. They are easier to use, so you may get slightly better results once you have learned how to use them. Keep in mind though that having a machine that vibrates badly and using a sawblade that can cut in every direction might be a bit of a challenge.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 02:44:00 pm »
Ah. My priority would be to get rid of the vibrations. If possible, I would screw it to a sturdy piece of wood, then clamp that to something solid like a table or a workbench. When not in use, unscrew the board and store it somewhere.
As for the blades, just buy some cheap spiral blades and try them out. They are easier to use, so you may get slightly better results once you have learned how to use them. Keep in mind though that having a machine that vibrates badly and using a sawblade that can cut in every direction might be a bit of a challenge.

My workshop is being crated up bit by bit ready for my retirement move to the country next year so I wont be doing any scrolling for a while but I'll take your advise on board. Thank you.