Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FLIPPER PIN LOOSE  (Read 2179 times)

jteexy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2023, 09:17:16 am
FLIPPER PIN LOOSE
« on: August 28, 2022, 07:27:39 am »
If there is a better forum for repair ideas and tips, could someone let me know?  I'm down to the last few minor problems on my pin, and one keeps coming back.  My right flipper keeps coming loose.  There are 2 allen set screws holding it in place, and no matter how tight i make them, it loosens right up, during the first play.  Should I try some lock-tite, or do you think something is worn out?The machine is a Gottlieb Big Hurt. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: FLIPPER PIN LOOSE
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 12:20:22 pm »
"pinwiki.com" is a side project here. it's still fairly new so it's not 100% complete...but may have what you are looking for.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 05:13:26 pm »
I'd loosen them and pull the flippers out.  Take a look.  I suspect you've got wear on the shaft from where a loose flipper was dragging back and forth across the bolt.  Or the bolt is worn and you may be getting really tight but it's not actually putting much pressure.

So, three options.  I've done all three at various times. 

1 - buy replacement flipper bats and shafts.  (been awhile since I've owned a Gottlieb System3, I think what you're looking for is a "shoe and shaft")
2 - swap your left and right flippers so that the wear on your right one doesn't line up with the bolts on the left assembly. 
3 - replace the allen bolt with something a little bit longer and torque that sumbitch down.

:cheers:

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 07:53:13 am »
If there is a better forum for repair ideas and tips, could someone let me know?  I'm down to the last few minor problems on my pin, and one keeps coming back.  My right flipper keeps coming loose.  There are 2 allen set screws holding it in place, and no matter how tight i make them, it loosens right up, during the first play.  Should I try some lock-tite, or do you think something is worn out?The machine is a Gottlieb Big Hurt.

The very first thing I did with any Pinball machine that I bought... was to buy a replacement flipper kit.   They are literally the most
critical component of your machines gameplay.  They also endure the most use, and thus, are often worn out.

The first thing that usually wears, is the plastic Bearing, that holds the shaft in place.  If that is worn even a little bit.. it can cause the
flippers to be at various angles, and that will cause faster wear, as well as potentially hitting the ball with incorrect vectors.  For example,
if the ball was hit with an upwards vector, if could cause the ball to hop up and hit the glass, on certain power hits.. far more often than not.

Im used to the Williams assemblies... and they have a strong bolt, that is rare to loosen from the shafts.  But, it still can and does happen.
The biggest problem Ive had with Willams assemblies, is with the worn End of Stroke assembly.  If the rubberized cap is too worn,
it can blast past the leafswitch and potentially get stuck on the leafs themselves... leaving the flipper stuck "Up".

You can replace individual parts as needed.. but I found it was just better to buy the entire replacement Kits.. because if at least one part
has been worn down... the rest of the parts are also usually effected.  And at that point.. might as well have everything brand new.  Especially
better than risking another worn part... to cause wear to the new part you just installed.  (such as replacing the flipper.. but not the worn
flipper bearing, that has way too much play... and caused the flipper wear to begin with)

Edit:

One thing to also check, is the integrity of the actual plastic itself.  If, for example, there was a hairline crack in the place where the shaft
goes into the flipper  (in williams, I believe the shaft is permanently melted into place)..  then no matter how well you tightened the allens,
the thing would keep working its way loose (bolts would still be tight, but flipper would not be in the correct Orientation).

The threaded holes, might also be either cracked, or partially stripped.

As PBJ stated, it could be an issue with a worn shaft... but might also have been caused by a broken Bat.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 08:02:43 am by Xiaou2 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 09:59:01 am »
www.pinside.com 

Follow Jim's advice.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 12:58:22 pm »
www.pinside.com 

Follow Jim's advice.

just don't join there...

or post a question there...

or comment there...

ruthless.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 08:12:52 pm »
just don't join there...

or comment there...

ruthless.
I've had no problems there. /shrug
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 02:39:24 pm »
just don't join there...

or comment there...

ruthless.
I've had no problems there. /shrug

a few years back i was desperate to fix an issue and just created a throwaway account (thinking id probably never go back)

i made a post carefully documenting what i had, where it came from, what i had done, the steps i already took to attempt repair... asking if they believed i missed anything or what my next step might be to troubleshoot it...

i was presented with 4 or 5 posts in the first few hours asking WHY i was bothering to fix this as it was a worthless game... why i don't just send it off to XYZ repair to be fixed if i can't do it... why i don't just buy a new replacement from ABC corporation.

after a day or so i came back to the post and actually found some great information from a couple guys that did indeed help me locate the issue, but damn, there is some ravenous skulkers out there.

i did eventually make a fully fleshed out account there not that long ago

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 09:58:31 pm »
I have a great deal of difficulty finding useful information on that site.  Someone else grabbed pinballjim so I think I'm something lame like OG_pinballjim.  From what little time I’ve spent there it’s the same behavior that drove me off rec.games.pinball.  Diarrhea finger posters on every single thread.  Angry wing nut politics.  People spending far too much money they shouldn’t have on games that aren’t any good and god help you if you say anything negative about their purchase.  Useless tech advice that sounds useful but is ultimately meaningless.

The situation actually sucks because I'm having a very weird problem with one of my games right now, and I don’t want to deal with sifting through pinside for a solution.  They’re doing fine without me.

:cheers: