Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical Games on a Horizontal Tri-Sync Arcade CRT  (Read 879 times)

GroggyExpulsion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 02:09:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Vertical Games on a Horizontal Tri-Sync Arcade CRT
« on: August 25, 2022, 01:04:38 am »
Having some problems with Cave shooters running on a horizontal Tri-Sync Arcade CRT.  The monitor is a Nanao MS-2931.  Other vertical games like 1942, Donkey Kong etc looking fantastic. All other 15khz horizontal games also look fantastic

The Cave vertical shooters such as Do Don Pachi for example look like they are interlaced and look like hot p**  :)  is there are way to alter the mode likes so they look gorgeous like 1942 does

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Vertical Games on a Horizontal Tri-Sync Arcade CRT
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 02:52:41 pm »
Dodonpachi's 320 lines isn't a good fit for neither of the ranges of the typical tri-sync monitor, so you'll need to resort to stretching (i.e. won't look as good as 1942). If your monitor can't handle interlaced modes gracefully, a quick workaround is to disable option interlace in mame.ini.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

GroggyExpulsion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 03:51:16 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, I've just tried that and it's a definite improvement, and i can live with it if i have to.
Are there any other things worth trying that would retain the correct pixel ratios? I could deal with some overscan if that was a possibility

GroggyExpulsion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 04:50:07 pm »
Another minor issue that i have with vertical games on my horizontal tri-sync monitor is the occasional vertical edge stability. Not sure if this is the correct terminology, but occasional i will get a second or two where the vertical lines will kind of go out of sync for a moment and create wavy lines, i have included a youtube video which shows a very mild occurrence, but it is hard to capture it playing one handed and holding my phone in the other. To be clear though, occasionally when it happens, it is quite a lot worse than demonstrated in the video

The previously attached 1942 log is still relevant. I have also adjust the v-size which has reduced the issue i believe, and it only happens occasionally now.