Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Original Spy Hunter  (Read 2114 times)

spisi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 09:26:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Original Spy Hunter
« on: August 17, 2022, 05:40:07 pm »
So, I'm thinking about buying a Spy Hunter arcade that's in great shape, all original. The question is: Will it still have value in 10-15+ years? Will there still be a market for vintage arcades in the future? I'd like to hear your valued opinions. Thanks.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Original Spy Hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 05:47:49 pm »
yeah, sure...let me get my crystal ball out.

:dunno

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 06:19:37 pm »
It will probably take you 10-15 years to find an all original Spy Hunter.

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 06:57:53 pm »
Already did, that's why I'm thinking about buying it... lil shawn.... I asked for an opinion
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 06:59:38 pm by spisi »

ericball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 03:07:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:21:58 pm »
From a supply side - they ain't making new ones any more.  However, the majority of those which still exist (in playable condition) are likely in the hands of collectors (so the number isn't going to dramatically decrease over the next decade).

From the demand side - Spy Hunter is an iconic game with unique controls.  So there will always be demand for original playable versions. 

The question is whether the number of people who are willing to spend $$$ on that nostalgia will increase over the next decade.  I suspect the "value" will keep up with inflation, but not much more (if any).

Buy it because you want to play it, not because you think it will be worth more in a decade.
MAME Projects % completed:
2004 3 sided cocktail cabinet w/ modular CP <25%
2004 Tempest cabinet & CP > 75%
2017 Raspberry Pi Zero W w/ Lakka microconsole 50%
2021 Vertical Bartop - in progress > 80%, 100% functional

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 01:10:56 am »
If you like playing it then buy it.
If it is for speculative purposes you are buying at the peak of market price for the forseeable future I bet.

I love the game and over the past 6 months or so stockpiled all the parts to scratch build one with original hardware.

With you not mentioning the price it is hard to offer valid opinions here.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 07:42:50 am »
I love the game! I have a MAME set up and it works great so I can play the game already. But nothing is as sweet as an original! The price is $4,000. That's way over what I'd like to spend on an arcade. But, if I felt that after I'm done enjoying it, if it still had value, at lest 75% of what I paid, then I would do it. I'm just afraid that in 10-15 years I won't find a buyer and I'm stuck with a $4,000 dust collector! LOL

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 10:39:46 am »

Buy it because you want to play it, not because you think it will be worth more in a decade.

right. at this point, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you want to buy something to flip later on instead of buying it because its nostalgic to you or you enjoy playing the game... you may as well dump your money into crypto, it has about the same forecast.

#samethingissaidbutdifferent

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 09:07:53 pm »
$4,000?  Where the hell do you live?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 03:05:39 pm »
The price is $4,000.

At that price, you are already buying from a collector, who is flipping it to you to make money instead of holding it any longer.  If you are betting that they are a dummy for doing so, then place your bet.   Otherwise, I would seriously ask myself what they know that I don't. 

In the end, it's your investment.  Nobody else is likely to have any reasonable idea if it's a good one at that price.

Now if you said it was in good shape and in the range of $500-$1000 you would probably get some spirited opinions.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 06:13:55 pm »
$4000 is Steep...  At that price, it would have to be completely in Like-New condition.
New stickers, perfect paint, restored controls, etc.   Basically, Museum Quality.

But $500 to $800 ?!   Good luck with that !

Spy Hunter is an Epic classic,  and its getting harder and harder to get one.

This was one of my grail games... and I had been searching for one for a few years.   I got mine at an Arcade Auction,
for $800... non restored (needed a replacement pedal assembly).   That was probably like 10yrs ago... when my buddies
were telling me to wait for a more reasonable price of like $500 to $600.    This was also for the Standup version...
and I Really wanted the Sit-Down... which is even Harder to find, and more expensive if you do find it.

As such... Im pretty sure you will rarely find them for under $800 these days.. if you can find them at all.  Most
collectors wont ever let this one go.  Its simply too addicting of a game... Even more so, when you get good at it.

I had to sell mine, sadly... due to financial ruins.. and its one of my biggest regrets, of anything that Ive had to lose.
Before I sold it.. I restored it to a fantastic level.  Removed the pedal rust, repainted all the controllers.  Even stripped
a spare power supply, and buffed the housing to a sparkling shine.

There is nothing like the original Wheel.  Its designed to be Slammed with all your might... to be able to bump the
baddies off the road... due to genius level programming, that determines your horizontal velocity.  If you bump too
slow... they wont be effected much if at all.  And if they are bumping at the same time... their velocity will be pit
against yours... and the stronger values will determine whom goes Flying... and how far.

The Gas pedal is smooth as silk... and very high resolution in its readings, and speed control.  It uses a high gear
ratio with small teeth gearing.  I believe the Pot for it, is a 10-Turn pot.  The steering wheel uses the same
high gearing, and the same pot.

The gearing is often an issues on the pedals... as if the pedal has gotten out of whack, the small gear teeth do not
mesh correctly, and some of the teeth wear or sheer off.  This is how mine was, and I had to rebuilt my pedal from
the parts of two different pedal assemblies.

The other pedal issue... is what happens when people use a trick to make the car go faster.  They place the pedal
above the lever assembly... and the pedals metal stopper brackets cut into the lever bar... eventually flattening
the bar, or completely sheering it off.   One of my buddies solved this issue, by installing a block of wood under the
pedal.. so that the wood would wear, instead of the lever bar.

As one might speculate... that if your pedal assembly's gears are stripped... and or you cant find these unique
pots to replace them with... then you have a useless machine.   This often leads to these machines getting
parted out.  Especially because nobody has ever made any replacements, as far as I know.

Toss in issues with bad power supplies, and no more CRT availability... and you start to realize how many of these
games were trashed, and why.  And why they are getting Much harder to find in working condition, and at reasonable
prices.  Especially considering how universally loved the game is.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 06:54:16 pm »
no more CRT availability

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 10:33:23 pm »
It puts the CRT in the basket

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 09:22:28 pm »
no more CRT availability

Did you ever get the monitor I gave you working?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 10:52:21 pm »
Pffft.

I found a remote board for it.

It was in either vertical or horizontal collapse. I cannot remember.

I didn't have an immediate use for it so it is on my monitor shelf right now.

It will make a nice monitor for a light gun cab. I just need to get to it.

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 09:17:25 am »
$4,000?  Where the hell do you live?

Long Island, I've given up on it...too expensive...I'll regret this one day
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 09:18:57 am by spisi »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 10:17:02 am »
no more CRT availability

Did you ever get the monitor I gave you working?

Check your PMs.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 01:01:31 pm »
too expensive...I'll regret this one day

If you think it's too expensive today, there's no point in regretting it later :)  My golden rule in investing in anything is to never invest more than you can easily afford to or wouldn't loose sleep over if at least half was flushed down the toilet.  If neither of those hold true, one should probably steer that capital toward something more practical.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 11:50:00 pm »
4K was too much anyways. You'll find one for a better price. Half the fun is finding one that needs work and restoring it. I would never look at these games as investments. The hipster crowd may have a passing fancy, but they're the wrong generation; they didn't grow up with these games and don't have the same nostalgia for them. These games will eventually be desired by fewer and fewer people. Just find another one and fix it up. There's lots of great information here and on KLOV to get you going.