Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dual source ( MISTER FPGA and PC MAME emulation) to component input of CRT  (Read 1250 times)

Roland_001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2023, 10:17:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi all,

I've been "building" my first Arcade for about a year now.  I've finished most of the structural side, and am ready to figure out the rest of the electronics.

As a reference, I'm going for an "old-school" stand-up arcade with CRT look.  The CRT is an early 2000's 27" JVC i'Art that has component in, S-video and composite.  I'm aiming to feed it only component video.
For controls, I've made a control panel wired to an Ultimarc Ultimate I/O I-PAC controller, which connects via USB.

So far, the MISTER FPGA, using VGA to Component break-out cable, outputs perfectly to the CRT, and the IPAC controller works well with it, no issues.  The PC hasn't arrived yet, but from what I've read, once I go through the process of installing the EMUDriver and configuring it, it should also be able to do analog 15khz output via the DIV-I port to a CRT.

This poses a few challenges that I'm hoping you all can help me with:

1) How do I go from analog 15khz via DVI-I, to component in on the CRT?  Do I need a DVI/VGA Transcoder?  After a lot of searching, I was able to purchase a Retrotek VGA to Component transcoder.  I assume I'll need a DVI-I to VGA adapter, and from there, feed into the VGA end of the transcoder, and from the component-OUT to the CRT?

2) Is it possible to go from DVI-I --> VGA Adapter --> VGA-IN KVM --> VGA-OUT KVM --> VGA to Component Transcoder --> CRT?  Similarly, wondering if a VGA KVM would take the raw VGA output from the MISTER FGPA, and feed it as VGA OUT without altering the signal? 

Alternatively, I've ordered an Audio Authority 1154A Signal Sensing Digital A/V Input Selector Switch, which, from what I've read, can automatically switch between two different component sources depending on which one is drawing power (which would be controlled by a pair of external buttons that turn on/off the MISTER or PC respectively).

3) Whatever route I go with, most likely I'll have to have some type of external switch (either KVM to swap video and USB, or USB switch if the I end up using the Audio authority component switch mentioned above).  I know they make KVM and USB hub switches with an external push-button for swapping.  How difficult/complex would it be to wire this up to either a toggle switch (preferred) or push-button style switch for the control panel?  I realize that I'll still need separate controls to turn the individual computing devices on and off - I've got plans for that already.

If there are more elegant ways to achieve the same end-result (high quality video output to a CRT, and ability to choose PC MAME or Mister FPGA) I'm all ears, as I've not committed to any one solution yet.

Thanks in advance!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:53:02 pm
Hi  :)

1) How do I go from analog 15khz via DVI-I, to component in on the CRT?  Do I need a DVI/VGA Transcoder? 

Yes.

2) Is it possible to go from DVI-I --> VGA Adapter --> VGA-IN KVM --> VGA-OUT KVM --> VGA to Component Transcoder --> CRT?  Similarly, wondering if a VGA KVM would take the raw VGA output from the MISTER FGPA, and feed it as VGA OUT without altering the signal? 

I've taken analog VGA RGB direct from Mister and plugged it into my GreenAntz VGA RGB to component transcoders, and then to component TVs, and it simply works.

Although I've never routed video through a KVM, but would assume yes, everything would work just fine.
Check out my completed projects!

Roland_001

• Offline Offline
Thank you.  I have the parts coming in tomorrow.  Will experiment a bit and post an update.

Roland_001

• Offline Offline
Re: Dual source ( MISTER FPGA and PC MAME emulation) to component input of CRT
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 10:22:02 am »
So I wanted to update my post, in case it helps anyone down the road.  I have a basic working system, with all the subcomponents integrated and working as intended.  I'm still in the process of "beautifying" the cabinet (painting, decals, few cosmetic improvements, etc.).  However, the core functionality is now there, and IMO, that was the hardest part.  Hopefully this can help someone else down the road if they want to create a dual-use retro-arcade system (Mister FPMA + MAME style PC):

Gaming systems:

PC Running BigBox/Launchbox, using RetroArch and MAME as main emulators
Mister FPGA

Displays:
JVC I'art 27" CRT with component Input
LCD Monitor (for now, for configuring.  Will eventually replace with a Marquee-style LCD, such https://pixelcade.org/lcd/)

Audio:

Specialized Hardware:

KVM: CKL HDMI + VGA Dual Monitor KVM  (Specifically chosen because it has external switch which can be modified to allow externalizing controls to front of arcade cabinet)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZ6RPTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sapphire Nitro R9 380x GPU (highest-end AMD GPU that can still output analog 15khz signal via Emudriver, and as a ROM that can be flashed with Atom-15, which will force 15khz signal during Windows boot-up).

VGA to Component transcoder.  There are several options, but currently I'm running a https://www.ebay.com/itm/174166352619, which is made by a well-known arcade enthusiast (I believe he's on this board).

Audio:

DAC (digital to analog converter, to take Toslink audio from Mister FPGA and convert it to Analog to feed speakers. The native Analog out from Mister FPGA is pretty poor quality)

Logitech Z333 Speakers and subwoofer (specifically chosen b/c they have an external control unit, which can be modified to externalize audio controls for arcade cabinet)

Controls:

USB Hub (had to try a few until I fond one that worked with Mister FPGA and KVM switching)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NMVGP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ultimarc Ultimate I/O
https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/i-pacs/i-pac-ultimate-i-o/

Ultimarc Servostik x 2
https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joysticks/servostik/

Servostik controller board x 1 (can control two Servostiks)
https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joysticks/servostik-control-board/

Various RGB buttons, harness extension and RGB extension wires from Ultimarc

================================================

The Setup:

The KVM feeds pre-processed video signal to the CRT, via a VGA to Component (RCA) breakout cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T6OHNU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mister:
Analog output (VGA socket) ==> KVM "PC 2" VGA input
HDMI output ==>KVM "PC 2" HDMI Input
USB hub of Mister ==> KVM "PC2 USB"
Toslink Audio out ==> DAC ==> KVM "PC 2 Audio In"

PC Running BigBox/LaunchBox:
DVI-I (On Sapphire GPU running EmuDriver) --> DIV-I to VGA adapter --> VGA to Component Transcoder  --> Component to VGA break-out cable (same cable as above, just in reverse order)  --> KVM "PC1" VGA Input
HDMI Out --> KVM "PC1" HDMI Input
Line out --> KVM "PC1" Audio In

KVM:
Powered USB Hub -->Front USB port (all shared USB peripherals, such as I-PAC controller, etc. plug into the hub)
Audio, VGA and HDMI Inputs from the two systems (see above)
VGA Out --> VGA to Component break-out cable --> CRT
HDMI Out --> Marquee (or spare monitor for configuring)
Audio Out --> Logitech Subwoofer, which controls L and R speakers and has external audio control switch. Speakers are mounted in the cabinet, behind the Marquee.

I also spent a fair bit of time learning basic electronics/soldering, and had to purchase related equipment (Soldering and de-soldering station + a dedicated soldering iron), to externalize the KVM control and audio control, to a 3D printed control panel on the front of the arcade.  This is definitely optional, but makes for a cleaner look (but took ... months to work out, design, etc.).

I'm still in the process of "beautifying" the cabinet (has no paint, artwork, etc.).  Once it's all done, I hope to update this post and add pictures.