Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: State of 4K monitors/TVs and Vector games?  (Read 898 times)

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
State of 4K monitors/TVs and Vector games?
« on: August 16, 2022, 08:08:14 pm »
I'm thinking with 4K monitors/TVs would be so much better to emulate the glow of Vector ray and drop off of the glow. With such a small pixel could be even randomized so it wouldn't look the same every time.

My question is, is there any work in that direction? Anyone is trying to achieve something like that? Is 4K a solution to that issue?

The 32" 4K Monitors/TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper. Would love to finally have nice, crispy looking vector games.

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: State of 4K monitors/TVs and Vector games?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 09:59:13 am »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:49:54 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: State of 4K monitors/TVs and Vector games?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 02:46:46 pm »
I'm thinking with 4K monitors/TVs would be so much better to emulate the glow of Vector ray and drop off of the glow. With such a small pixel could be even randomized so it wouldn't look the same every time.

My question is, is there any work in that direction? Anyone is trying to achieve something like that? Is 4K a solution to that issue?

The 32" 4K Monitors/TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper. Would love to finally have nice, crispy looking vector games.

The monochrome vector titles are the trickiest to make look authentic, due to their continuous light patterns, but I would bet that smaller displays with 4K resolution, with the proper settings for bloom and some custom overlays, even those would look extremely nice.  The bump to 1024x768 from the standard arcade resolutions makes a huge difference.  I can only imagine that a 4K OLED would be much better, if not a little too perfect.

The biggest issue with emulating these well is the necessity to properly manipulate all of those pixels.  This means a fairly high-end CPU and/or GPU, so one probably wouldn't get very far with the typical cheap MAME computer.

But if vector stuff is very important to you and you have the cash for the toys or already have a system/display which can handle it, I'd jump in and start experimenting with what's available right now.  You might be happy with what's currently available and any further development in that direction will very likely require whatever high-end hardware you might end up purchasing/using.