Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trackball as mouse  (Read 1096 times)

warsong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2022, 10:25:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trackball as mouse
« on: August 12, 2022, 11:57:27 pm »
Hey everyone,

I know a lot of people install trackballs on their CPs in order to play the games that require them (golf, bowling, marble madness, etc..) but I’ve also seen some people talk about how it becomes a mouse for windows. I understand the PC will recognize it as a regular mouse but what do you use as mouse buttons? Can the player buttons on the CP be used for both mouse buttons in windows and player buttons in MAME (using an I-PAC)? Is this kind of setup worth considering or is just using a wireless mouse easier?

Thanks!  :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Trackball as mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 12:48:37 am »
what do you use as mouse buttons? Can the player buttons on the CP be used for both mouse buttons in windows and player buttons in MAME (using an I-PAC)? Is this kind of setup worth considering or is just using a wireless mouse easier?
Strongly consider not using mouse buttons as player buttons.
- There's way too much chance that a drunk friend or button-mashing kid right-clicks on the wrong spot, pulls up a menu, and messes up your configuration in ways that might take months for you to fully fix.   :banghead:
- This follows the same line of reasoning as not having a TAB (menu) button or shifted function (P1 Start + Joy1 Right) on your system.

That said, you might consider using a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch to turn two normal buttons like P1 Start and P2 Start into mouse buttons.
- One pole of the switch connects the P1 Start Button wire to either the IPac P1 Start input or the IPac Left Mouse Button input.
- The other pole connects the P2 Start Button wire to either the IPac P2 Start input or the IPac Right Mouse Button input.
- Hide the switch where only you can access it.

DPDT
                                switch
                                       ____ IPac P1 Start input
    P1 Start Button ____/ ____ IPac Left Mouse Button input
                                    :
                                    : ____ IPac P2 Start input
    P2 Start Button ____/ ____ IPac Right Mouse Button input

If this approach looks too complicated, use a wireless mouse.

Either way, once you've got your system fully configured you probably won't need mouse buttons very often . . . unless you're the type that is always fiddling around with your setup.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 12:53:38 am by PL1 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 10:54:37 am »
- There's way too much chance that a drunk friend or button-mashing kid right-clicks on the wrong spot, pulls up a menu, and messes up your configuration in ways that might take months for you to fully fix.   :banghead:

Backing up your system or cloning the drive eliminates that problem.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 11:46:04 am »
That is a best practice all too often forgotten until after one needs the backup image.   :embarassed:

More layers of protection (backups + no TAB button/shifted function + no mouse buttons . . . ) decrease the odds of having to deal with a difficult recovery after an unfortunate incident.

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 12:40:38 pm »
I have an ipac4 and a U-trak trackball. You can definitely assign mouse buttons to any inputs on the ipac4. The Utrak has a lower resolution than a standard mouse and for that reason I don't find it convenient to use as a PC mouse, but it certainly can be used once in while if you need to move the mouse pointer for some reason.

I use Hyperspin frontend and haven't had any issues over the last several years regarding having a pair of arcade buttons assigned as mouse inputs. Initially, I assigned the arcade buttons as mouse buttons because of an emulator that wouldn't let me remap the mouse buttons, but then I just left them assigned because it never was an issue. I'm sure the dangers of having mouse buttons on your CP will depend on your specific setup and you'll find out sooner rather than later.

warsong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2022, 10:25:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 03:55:34 pm »
what do you use as mouse buttons? Can the player buttons on the CP be used for both mouse buttons in windows and player buttons in MAME (using an I-PAC)? Is this kind of setup worth considering or is just using a wireless mouse easier?
Strongly consider not using mouse buttons as player buttons.
- This follows the same line of reasoning as not having a TAB (menu) button or shifted function (P1 Start + Joy1 Right) on your system.

That said, you might consider using a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch to turn two normal buttons like P1 Start and P2 Start into mouse buttons.
- One pole of the switch connects the P1 Start Button wire to either the IPac P1 Start input or the IPac Left Mouse Button input.
- The other pole connects the P2 Start Button wire to either the IPac P2 Start input or the IPac Right Mouse Button input.
- Hide the switch where only you can access it.

DPDT
                                switch
                                       ____ IPac P1 Start input
    P1 Start Button ____/ ____ IPac Left Mouse Button input
                                    :
                                    : ____ IPac P2 Start input
    P2 Start Button ____/ ____ IPac Right Mouse Button input

If this approach looks too complicated, use a wireless mouse.

Either way, once you've got your system fully configured you probably won't need mouse buttons very often . . . unless you're the type that is always fiddling around with your setup.   ;D

Scott

You bring up some good points I hadn’t fully considered. Thanks for the advice on the DTDP switch. I’ve never heard of that before but it seems like a nice idea to keep the CP clean and not have to use extra buttons!

I have an ipac4 and a U-trak trackball. You can definitely assign mouse buttons to any inputs on the ipac4. The Utrak has a lower resolution than a standard mouse and for that reason I don't find it convenient to use as a PC mouse, but it certainly can be used once in while if you need to move the mouse pointer for some reason.

I use Hyperspin frontend and haven't had any issues over the last several years regarding having a pair of arcade buttons assigned as mouse inputs. Initially, I assigned the arcade buttons as mouse buttons because of an emulator that wouldn't let me remap the mouse buttons, but then I just left them assigned because it never was an issue. I'm sure the dangers of having mouse buttons on your CP will depend on your specific setup and you'll find out sooner rather than later.

Thank you, good to know!

Def plan to make backups haha!