Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: .187" Tab and Crimped Harness  (Read 1278 times)

dpisacane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 08:47:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
.187" Tab and Crimped Harness
« on: August 07, 2022, 10:07:13 am »
I feel a bit silly asking about this on here, but I bought a MiniPac Opti from Ultimarc recently and have a small issue.  I was messing around a little bit and slipped one of the crimped ends from the wiring harness onto a post on one of my microswitches.

The problem is that now it appears to be stuck on there.  I can see that there is some sort of pin/tab that pokes through the hole in the tab to lock it in place, which seems like a smart design choice, but now I just can't figure out a good way to get the thing off without potentially breaking something.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So sorry to ask such a basic, silly question, but I really am stuck.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: .187" Tab and Crimped Harness
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 11:13:04 am »
I just can't figure out a good way to get the thing off without potentially breaking something.
Insert a common (flat) screwdriver between the body of the microswitch and the QD -- either straight down (end of blade touching tab) or from the side. (side of blade touching tab)

Gently twist/apply leverage to push the QD off the microswitch tab.

Scott

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:16:03 pm »
Got it.  Thanks a lot for the help.  I will give it a try when I get home.

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 10:14:00 am »
Hello, again,

So, I was able to get the crimp connector off of the microswitch, although I couldn't quite figure out how to use the technique described by the previous poster.  Ultimately, I just took a small jeweler's screwdriver and used that to push the tab down while pulling on the connector to remove it.  That worked, and afterwards, I came across this video which seemed to verify that I was on the right track:

Now I did notice that he also mentioned the technique described above, but I can't see how it would even work, given that the tab is preventing the connector from being removed.

All of that said, I'm in another bind.  I was messing around this morning with the daisy chain harness for the ground.  My plan was to only push the connector in halfway, so I wouldn't have to worry about the tab locking, at least for now.  Of course, my finger slipped, and I locked it.  However, now I have another locking female spade crimp connector stuck onto something I don't want it on.  Only this time, there is no way for me to insert a screwdriver into the hole with the tab to release it.

So... any advice as to how I can remove this thing without damaging anything?

I hope this isn't getting annoying, but I'm really stuck, and I would rather not damage any of this stuff since, as I'm sure you all know, anything from Ultimarc ships from London.  I would feel really stupid if I had to pay a fortune for a wiring harness that I broke because I didn't know what I was doing.

Anyway, thanks so much for the help so far.  I really appreciate it.

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 10:18:34 am »
Here are the pictures.  For some reason I couldn't post them from my phone...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 07:22:06 pm »
With the right size common screwdriver, one of these approaches should work.

Scott

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 08:42:47 pm »
Okay, those arrows are really helpful.  I am going to give that a try right now.  Thank you so much for your quick response.

I still don't completely understand how this will disengage the tab, as it seems really locked in there, but I will absolutely give it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 08:45:30 pm by dpisacane »

dpisacane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 08:58:41 pm »
It worked!  Thanks so much!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 10:19:27 pm »
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

I still don't completely understand how this will disengage the tab, as it seems really locked in there
The locking bump is rounded.

Apply enough pull on the QD and the bump will smoothly ride up on the microswitch tab hole, bending the bump tab up enough so you can pull the QD off the microswitch tab.

If the locking "bump" was a cylinder (think round peg in a round hole) or flat/square like the locking tab on a Dupont connector, you would need to gently lift the locking tab to disengage it without causing damage.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 10:33:11 pm by PL1 »